PDA

View Full Version : Might & Magic VI - The Mandate of Heaven

Pages : [1] 2

Zakhary
April 1st, 2008, 22:34
I need to play something else... now. If you've been paying any attention to these forums lately, you know that I've been raving about Dwarf Fortress in a couple of threads pretty much non-stop... sorry about that for those that have been annoyed by my behaviour :D

So, I think it would be healthy to take a break (at least until the next DF version is released..) and play something else. ...What's that I hear? You mean it would be healthy to play nothing at all for a while? Ridiculous!! Of course I have to play something?!?!

So.. now.. taking the true power of Dwarf Fortress and the addiction those little dwarves give rise to into account, it is obvious that I need something powerfull to drag me away from it.. A kick-ass, truly enjoyable computer role-playing game. A real CRPG. That modern-real-time-3D-shader-action-crap will not do. That stuff would just throw me right back to the arms of those lovely dwarves... And this brings us right to the following fact...

I've yet to play Might & Magic VI. It's a classic. It's a legendary old-school party-based CRPG that has those lovely mid-nineties graphics (which I'm especially fond of) with sprites and all.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/might-and-magic-vi-the-mandate-of-heaven/screenshots/gameShotId,113700/
Some say it's the best one in the series. I've played 3,4,5 and 7... and I loved 'em. So I think it's safe to assume that I'm gonna love number 6 too. And yes, I know what to expect. The M&M games are thin on NPC interaction and storytelling depth, but they still have that... something that makes a RPG feel so good.

I've been doing some reading.

Found this great information resource:
http://www.pottsland.com/mm6/index.html

Also found the unofficial patch version 1.3:
http://telp.org/mm6/tavern/anyboard/posts/27430.html

Anything else I need to know before beginning my M&M6 journey?
Any tips/hints to maximize my enjoyment?
I'd like to hear your thoughts & opinions about this game too, if you guys have any.

dteowner
April 1st, 2008, 23:34
Indeed, an excellent game. Only drawback is that it lacks the skill limitations by class that were introduced in MM7. I thought those limits added a great twist to character development and party composition. Huge world with some truly mother-huge dungeons. Only one spoiler worth mentioning:
There's a scroll of flying hidden on a wall of the odds-n-ends store (IIRC) in the starting town. You must find it and use it to get to the air magic trainer that's on the balcony above said store, or else you'll never make master level. I know where the darn thing is at and I still don't see it until I click on it.

dyze
April 2nd, 2008, 01:07
VI is definetily the best of the series

Turjan
April 2nd, 2008, 01:51
The title of this thread made me first look past it. I didn't finish number VII.

But M&M VI was a game I played for ages. I'm not sure why I started with that one, but I didn't really know any other CRPGs at that time (except a few from the 80's), and I was completely fascinated by that game. I'm a bit afraid that, should I ever return to the game, I will be disappointed.

Anyway, it's my number one personal nostalgia game :D.

Edit: You asked for tips :). If you feel adventurous, try a party of two mages and two druids. It's a bit hard at the beginning, though.

Corwin
April 2nd, 2008, 02:52
Dte, that scroll you mention is FAR more valuable for doing something else!! :) The one other thing that annoyed me about VI, was you couldn't reposition during combat like you could in the later iterations!!

dteowner
April 2nd, 2008, 04:24
But it's chicken-n-egg... To learn the fly spell, you need to get master air magic. To get master air magic, you need the master trainer. To talk to the trainer, you need to fly. I assumed getting that scroll was a way to break into the chain.

Are you referring to dropping onto the top of the mountain via flying rather than fighting your way all the way up? Man, it's been too long since I played that one. I just don't remember enough of it.

Corwin
April 2nd, 2008, 05:04
I was thinking of a special little area surrounded by Dragons that you can teleport into if you use the fly spell/scroll. With VI, you can always hire an Air master for an hour or 2!!

