PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind - Overhaul Project Released

Dhruin
February 6th, 2011, 04:45
The Morrowind Overhaul project that we covered via RPG Italia a little while ago has been released. The official discussion is here (http://morrowindoverhaul.net/forum/index.php/topic,12.0.html) and project lead KingPix has been commenting in our forums in this thread (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12495&page=2) as well.
Thanks, Escalbryt!
More information. (http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=16700)

darkling
February 6th, 2011, 04:46
The Nehrim guys made their mod work with a single installer. How are these guys unable to do that? Are they that much worse? Could they ask the Nehrim guys for help on how to set that up?

JDR13
February 6th, 2011, 05:14
What's the big deal? Is it really that hard to install?

spiraling69
February 6th, 2011, 05:40
What's the big deal? Is it really that hard to install?

for one reason or another, I never had the chance to play or even know the lore behind Morrowind. Is it worth trying?

Rills
February 6th, 2011, 05:42
Been reading the other thread and it seems that FPS may be an issue for some. I wonder what PC hardware will run Morrowind Overhaul with decent FPS.

spiraling69, give us an idea what kind of RPG style you like and we can give you a good answer.

Daroou
February 6th, 2011, 08:03
Very nice!! So I see the game is $20 on STEAM. Any place to find it cheaper online?

KINGPIX
February 6th, 2011, 10:04
The Nehrim guys made their mod work with a single installer. How are these guys unable to do that? Are they that much worse? Could they ask the Nehrim guys for help on how to set that up?

This is a bit different.
Morrowind with these tools needs a tweaking for EACH PC.
You can't use a default configuration or it simply will not work, or it will work bad.
And not to mention the personal tastes, everyone has to choose his settings.

Also, thanks for the news :)

souha13
February 6th, 2011, 11:48
Hmm, I've played morrowind many times but lost my saved games. Annoying. From what I understand they will release more mods with gameplay and quest modifications as well? So maybe its better to wait before installing?

bemushroomed
February 6th, 2011, 12:04

That's quite unfair to compare to since the Nehrim install itn't even nearly as advanced.

MGE changes the graphics to a whole new level with completely new shaders (more "next gen" than Oblivion's shaders), much better draw distance, new FOV, lots and lots of other stuff.

The Code Patch alters the .exe file to fix bugs and it even makes some additions to the game. Quite unbeliavable they've acutally manged to do that without having access to the source code.

What you should be comparing it to is to install everything manually, then you'll understand how easy this really is. I probably spent weeks installing MGE and mods the first time (100 or so mods) heh, this is nothing..

for one reason or another, I never had the chance to play or even know the lore behind Morrowind. Is it worth trying?

Do you enjoy free roaming RPG's then of course, it's the best one (and imo the most beautiful one) out there.

It does require a very good computer though to get a smooth (30'ish) framerate.

hishadow
February 6th, 2011, 12:14
Quite picturesque. :)

Twotricks
February 6th, 2011, 13:04
Ok, good reason to play Morrowind :D

ikbenrichard
February 6th, 2011, 13:20

I played morrowind first (ofcourse) and found oblivion only better at SOME graphic related stuff. Overall to me morrowind is the best RPG with an open world. Well except fallout 1/2 then, there even better ;).
However morrowind is alot more complex, read less streamlined. Ofcourse to me this is an PLUS. Oblivion is way to simply in that respect.

bloodlover
February 6th, 2011, 13:28
This actually looks better than Oblivion xD . The only problem will be the installing.

ikbenrichard
February 6th, 2011, 13:41
I do not understand why the install cannot be made (even) more simplyfied?

KINGPIX
February 6th, 2011, 13:59
This actually looks better than Oblivion xD . The only problem will be the installing.
Well, it's not that hard.

I do not understand why the install cannot be made (even) more simplyfied?
Because you can't skip the MGE or code patch processes with pre-defined options.
Every PC must have its individual configuration.

Escalbryt
February 6th, 2011, 14:04
well,
why do you have enter a plane or a helicopter to fly?

It's simply not possible.
This is a 10 year old game. to archieve graphics similar in quality to Oblivions you have to do many tweaks, that go really in depth, like (as far as I comprehended) DirectX settings, that are the base to the whole rendering process. The Morrowind.exe gets decompiled to optimize it and so on. these are changes, that are usually to be made by professionals. Morrowind Overhaul makes it possible for almost any user who can spare half of a day to carefully read and follow the installation instruction to heavily change the looks of Morrowind.

And if youre having trouble with the installations you can get quick help in the forums...

Alrik Fassbauer
February 6th, 2011, 14:07
Having to know technical aspects of a thing - like for installation process, in this case - is also often a hindrance for those who just don't want to or don't even have the skill to medle about wth technology.
There *are* people out there who just want to play.
On the other hnd, for modders or for other people having good knowledge of the technics of this main game, the installation is a thing of seconds, probably (what i mean in German : "die Installation ist für sie ein Klacks").

ToddMcF2002
February 6th, 2011, 15:49
I'd load this up just to hear the wonderful Morrowind score again.

ikbenrichard
February 6th, 2011, 16:13
Well, it's not that hard.

Because you can't skip the MGE or code patch processes with pre-defined options.
Every PC must have its individual configuration.

Ok, guess making that step automated is alot of work?
anyhow iam glad you made a good effort and because of this effort iam gonna replay one of the greatest RPG ever.

ToddMcF2002
February 6th, 2011, 16:21
Checked out the video for this. Wow. Now I've got to get my lazzy butt to the basement to go through that giant cardboard box of doom to find my GOTY disks!

KINGPIX
February 6th, 2011, 16:59
Ok, guess making that step automated is alot of work?
anyhow iam glad you made a good effort and because of this effort iam gonna replay one of the greatest RPG ever.

It's not a lot of work, it's impossible. :)
Everyone has his tastes!

ikbenrichard
February 6th, 2011, 17:22
It's not a lot of work, it's impossible. :)
Everyone has his tastes!

True, well iam glad you and your team made something good. now, i guess all i need is some free time .

ToddMcF2002
February 6th, 2011, 17:29
Need more seeders on that torrent! Thanks for doing this folks. The install looks pretty strait forward despite the number of steps.

KINGPIX
February 6th, 2011, 18:10
Need more seeders on that torrent! Thanks for doing this folks. The install looks pretty strait forward despite the number of steps.

Yeah the torrent is pretty new.
Fileplanet is a good host by the way :D

leth
February 6th, 2011, 18:29
This is pretty awesome! Thank you for the great work. However, I ran into a snag with installation of the code patch (yeah I know the very first step... :P ). I have the GOTY version from impulse, so it has the 1.6.1820 patch, however, when I tried to use the code patch, this is all I get :(

Analyzing Morrowind.exe...
Backing up Morrowind.exe to Morrowind.Original.exe
There is no compatible patch for your version of Morrowind.exe. Make sure your Morrowind is patched with the last Bloodmoon patch (v.1.6.0.1820). If you should have a compatible version, please check you have not installed other patches such as Exe Optimizer, fpu2sse or no-CD patches. Check the readme for more details.
Patch failed to apply.

Please help.

Also, I have not touched Morrowind in ages, has there been any mods available to enhance the physics of the game or the animation of the game? One thing that always bothered me about TES-related games is their "slip and slide" looking 3rd person animations, so hopefully there are some improvements made by the awesome modders for morrowind.

spiraling69
February 6th, 2011, 18:40
Been reading the other thread and it seems that FPS may be an issue for some. I wonder what PC hardware will run Morrowind Overhaul with decent FPS.

spiraling69, give us an idea what kind of RPG style you like and we can give you a good answer.

well, Ive played Oblivion and I am very much looking forward to Skyrim. I just don't know how Morrowind fits in. Is it a good game? What is the story behind it?

KINGPIX
February 6th, 2011, 18:50
This is pretty awesome! Thank you for the great work. However, I ran into a snag with installation of the code patch (yeah I know the very first step… :P ). I have the GOTY version from impulse, so it has the 1.6.1820 patch, however, when I tried to use the code patch, this is all I get :(

Analyzing Morrowind.exe…
Backing up Morrowind.exe to Morrowind.Original.exe
There is no compatible patch for your version of Morrowind.exe. Make sure your Morrowind is patched with the last Bloodmoon patch (v.1.6.0.1820). If you should have a compatible version, please check you have not installed other patches such as Exe Optimizer, fpu2sse or no-CD patches. Check the readme for more details.
Patch failed to apply.

Please help.