Dark Savant
April 2nd, 2008, 06:47
It`s a really long game with great dungeons. Round 150 hours or so.
There is an additional patch to Mok`s v1.3 - http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4839

Turjan
April 2nd, 2008, 07:45
I guess I really needed those 150 hours. And it didn't get boring. I'll never forget the Hall of the Fire Lord. And all those spiders in the beginning of the game ;).

Zakhary
April 2nd, 2008, 08:17
There is an additional patch to Mok`s v1.3 - http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4839

Whoa! Thanks, man!

Dark Savant
April 2nd, 2008, 08:31
intro
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yxCoE5rULNg
The Tomb of VARN :worship::worship: The mother of all dungeons
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kJcOV5zQxE&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ieuOvedxI6k&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fyxHVi_u0b8&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=skugIAFQIW0&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DoHX5y-z-yc&feature=related
the end
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WRGdkOuz60c

This guy is crazy - 365 videos of complete walktrough.:cool:

Corwin
April 2nd, 2008, 09:04
Hey, that's only one a day for a year!! :)

zakhal
April 2nd, 2008, 09:07
MM6 was the first I played and I thought it was pretty mediocre with kind of empty world and all. It looks good but the beauty is only skin deep. Later on they say this is the best version and so it could only go down from here. Judging the last game of the series I could believe that.

Corwin
April 2nd, 2008, 09:18
Actually, most think VII was the best, but if you didn't enjoy VI, then in many ways, the rest are just more of the same!! We try to forget that IX was ever half made and released!!!!

Turjan
April 2nd, 2008, 09:44
This guy is crazy - 365 videos of complete walktrough.:cool:
That's insane. I had to look for the Hall of the Fire Lord, and here it is (after 1:50):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dxtpuW1JMl0

Alrik Fassbauer
April 2nd, 2008, 13:32
About the *real* "Mandate of Heaven" :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandate_of_Heaven

I first read about it in a museum in Cologne.

Zakhary
April 2nd, 2008, 15:28
About the *real* "Mandate of Heaven" :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandate_of_Heaven

I first read about it in a museum in Cologne.

Real? As in REALWORLD?!?!?!?!

That's digusting! Go play a game, immediately, whatever you have
might be contagious!

Zakhary
April 2nd, 2008, 17:14
I wanted to install M&M6 today...
But when I came home from the university... my hands did not obey me...
I found myself starting dwarf fortress. I'm sorry. I'll try again tomorrow.

magerette
April 2nd, 2008, 17:37
You really need to play MM6, Zakhary. It was the very first RPG I ever played, and my highest praise is to compare games that are really nothing like it--like The Witcher--to my MM6 gratification levels. Few games can get there( PS:T, Gothic and TW so far)

Quite awhile back, we had a thread about which are your favorite dungeons--IMO, MM6 wins hands down, even though in many ways MM7 is a more polished and better balanced game(and has Arcomage...a personal addiction for me like your DF)

Anyway, hope you enjoy when you can finally get your hands to obey. (I had this problem with Titan Crack, er Quest, so I understand)

Zakhary
April 2nd, 2008, 18:24
You really need to play MM6, Zakhary. It was the very first RPG I ever played, and my highest praise is to compare games that are really nothing like it--like The Witcher--to my MM6 gratification levels. Few games can get there( PS:T, Gothic and TW so far)

Quite awhile back, we had a thread about which are your favorite dungeons--IMO, MM6 wins hands down, even though in many ways MM7 is a more polished and better balanced game(and has Arcomage...a personal addiction for me like your DF)

Anyway, hope you enjoy when you can finally get your hands to obey. (I had this problem with Titan Crack, er Quest, so I understand)

That's good to hear! I absolutely will play M&M6. I've been looking forward to it ever since I bought it from the Finnish internet auction site, huuto.net.
And yeah, I love dungeons. There's nothing like a good, challenging, well designed dungeon. The best I've seen so far are in Might & Magic III.

sherwinz28
April 2nd, 2008, 19:12
I remember my first MM game was on sega genesis, believe it was MM2. That game was pretty tough. I then played MM3 on PC and instantly fell in love...been playing them since. I must say VI and VII were my favorite. I still play them to this day.