Also, I have not touched Morrowind in ages, has there been any mods available to enhance the physics of the game or the animation of the game? One thing that always bothered me about TES-related games is their "slip and slide" looking 3rd person animations, so hopefully there are some improvements made by the awesome modders for morrowind.
Hmmm, maybe impulse has a modified executable?
Can you send me a copy of it?
Thanks.

Anyway some animations are included, but nothing for the physics.

leth
February 6th, 2011, 19:19
As far as I know, impulse should not have done any modification to the .exe. But then again, I just noticed that the game uses their "GOO DRM" which allows the re-sale of the game to another person, so it may have done some modifications to the .exe file.

I will PM you the exe, in a moment as well, thanks for the help!

Finally, do you plan on using the MGE-XE? Or are you already using it? I really couldn't tell, since the videos looked excellent either way, and I have not been following morrowind modding since a looong time ago... :P

figment
February 6th, 2011, 19:31
Well I was looking forward to this but its going to have to wait a week or two I think since I just got engaged with a replay of ToEE and forgot so much that its like a new game. I might try to install it since we seem to be getting some support from the developer.

I had zero wait time with fileplanet and getting 1.5 MB/s which is the max I can get with comcast cable so that way is decent if you can use it.

KINGPIX
February 6th, 2011, 19:35
Finally, do you plan on using the MGE-XE? Or are you already using it? I really couldn't tell, since the videos looked excellent either way, and I have not been following morrowind modding since a looong time ago… :P
Thanks for the exe.
I will include MGE XE when it'll reach a more stable/complete release :)

ToddMcF2002
February 6th, 2011, 20:00
It took me about 3 hours to complete this install. It is LOOOOONG. The MGEGui part of the process needs some streamlining IMO. Graphics look pretty good, my FPS is horrible and there are graphical inconsistencies (blurring etc). I don't know. I'll keep it installed for a while and monitor updates.

KINGPIX
February 6th, 2011, 20:23
It took me about 3 hours to complete this install. It is LOOOOONG. The MGEGui part of the process needs some streamlining IMO. Graphics look pretty good, my FPS is horrible and there are graphical inconsistencies (blurring etc). I don't know. I'll keep it installed for a while and monitor updates.

3 hours? Wow, that's strange.
Anyway, if for blurring you are talking about the depth of field, well you can disable it, like I said in the guide, by deleting it from the shader list in MGE.
Yes, it's heavy, but it depends by your graphics card, if well tweaked it can run on any modern systems I think.
Anyway the MGE part is the most important.

figment
February 6th, 2011, 21:13
Looks like I'm at about 1 1/2 hours installing and giving up for now since I've spent more than my allotted time and time to prep for Superbowl. First issue was I had a nocd Morrowind.exe and had to locate the original which I had but archived away (my fault).

The current problem is MGEgui.exe crashes and Morrowind.exe will not launch without it doing something. I downgraded to 3.8.0.b3 which is last stable build on sourceforge which doesn't crash on launch but doesn't configure things so that it will run (Tried as admin). If I feel enterprising next week then I will download the source and recompile if not too much effort to debug why its getting a null pointer exception running on Win7 x64.

KINGPIX
February 6th, 2011, 21:15
Well a FAQ section is here: http://morrowindoverhaul.net/blog/?page_id=51

DoctorNarrative
February 6th, 2011, 21:50
Looks lovely, but I notice a lot of conceptual changes I don't like. The plains for instance look a LOT different and the whole thing looks less alien, more like Oblivion. Maybe that is just because it's a 7 minute video of a 100 hour game though, who knows.

I am tempted to try it but I usually prefer to stick with the original assets and design of the creators, and I think that will be the case here.

KINGPIX
February 6th, 2011, 21:58
Looks lovely, but I notice a lot of conceptual changes I don't like. The plains for instance look a LOT different and the whole thing looks less alien, more like Oblivion. Maybe that is just because it's a 7 minute video of a 100 hour game though, who knows.

I am tempted to try it but I usually prefer to stick with the original assets and design of the creators, and I think that will be the case here.
You can disable new trees and grass with the included customization program, it will look just like Morrowind is :)
You can also disable other changes to fit your tastes ;)

Zerotown
February 6th, 2011, 23:39
Thank you very much for this. I've been re-playing the game since early this afternoon and it looks incredibly awesome. Even better than the ill-fated Morrowind 2011, I might say. It runs a lot more stable as well, though I had some trouble installing Timeslip's Exe Optimizer. Had to grab a pre-made one from his site (http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/exeopt.html).