The fly scroll in New Sorpigal is so you can get to DragonSand and click on the obelisk in the buildling and gain +10 or +20, cant remember, to your stats. While in Dragonsand walk around the obelisk building and keep clicking on the hilt of the sword to get into the building (look at your map)...hidden entrance. Once you've cleared the building, lots of goodies inside, click on the otherside of the building to return to New Sorpigal.

I loved the hidden stuff in this game and the ability to go almost anywhere right from the start. Tomb of Varn was one huge dungeon...spent a lot of time in it.

dyze
April 3rd, 2008, 02:04
And yeah, I love dungeons. There's nothing like a good, challenging, well designed dungeon. The best I've seen so far are in Might & Magic III.

yeah same here, thats one of the reasons why i like VI better than VII, the dungeons were somewhat bland in VII, while absolutely excellent in VI.

crpgnut
April 3rd, 2008, 15:51
I'm replaying VII right now and will probably play VI and then VIII or maybe VIII and then VI. A mistake that I seem to make with Might and Magic VII is that I become too powerful, too quickly. One thing I'd suggest if you want a challenging game is to skip the learning skill. It adds too much experience and you'll waltz through the game. There are 3 NPCs that add experience to your characters. If you grab the lowest one, a scholar, he'll give you a 5% bonus to xp and identify all your items for you. Anybody higher than him, and you'll get too powerful for the built in difficulty level.

That said, my favorite thing to do in MM7 is to switch out the NPCs frequently. I generally run out and have to wait for map respawns :) MM7 does have a few dungeons that are awesome, but MM6 did seem to have more good ones. MM7 has a much better storyline though, so it evens out. If you haven't played MM9, it can be fun with the unofficial patches. I've completed it but there are a few whammies with promotion quests, so save often.

narpet
April 3rd, 2008, 16:03
If you haven't played MM9, it can be fun with the unofficial patches. I've completed it but there are a few whammies with promotion quests, so save often.

It's funny you mention that... I've never played MM9 for more than about an hour. I've read that with the TELP patch it's not too bad... definitely not the best in the series, but fun nonetheless. I've put off playing it for years, and nows the time.

After I finish Geneforge 1, I'm going to start MM9. I actually already created my party and did the little tutorial town. But I'm going to wait until I finish GF before I really try to get into it.

Then, some time this year I'm going to go back and play MM6... I really love that game (along with MM3).

vanedor
April 3rd, 2008, 17:57
uhm, actually, it is "Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven", Might and Magic VII is «For Blood and Honor».

Might and Magic VI got a special spot for me. When I was 16, I worked for the first time of my life at one of my uncle's farm and used my wage for an entire week to purchase this game!

That game got some great dungeons, good gameplay... if it was not for the repetiveness of the combats and somewhat generic enemies, it could have been one of the best rpg ever.

Zakhary
April 3rd, 2008, 20:10
Then, some time this year I'm going to go back and play MM6... I really love that game (along with MM3).

You love both MM3 and MM6 ? That's great to hear, as a huge M&M3 fan.
I'm pretty sure I'm in for an excellent M&M journey with 6.

crpgnut
April 3rd, 2008, 21:05
MM3 is probably my favorite of the series. It just seems to have the best dungeon designs and I enjoy the riddles and puzzles that are spread throughout. I love the Arachnoid Caverns, the Fortress of Fear, and the cool midi song that plays when you visit the pyramids. I'm also a big fan of Obsidian weapons and armor!

Zakhary
April 3rd, 2008, 21:22
MM3 is probably my favorite of the series. It just seems to have the best dungeon designs and I enjoy the riddles and puzzles that are spread throughout. I love the Arachnoid Caverns, the Fortress of Fear, and the cool midi song that plays when you visit the pyramids. I'm also a big fan of Obsidian weapons and armor!

Ahhh... your talk makes me want to fire up M&M3 again. It was just so... everything felt just right. Truly, an excellent game.

Zakhary
April 3rd, 2008, 21:28
All right! I've got M&M6 and the official and unofficial pathches installed.
I'm on my way... (still had to play some DF tonight, tho :D )

azraelck
April 4th, 2008, 05:56
I never cared much for M&M6 myself. I much preferred the older games, particularly 3 and World of Xeen. I may give it another go if I can find my copy laying around. If I ever get Windows to work.

Maylander
April 4th, 2008, 12:33
Possibly the longest game I've played, with some of the most incredible dungeons ever created. It is quite a bit harder than MM7 or 8 though, especially near end, so building a solid party is more essential.

Also, I can't think of any game that has more memorable locations. From New Sorpigal, Castle Ironfist and Free Haven to the vast, dangerous desert.

Oh man, now I suddenly wanted to replay MM6 again!

magerette
April 4th, 2008, 16:32
Maylander wrote:
Oh man, now I suddenly wanted to replay MM6 again!

I know-- about a month ago I had been replaying it, had gotten through a lot of the early game, then when I was clearing out the Dragoon's Caverns I got a weird bug with the Harp quest--I exited with one of the phony musical instruments in my inventory, and got instant CTD when I tried to switch from inventory to inventory between characters.
Reloaded all kinds of saves, but apparently it corrupted everything from the beginning of the dungeon--I need to go back and reload from way earlier, I guess, but it means losing about 15-20 hours of play...since I overwrite saves--think that could be why the whole dungeon is corrupted?

Zakhary
April 4th, 2008, 17:31
Maylander wrote:

I know-- about a month ago I had been replaying it, had gotten through a lot of the early game, then when I was clearing out the Dragoon's Caverns I got a weird bug with the Harp quest--I exited with one of the phony musical instruments in my inventory, and got instant CTD when I tried to switch from inventory to inventory between characters.
Reloaded all kinds of saves, but apparently it corrupted everything from the beginning of the dungeon--I need to go back and reload from way earlier, I guess, but it means losing about 15-20 hours of play...since I overwrite saves--think that could be why the whole dungeon is corrupted?

Perhaps the unofficial patch(es) will help with those crashes?

dteowner
April 4th, 2008, 17:58
Probably not. I haven't heard of that being a common bug (although I suppose that's no guarantee). More likely, magerette has a local issue, which a patch won't help.

magerette
April 4th, 2008, 18:23
Probably--I have all the patches.AFAIK. :) It's a corrupted save thing I think. Of course, this does give me the opportunity to restart and roll new characters, one of the funner things.
Since we're off into this discussion a bit I have a mechanics question--has anybody ever noticed how the camera position of the party affects hitting--that is, the middle two positions always seem to get a better hit ratio than the first and last? I've noticed over the years that shifting the camera view to one side, up down, etc, seems to help with connecting. . I've thought of testing it by having a pure caster in the first slot, but I usually forget and end up using a fighter there.
I wonder if this is my imagination sometimes though--anybody else ever noticed this?

Corwin
April 5th, 2008, 01:32
You guys convinced me to drag it out once again; rolled my favourite party:-1 Sorc, 1 Cleric and 2 Druids. And it's off for slaughter and mayhem once again. All the other classes are totally useless IMHO in the later stages of the game!!

magerette
April 5th, 2008, 01:56
I went back to my older save earlier today too, Corwin :)--I have Knight, Cleric, Druid & Sorc going--I use the Knight primarily to carry all the non-magic skills like merchant, perception, disarm, identify, etc--since he has the most spare skill points--then the casters can concentrate on mastering all the magics, meditation and learning. I agree though, that magic trumps might, especially as the game progresses.

Zakhary
April 5th, 2008, 12:15
What kind of party should I create as a MM6 (but not MMx) newbie?
Do you think this guide will do me any good:
http://www.pottsland.com/mm6/rwstarted.shtml ?