KINGPIX
February 6th, 2011, 23:45
Thank you very much for this. I've been re-playing the game since early this afternoon and it looks incredibly awesome. Even better than the ill-fated Morrowind 2011, I might say. It runs a lot more stable as well, though I had some trouble installing Timeslip's Exe Optimizer. Had to grab a pre-made one from his site (http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/exeopt.html).

I'm glad that you are enjoing it! :D

ToddMcF2002
February 6th, 2011, 23:50
I'll take some time and tweak things with MGE. The extra hour was dealing with all the missed requirements like .NET, getting MGE to run (removing DLL's and tweaking the resolution was my fix). Then I was trying to follow the MGE instructions. Lots of settings as you know and my distant land settings are bit messed up.

If it were me, I'd release canned MGE configs (low, medium, high and ultra) because that is the most complex part. Just an opinion...

Melvil
February 7th, 2011, 05:52
This is a wonderful mod, the improved visuals take this game beyond its bastard child Oblivion in almost every way. The best part about all this, you control how much you want the game modified. I've, of course, fallen into making every possible character before moving out of SN, so I'll likely never finish either expansion...still.

Thanks for the big effort on this one.

figment
February 7th, 2011, 06:08
Hate to leave a problem lingering so I checked out the source MGE and built it myself and that version worked. Not sure what is different but dont care at the moment.

Now that its working I test drove it enough to be satisfied its stable. Overall fairly painless and it does look pretty. Looking forward to spending some real time with it later.

Edit: I agree Todd's suggestion as the install could be easier for the standard configuration. While the current one is reasonably straightfoward, I think most people would still will want to get it running first with defaults and then dive into details afterword. Unfortunately with the wide variety of tools and mods required here and most without a silent install option on their installers that seems like quite a bit of work.

ToddMcF2002
February 7th, 2011, 06:49
I think just for the MGE portion, the rest of the install is pretty monkey press this / press that, can't get into trouble. The MGE stuff is for the graphics nut and it can easily destroy the performance if you select the wrong thing. For example I selected all this stuff for AF and AA and render cells on distant land (4) etc. I think the render cell was defaulted at 10 or something pretty high? The AA alone is probably killing me and I'm running along with HDR which is sometimes a "no no". Bottom line is my MGE settings really borked my performance. So many screens and options to get in trouble with! I'll need to go back and compare the screenshots in the PDF instructions to what I've got. All this could be eliminated with some sort of default MGE config that is a proven performer. Let the graphic's nut tweak off the default and then restore to default when he screws the pooch. Right now its all hit or miss on screwing the pooch. Rest assured config is pretty much screwed... and I generally know what I'm doing! ;)

ToddMcF2002
February 7th, 2011, 06:59
By the way KINGPIX, I hope you are taking this all as constructive feedback, since it is meant that way. I'm certainly very interested in this mod and I know others are. I'm sure I can speak for others when I say we are well aware this is a tremendous effort and hats off to everyone involved. It is all very appreciated!

Eisberg
February 7th, 2011, 07:47
oh wow. So I know a guy who did the same kind of mod compilation for Oblivion and shared it with his friends from a gaming forum. When the mod community got wind of it, they all went ballistic on his arse. Claiming that mod compilations never work, always full of bugs and are just pure crap, even though he put a ton of work into the compilation to squash out the bugs and he did a dang good job at it. The mod community even said they would never allow any of their work to be ever put into a mod compilation. Then I see this, and the mods in Morrowinds compilation are made by the same modders as the Oblivions one. So either they are pure hypocrits and did allow it, or Kingpix didn't get permission from the modders and they are still being hypocrits and are just turning a blind eye to his work.

DoctorNarrative
February 7th, 2011, 08:31
You can disable new trees and grass with the included customization program, it will look just like Morrowind is :)
You can also disable other changes to fit your tastes ;)

Yeah, don't take my comment as a negative toward the mod it's a cool thing you did to put it all together. I am just saying for me personally I like to play games as they were originally presented 99% of the time. I hack Morrowind to make it widescreen and that's about it.

Zerotown
February 7th, 2011, 09:00
oh wow. So I know a guy who did the same kind of mod compilation for Oblivion and shared it with his friends from a gaming forum. When the mod community got wind of it, they all went ballistic on his arse.

Unfortunately, the same thing happened recently when someone put together a collection of mods for this game ('Morrowind 2011'). From what I understand, KingPix has asked for individual permissions first, instead of compiling the pack and putting it on web. The creator of the MW2K11 mod didn't ask for these permissions, though he did compile a lengthy list of credits.

I guess the modding community for these games is rather… fickle. It was a shame that MW2K11 was taken down imho. That being said, I have to say this project can be tailored better to personal taste (that MGSO-program is quite helpful!) and runs more stable. (At least on my rig).

JDR13
February 7th, 2011, 13:49
Does anyone happen to be running this on Windows 7 64bit? If so, have you had any issues?

KINGPIX
February 7th, 2011, 14:13
Does anyone happen to be running this on Windows 7 64bit? If so, have you had any issues?
Me.
I composed it under Win7 x64, so you can tun this. ;)

About the MGE configuration:
I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tarash
February 7th, 2011, 15:47
I know you can't confirm an exact release date yet for the game experience package, but do you have any idea if we're talking days, weeks or months?

Thx KINGPIX

KINGPIX
February 7th, 2011, 16:01
I know you can't confirm an exact release date yet for the game experience package, but do you have any idea if we're talking days, weeks or months?

Thx KINGPIX

Probably months.
;)

ikbenrichard
February 7th, 2011, 16:11
Probably months.
;)

Well atleast you are gonna give it a try ;)
Iam just glad i can replay again one of most favorite game alltime.

Tarash
February 7th, 2011, 16:38
Probably months.
;)

One last question.
Next to the 2000 quests and everything, is there anything else that it'll change what gameplay concerns?

Karmapowered
February 7th, 2011, 19:19
Just some quick feedback after trying to install the overhaul on a clean pristine install of Morrowind GOTY / Steam version :

I got an error message in a small popup, saying that it couldn't locate the TES3 (Morrowind) folder. This happened to me before step 4/, according to this guide.

-> this error message is generated because it can't find some registry settings that are only created if one launches Morrowind at least once beforehand.

-> a small warning could be added to the guide, asking to at least launch Morrowind once before running the install, so that the registry entries are correctly set

Thank you for your work on this community project, it is very much appreciated.

KINGPIX
February 8th, 2011, 00:07
Just some quick feedback after trying to install the overhaul on a clean pristine install of Morrowind GOTY / Steam version :

I got an error message in a small popup, saying that it couldn't locate the TES3 (Morrowind) folder. This happened to me before step 4/, according to this guide.

-> this error message is generated because it can't find some registry settings that are only created if one launches Morrowind at least once beforehand.

-> a small warning could be added to the guide, asking to at least launch Morrowind once before running the install, so that the registry entries are correctly set

Thank you for your work on this community project, it is very much appreciated.
Thanks for this post, I will fix the guide tomorrow when I come back home =)

ToddMcF2002
February 8th, 2011, 06:09
OK did a bit more work with MGE and noticed that somehow my AA was set at 8x and AF at 16x. Dropped AA to 4x and its sort of playable around 14fps.

1. Something doesn't seem right with the textures, they sure shimmer alot, especially roof textures in the starting village for example.
2. I'm not sure the dynamic light sourcing is working. Haven't really seen the sun yet to verify.
3. If I attempt to use real time shadows in the Morrowind video section my video card craps out for a hard reboot.

Here is a screen. Textures are pretty nice.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/ToddMcF200299/Morrowind2011-02-0723-00-49-45.jpg

Tarash
February 8th, 2011, 09:07
OK did a bit more work with MGE *snip*

I know I probably ask a lot but would you be so kind to let me know all the other settings you've used to make it look that way?

DoctorNarrative
February 8th, 2011, 09:56
That looks good but it doesn't look like Morrowind.

DArtagnan
February 8th, 2011, 10:42
I tried this, and it was pretty easy to install - actually - it just didn't seem that way at first.

Definitely makes the game look a lot better, but unfortunately I still don't like it.

But for fans, I think this should make quite a difference - as it does look quite good. The improved animations help - but they're still horribly stilted and awkward.

That said, I don't think it can hold a candle to Oblivion in terms of overall visual appeal - but I guess that's about taste. Some aspects do look a bit better, like the water - but overall Oblivion is far superior, in my opinion.

But - great work!

Tarash
February 8th, 2011, 13:56
With mods installed Oblivion does indeed look better but for me its a huge improvement considering how old Morrowind is.