Zakhary
April 5th, 2008, 12:46
Bah, screw it.
Reading guides and wondering what's the optimal party to create
soon leads to something resembling power-gaming and THAT...
is pure absolute heresy that shall not be tolerated and should be made
punishable by rectal-torture (again, blame Jaz for introducing that word).

So, I'm gonna go with my... uh... instincts! Yeah! Instincts!

dteowner
April 5th, 2008, 14:29
With MM6, everyone can learn everything given enough time, money, and training, so party build isn't as important as it is with MM7. Pick characters to give you the starting skills you want and go from there. Magic is more expensive to learn than weapon and miscellaneous skills, so if you've got an open skill slot, fill it with magic.

Zakhary
April 5th, 2008, 17:43
Yup, loving the game. I don't know why but it feels so good already.
I have a party of Knight, Paladin, Cleric and Sorc.
I started the game and explored all the houses in the starting town.
Then I cleared up the region around the town of all the baddies.

Wish I could've known that there's a box full of leather armors behind that tree
before I went and bought two for my cleric and sorc :D

Yeah and if the allmighty-omnipotent-omnipresent-omniscient and handsome moderator is feeling nice and is out of things to do... please fix the topic, cause
I have a feeling this thread is gonna be here for a while...
(As someone helpfully pointed out, it's M&M VI (as in 6) - NOT VII. )

magerette
April 5th, 2008, 18:00
Sounds like you're off to a good start. One tip for the early game--if you're into the alchemy scene--and it's very useful--buy every empty potion bottle you see as using white potions for buffs will be more economical especially early than using mana, plus there are many spells you just won't have at this point.

This is not necessary though if you plan to use the Fly scroll for the easter egg/exploit as listed earlier in the thread--(which really everyone should do at least once to see the "dungeon" populated by the 3DO staff, and it isn't easy, either so you don't have to feel like you're totally 'power-gaming') --as you can pick up a whole inventory of empty and full flasks there, in the process of clearing the map.

Here's a useful site that lists all the trainers, where to learn skills, etc, plus a very detailed walk thru with some of the more devilish puzzle solutions for when you just can't stand it anymore--it has spoilers, though so view with care: MM6 (http://www.the-spoiler.com/RPG/New.World.Computing/might.and.magic6.3/mm6.htm#ts)

Well--back to my game. I had to totally reinstall and restart--hopefully I've gotten rid of my bug. :)

Turjan
April 5th, 2008, 18:54
I don't really know why, but I loved this game's soundtrack. It's nothing extraordinary, but feels exactly right. I even put the game CD on my stereo's CD player once or twice, just to listen to the music ;).

Zakhary
April 5th, 2008, 19:46
I decided against the easter egg/exploit thing. That would ruin the mood for me
and since I wouldn't have figured that out myself, I'm skipping it. Perhaps I'll try it sometime tho - as it is very likely that I'm gonna play this game again :D

Damn I'm having fun. I wouldn't have liked to to stop to take a break but I just noticed that I'm very hungry :(

Zakhary
April 5th, 2008, 20:44
I don't really know why, but I loved this game's soundtrack. It's nothing extraordinary, but feels exactly right. I even put the game CD on my stereo's CD player once or twice, just to listen to the music ;).

Damn! You have my eternal gratitude, man!
Know what? After reading your post I started wondering why I didn't remember hearing any music in the game. I started looking into it and soon found out that
the game uses audio cd tracks from the play cd....

My CD-drive was not connected to my soundchip!! (I had forgotten to do this since, I've got an integrated realtek audio chip and I never listen to audio cd's using my computer cd-drive)

Now.. I can hear the music and my game experience got even better. The music is fan-damn-tastic! Thanks!

This game is magnificent, it's everything I want from a game.
Sometimes I wish I could go back to the 90's.
Everything was better then. Games, Music, Books, Movies... :(

Oh, well... I still can enjoy those pinnacles of western culture made in the
90's :D

EDIT: And thanks to everyone else that has contributed to this thread and my M&M6 undertakings. I love every M&M6 fan almost as much as I love myself.