Now I'm just curious what the game experience package will add exactly.

JDR13
February 8th, 2011, 22:24
I think it looks fantastic, but I also have to agree with those who say it varies a bit too much from Morrowind's original art style.

Too much additional foliage, and too much "green" in general for a volcanic island imo.

KINGPIX
February 8th, 2011, 22:48
I think it looks fantastic, but I also have to agree with those who say it varies a bit too much from Morrowind's original art style.

Too much additional foliage, and too much "green" in general for a volcanic island imo.

That's why we made the MGSOO program.
Do you want less green? Use simple trees/Vality's trees and turn off the grass.
The result is a less-green game, and more lighter, too! (the grass and the new trees are heavy).
Maybe is somewhat less impressive, but certainly it will have fidelty to the original game :)

Alrik Fassbauer
February 9th, 2011, 00:20
... And more green ? ;)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist from that ... ;)

ToddMcF2002
February 9th, 2011, 03:31
Did some more tweaking and I think I've found a decent graphical balance, closer to the true Morrowind and friendlier FPS.

A note on FPS: FRAPS says my wilderness FPS is around 20, which for Morrowind is actually just fine. My intown is 16, pretty borderline but there is no combat so its workable. Bottom line is the engine was never meant for this kind of thing so you take the good with the bad. My machine can play Nehrim at 40FPS so what can I tell you. Some NPC animations are jilting in the distance, not sure why. I think I'm almost at the point where I'd stop tweaking and start playing.

A note to KINGPIX:
I highly recommend some king of tweak guide. Way to many things to choose and some debilitate performance for no gain. Again, just an opinion.

Here are the key changes I made MGE:
1. Grass in MGE to 0. It doesn't belong in Morrowind anyway.
2. Kill all shaders in the list except Occlusion and GodRays. Frankly, the HDR and other shaders were doing nothing but killing performance. I don't see a noticeable difference really.
3. Distant land to 400 (orginal MGE default)
4. AA to 2x
5. AF to 8x
Changes in MGSOO:
1. turn off all the extra trees, color and bushiness. There is too much object pop with all that stuff anyway. You can't see it in the screenshots but it is bothersome.

Checkout the cool god rays :)

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/ToddMcF200299/road1.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/ToddMcF200299/town1.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/ToddMcF200299/view1.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/ToddMcF200299/godrays.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/ToddMcF200299/godrays2.jpg

Tarash
February 9th, 2011, 03:44
Thx, I'll fiddle around some more myself with the MGE.

Gonna have to deactivate some stuff anyway cause it seems I can't complete the quest for the dead tax collector Processus Vitellius in Seyda Neen as there seem to be trees standing where his body should be.

ToddMcF2002
February 9th, 2011, 04:04
Guess you gotta remove "theoldforest.esp" :)

bemushroomed
February 9th, 2011, 10:36
If you have a problem with a tree that is standing in the way of something you can go into the console, click the tree (make sure the name of the tree pops up in the top of the console) and enter disable. This removes the tree (but leaves it visible in the far view distance - the MGE rendering)

There shouldnt be any popups with the trees at least not with mine (vurt). Some can have a bit of "draw in" of the leaves from certain angles (has to do with the normals). But if every tree is popping up you probably have minimum statics size turned up too high (i have mine at 100) or you have forgotten to include an .esp in MGE..

Imo, HDR and God Rays (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/images/35080-1-1296470667.jpg) is a must in the shader list. SSAO looks extremely nice too, especially in interiors, huge difference. I leave grass at around 60%, i created it so that people with hi-end computers could leave it at 100% or if someone wanted to take a nice screenshot, but it should be lowered for most people when playing.

Draw distance i leave at around 10-12 or so (big improvement over vanilla), AA to off and AF to max. AA is really hurting the performance, but might be needed if you're running on a lower res than 1920x1080. World Texture/Normalmap resolution i usually leave at 512 or 1024, i dont really notice a big difference. "World Mesh detail" looks ok on "High".

I get around 35-52 FPS (if Crossfire decides to work on my old 4870x2) with these settings. Average around 40 somewhere. The game is very playable even if you get 20 FPS though, much more so than other games at that FPS, for some reason.

Tarash
February 9th, 2011, 12:42
Thank you, all of this helped a lot :)
Can't get FPS over 18 in town but outside of it it stays around 20-22.
I can live with that though.