Zakhary
April 6th, 2008, 10:00
The game just keeps getting better and better the more I play it and the more I get into it.

I feel that the amount of challenge is just right, too. Not easy but not brutally punishing either. It seems that I succeeded in creating a nice, balanced party.

Even without the music I felt the game has this fantastic atmosphere, but the music just quadrupled it.

Starting to understand why people call this the best M&M game.

I haven't even started Dwarf Fortress today!!

Zakhary
April 6th, 2008, 12:09
Is M&M8 any good? I propably won't touch the 9th one, but what about number eight?
I'm already horrified because this game will eventually end... and.. then what?!

Fenris
April 6th, 2008, 13:24
MM 8 is not bad... most of your Party will be recruited from classical Monster-Races, like Vampires, Darkelves and Trolls - but IMO it's pretty unbalanced, a bit rushed and not as good as its predecessors - MM 9 ?

There is no MM 9, just like there is no Ultima 9, no POR 2 and no Elder Scrolls IV (at least not in my own small World^^)

Zakhary
April 6th, 2008, 13:51
In M&M6: Is the passage of time something to worry about?
Some hidden deadlines or something? Penalties for taking too long?
Do I need to worry about sleeping too often or wasting time by travelling back and forth? What do I care whether traveling to castle ironfist takes 5 or 2 days?

Fenris
April 6th, 2008, 14:24
I can't remember a time-limit - didn't you still need food in MM 6 ? More Rations for longer Journeys ? soo long ago... I'm getting old...

Zakhary
April 6th, 2008, 15:15
Yeah, there's the food thing, of course. But that's cheap and totally NOT a problem.

magerette
April 6th, 2008, 15:34
In M&M6: Is the passage of time something to worry about?
Some hidden deadlines or something? Penalties for taking too long?
Do I need to worry about sleeping too often or wasting time by travelling back and forth? What do I care whether traveling to castle ironfist takes 5 or 2 days?

There's no time constraints that I remember AFA finishing the game by a certain time, but there are some things that take place on certain days of the week-like going to the Arena on Sundays at Ironfist, or boat travel to certain out of the way locations, or being at a certain location before a deadline--like at the Shrine of the month before the month runs out, or in the circus location before the circus moves on, etc. AFAIK that's the only way any of those NPCs might be temporarily useful. I've never had to use one though, I always pick up a merchant, a factor or somone who has a spell I need before I can get it. :)

dteowner
April 6th, 2008, 16:21
There's a promo quest that offers a bonus if it's done in a certain time limit. Other than that, magerette's got the gist of it.

Zakhary
April 6th, 2008, 16:31
Ok, great. Thanks guys.
I hated the timelimit thing in the first fallout so bad.
Luckily it was only for the first part in the main quest.

Turjan
April 6th, 2008, 19:01
Now.. I can hear the music and my game experience got even better. The music is fan-damn-tastic! Thanks!
I'm pleased to have been of help! The soundtrack also contains background noises, like all those buzzing insects. I think this helps quite a bit with immersion.

If I remember correctly, it was M&M7 that was first released without working soundtrack in my first language. I spent lots of time trying to find the cause. But this was indeed an error in the first release, and it had to be patched so you could hear the music. Very disappointing until that patch came out.

Zakhary
April 7th, 2008, 12:59
Allright. I've cleaned the abandoned temple, goblin watch and the temple of baa.
Also the outdoor areas around Sorpigal and castle ironfist.

fun fun fun fun fun

Turjan
April 7th, 2008, 14:10
You don't seem to suffer from arachnophobia ;).

Zakhary
April 7th, 2008, 14:48
A bow expert with the magic bow of fire seems to make them spidies settle down :D

magerette
April 7th, 2008, 15:04
Ah, the spiders! Not to mention the damn cobras! Ring of Fire is a great spell for when you're surrounded, but you have to have at least expert level magic to do much good with spells. I've finally got my druid and sorceror up to 7 points or so in expert fire magic and it's amazing the wildlife you can exterminate slinging fireballs and meteor showers in tandem.

BTW, Zakhary you were right about needing a patch earlier--I'd only installed the XP fix patch, and not Mok's 1.3 that had all the fixes from 1.1 and 1.2--the interface crash bug was fixed in 1.1. Running fine now.

Wish I could get back to the game, but I actually have things to do today...reality is soooo intrusive. :(

Zakhary
April 7th, 2008, 15:24
Yeah! I've had no bugs - major or minor - no inconsistencies or any general weirdness during the time I've played. Also no tech problems whatsoever.
I don't know how much is thanks to the mok's patch but I'd say that the game is in very good shape now with the mok's patch version 1.3.

crpgnut
April 7th, 2008, 15:54
Okay, you are confusing me. The 1.3 patch is only for MMVI. The other patch is called
mm7_eng_xp.exe and is version 1.21, right?

Zakhary
April 7th, 2008, 16:02
This thread is about VI. We are all playing VI.
Nobody said anything about VII.
Other than previously there was a typo in the topic of this thread :D
- but I'm pretty sure everyone knows "Mandate of Heaven" is nmbr 6.

However, there's a mok's patch for MM7 too.
http://telp.org/mm7/tavern/anyboard/posts/27807.html

Currently, the Mok's patch is the ONLY patch necessary for MM6-8.
The officials patches or other XP fixes are not needed.
Everything is included in the Mok's patches.

Zaleukos
April 7th, 2008, 16:30
I had one bug bothering me back when I played MM6. One of the promotion quests (thief?) has you enter a dungeon with doors that cant be opened with the final official patch. Having a fully patched budget re-release of the game I couldnt figure out how to de-patch at the time I played the game (and I never bothered, as I by then had gotten to the point where I usually stop playing MM games due to the latest colour of enemies having insane amount of HP, making my taste opposite to Magerette who cant finish Baldurs Gate 2:p).

Looks like Mok fixes that (I believe the Shadow guild was the broken dungeon), but I didnt know of it at the time.

Zakhary
April 7th, 2008, 17:20
BTW- Thanks, god, for fixing the topic.

I know it was you.

Corwin
April 8th, 2008, 01:33
I'm always happy to oblige!! :)

dteowner
April 8th, 2008, 02:06
Y'all are mean. If I hadn't started Dodd's Wiz8 mod, I'd be looking for my MM6 disks.

Zakhary
April 8th, 2008, 08:35
Y'all are mean. If I hadn't started Dodd's Wiz8 mod, I'd be looking for my MM6 disks.

Yeah, I've noticed that these forums pour out some kind of evil aura that can make you play games that you did not mean to play.
I've seen it many times!

dyze
April 8th, 2008, 09:32
After I finish Geneforge 1, I'm going to start MM9. I actually already created my party and did the little tutorial town. But I'm going to wait until I finish GF before I really try to get into it.

when you do, please report if it comes even near the older games in fun factor :P
i've ignored VIII and IX so far, since ive heard nothing but bad things about them. would have been nice to be proven wrong tho :)

Zakhary
April 8th, 2008, 09:45
I thought the VIII - Day of the destroyer was allright?
I've heard it being called "The Last good Might & Magic".

Corwin
April 8th, 2008, 13:07
VIII isn't too bad, though a trifle on the easy side if you get yourself a Dragon!! :)

Maylander
April 8th, 2008, 13:30
Dark Elf, Dragon, Dragon, Dragon, Dragon. What a party! You can simply spam the autoattack and cruise through the entire game. Truth be told, five liches is probably even more unbalanced later in the game.

Anyhow, MM8 was rather good, and indeed - the last good MM game. MM9 is merely "okay", and a dissappointment once you've played the older, much better games (among the finest RPGs overall, imho).