What Processus Vitellius concerned he wasn't exactly under a tree it seems, just next to one but there was too much grass so I must have just always missed him.

Here are my specs just so you guys know:

Graphic card: Ati Radeon 5870 1024MB GDDR5 (x2) in Crossfire
Processor: Intel i7 CPU 950 3.07 Ghz
Memory: 6GB Dominator DDR3 1866MHz
Motherboard: P6T SE

All latest drivers installed, I keep my system very clean and not much running in the background.

Edit:
Got another question for you guys, hope you can help me out with it.

I downloaded this companion Julan Ashlander who I'm supposed to find in Ghostgate and since he needs to be picked up before I'm too far into the main story I would like to do it as soon as possible.
Now how do I get to Ghostgate as easy as possible?
Something in the readme mentions something that he's attacked by Daedra and I have to rescue him so I hope I can take them on with a low level character.
I would like to have him along with me but don't feel like playing hours on end first till I get there or can handle it.
Its been so long since I've played Morrowind that I kinda forgot everything about it.
Maybe not a bad thing so this can feel like a whole new experience to me again.

Thx in advance for any tips and help.

Rills
February 10th, 2011, 01:58
Tarash, I can't answer your question but I want to say thanks for lisiting your hardware. This was my #1 question and it seems that even high-end performance rigs have issues with FPS which supports the idea that the Morrowind engine isn't designed for the present day graphics/textures. There is quite the resource demand.

bemushroomed
February 10th, 2011, 02:35
Tarash, like all ATI owners know, Crossfire sucks and only works sometimes and with some drivers. At some point i'm gonna download several drivers and see which decides to work with Morrowind (or work at all, for that matter). When it does kick in it doubles the FPS which is really nice. If you get around 18-20 it's not working.

Tarash
February 10th, 2011, 03:02
Tarash, I can't answer your question but I want to say thanks for lisiting your hardware. This was my #1 question and it seems that even high-end performance rigs have issues with FPS which supports the idea that the Morrowind engine isn't designed for the present day graphics/textures. There is quite the resource demand.

No problem, I just found it very odd that I got such low FPS but the post of bemushroomed made it clear.

Tarash, like all ATI owners know, Crossfire sucks and only works sometimes and with some drivers. At some point i'm gonna download several drivers and see which decides to work with Morrowind (or work at all, for that matter). When it does kick in it doubles the FPS which is really nice. If you get around 18-20 it's not working.

Thx for letting me know cause I wasn't aware that Crossfire sucks.
Not being sarcastic, I really didn't know that.
Its the first time I bought ATI cards and for my next comp I think I'm gonna go back to Nvidia.

Guess I'm gonna have to be happy to play the game this way.

Btw guys, I got to Ghostgate to pick up this companion, was able to defeat 3 clanfears that were attacking him, but something isn't working right cause he's lying on the ground on his side and does the walking animation.
I could talk to him and even chose the option that he teleported to the inn at Ald-ruhn hoping that that would work but it didn't.

Uninstalled him and went for companion Beryl from Grumpy.

KINGPIX
February 10th, 2011, 23:42

Crossfire or SLI systems are not working with Morrowind.
SLI sucks too.

Alrik Fassbauer
February 11th, 2011, 00:07
The "readme" file of Drakensang 1 & 2 also says that this game can have problems with SLI (or crossfire), as far as I can recall it from my memory ...

ToddMcF2002
February 13th, 2011, 15:39
I changed the texture sizes to 512. Visually no difference, but performance no difference either. 2x vs no AA does make a visual difference but seems to have no performance impact. I'll keep 2x AA.

Tarash
February 13th, 2011, 20:04
I've tried in the meanwhile varied settings and it always stays around 18-22 fps sometimes even drops down to 14 fps.
When I look up to the sky it boosts to 44-47 fps.

I'm keeping the settings I have now though, time to continue with the game ;)

ToddMcF2002
February 13th, 2011, 21:27
I just wish I knew what the attribution was around the performance hits. Is it the trees? The textures? Shaders? Honestly, after messing with it I realized I'd be perfectly happy with vanilla Morrowind with just a hi res texture pack.

Tarash
February 13th, 2011, 23:42
Ok I wanted to check this last thing and so I turned off all the grass mods and in town it still doesn't give higher frame rates but outside of town I get around 30 fps now.

So what I got now is:

- resolution: 1920x1080
- AA: no
- anisotropic: 16x
- shaders: HDR, SSAO, God rays, underwater blur, water wobble
- distant land:
> shader model 3.0
> draw distance 30
> water reflections: sky, landscape, blur reflections, nearby statistics, distant statistics
> dynamic ripples: height of waves 50, caustic intensity 50
- textures: 2048, 1024
- world mesh detail: high

Oh yeah and in MGSO I chose the "lite" versions.

zadokAllen
February 13th, 2011, 23:45
Heh...it sounds like this thing is more demanding than Skyrim will be in top res/detail :)

(all the best with the project, nevertheless)

Tarash
February 13th, 2011, 23:54
Hehe I get that idea as well ;)

bemushroomed
February 14th, 2011, 01:45
Yes Morrowind MGE is more demanding than console "optimized" games such as Oblivion or Skyrim, depends a bit on which shaders you use, but i'd say it's more demanding.

I hope the MGE devs can get crossfire to work, it's really nice to have 50 FPS instead of 25 (it does work until i save or go into the console - then back to 25 FPS)..

DArtagnan
February 14th, 2011, 11:20
Yes Morrowind MGE is more demanding than console "optimized" games such as Oblivion or Skyrim, depends a bit on which shaders you use, but i'd say it's more demanding.

I hope the MGE devs can get crossfire to work, it's really nice to have 50 FPS instead of 25 (it does work until i save or go into the console - then back to 25 FPS)..

Console "optimised"?

You do realise that Morrowind ran on the Xbox 1, don't you? :)

bemushroomed
February 14th, 2011, 12:33
You do realize i said Morrowind MGE, not Morrowind? Quite a difference (http://www.tesnexus.com/imageshare/images/41808-1296413411.jpg) :)

DArtagnan
February 14th, 2011, 12:35
You do realize i said Morrowind MGE, not Morrowind? Quite a difference (http://www.tesnexus.com/imageshare/images/41808-1296413411.jpg) :)

Well, ok then :)

ToddMcF2002
February 16th, 2011, 01:25
Why do I get the feeling that "console optimized" was just a jab at Oblivion? These performance issues are about the engine efficiency. Same thing happened to Quake1 when they did a graphics overhaul.

bemushroomed
February 16th, 2011, 01:40
There's no engine in the world that can run at the same FPS no matter what you throw at it. Obviously the more polys, more/advanced shaders and better view distance you have the less FPS you're gonna get.

Some really nice development with MGE XE lately (MGE XE adds shadows to all static objects and has some other neat things as well), even Crossfire is working for me again (going from 25 to around 45-50 FPS is nice!)

HiddenX
April 28th, 2011, 00:56
I'm playing Morrowind Overhaul Project (http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=8987) right now (Version 1.2) together with the BTB's game improvements (http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7904) and Westly's Master Head Pack (http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=6173) -

combined this is a gfx & gameplay monster patch, and it works all very well together.

A big Thank You to all Morrowind modders!

ToddMcF2002
November 28th, 2011, 07:04
After playing 50 hours of Skyrim I decided to do a fresh install of this. I must have done something right this time because I'm getting a better framerate. I decided to select a bit less on the texture packs (the roads look like MW roads again and the foliage is not drastically changed) and I dropped the Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO) shader and went with 2x AA, 4x AF. I still have godrays, HDR and water effects.

It is where I want it. Looks amazing in Widescreen, hi res textures, godrays etc. Really looks fantastic. 1.3 patch installed. :)

Warmark
November 28th, 2011, 07:27
After playing 50 hours of Skyrim I decided to do a fresh install of this. I must have done something right this time because I'm getting a better framerate. I decided to select a bit less on the texture packs (the roads look like MW roads again and the foliage is not drastically changed) and I dropped the Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO) shader and went with 2x AA, 4x AF. I still have godrays, HDR and water effects.

It is where I want it. Looks amazing in Widescreen, hi res textures, godrays etc. Really looks fantastic. 1.3 patch installed. :)

That's almost exactly what I did, and it does look great on a widescreen monitor.
That's why I'm playing as much Morrowind as I am Skyrim right now.

ToddMcF2002
November 28th, 2011, 14:08
I think I pumped 60 hours into Morrowind a few years back. I never made it to the expansion lands and never really touched the main quest. A few days back I loaded up Oblivion as well and added a similar enhancements - shaders and textures etc. Morrowind is where it is at though!