Regarding the spiders. How many times did those disgusting little creatures make me jump out of my chair because of a sudden *hiss* from below the screen? No idea, but enough to make me go on a crazy killing spree every time I saw one (i.e: "DIIIIEEEEEE SPAWN OF DARKNESS!!!").

dteowner
April 8th, 2008, 14:00
Yep, MM8 had balance issues. I hatedhatedhated recruiting a party rather than building my own. Other than that, it was a fun march. Nowhere near as long as MM6 and not as good as MM7, but still worth the time.

They were in a bit of a pickle with MM9. Release more of the same, and they get slammed for badly dated graphics and no innovation (those complaints had already been levelled at MM8 a few years earlier). Make changes to the winning formula (as they did) and you piss off a legion of fans. Of course, if you put out a bugfest and one of the first quests is totally broken, you're not going to get much love anyway. 3DO was busy dying, so they tossed MM9 out the door half-baked and did a lousy job supporting it after the fact. For fans of the series, it was a slap in the face.

MudsAnimalFriend
April 8th, 2008, 14:16
Yeah, Day of Destroyer got pretty badly slammed for dated graphics and lack of innovation at the time. I think Mandate of Heaven had the best dungeons I've ever played through in this class of RPG, not to mention the sheer size and free-roaming game play. Shame it didn't have Arcomage :(

crpgnut
April 8th, 2008, 15:28
Day of the Destroyer needs a mod that allows for character creation of the whole party. If the same mod disallowed dragon characters, that'd be great too. As it is, I just keep the starting set of npcs and pretend I created them :)

Zakhary
April 8th, 2008, 17:14
Can I play MM8 without recruiting dragons or other funky creatures to my party?
Elves and other almost-humans would be fine.
Oh. And I'm not gonnna mod anything.

Is changing the party members somehow forced? Can I play with the same people throughout the whole thing?

Dark Savant
April 8th, 2008, 17:31
It is recommended to play without dragons in you party. The game is way too easy with them. And beware of bugs http://www.flamestryke.com/mm8/miscdata8/bugs8.html

dteowner
April 8th, 2008, 18:54
Can I play MM8 without recruiting dragons or other funky creatures to my party?
Elves and other almost-humans would be fine.
Oh. And I'm not gonnna mod anything.

Is changing the party members somehow forced? Can I play with the same people throughout the whole thing?The party race choices are based on "traditional evil" selections: minotaurs, trolls, dark elves, necromancers, vampires, and so forth. They still fall into the traditional archetypes (tank, caster, ranger, healer), so it's really just a different set of avatars (along with the introduction of a few race-specific spells).

You only build a single character, and then can grab from a selection of RPCs in the first town. You can complete the game with those RPCs if you wish (I usually did), but it's tough to walk away when your level 10 party comes across a new level 15 RPC that's willing to join.

Zakhary
April 8th, 2008, 19:11
Ok! Thanks, dte. That really made it clear.

Now.. back to MM6 - which is still far from over for me :D

Zakhary
April 8th, 2008, 21:20
Guys! Those of you playing MM6 too, please report something in this thread from your daily gaming sessions. Without too many spoilers obviosly. It'd be nice to talk about this game with people who are actually playing it now too.

magerette
April 8th, 2008, 21:34
Well, since you asked...:)
Last night I was up til almost 3 a.m playing (when you're old, sometimes you can't sleep--wait, I'm not old, I'm 18 with 41 levels of experience)--- and I encountered something I've never run across in the game before--it's somewhat spoilerish though so Zakhary I'll put the worst of it in tags.
I tend to play without walkthroughs except for when I get stuck, so somehow I never knew about this area--I was map-mowing around Silver Cove, laying a wake of smoking devastation all about me, blasting gargoyles and druids with double whammies of fire spells from my two casters and just generally feeling pretty all-powerful when suddenly
I took a few steps off the road to cross a field full of rocks--EGADS!!! I was insta-ported somewhere into a hollow depression crawling with Grand Druids, Greater Druids, and more Druids and died in about .5 seconds.
After a reload, I was able to locate this sinister nest of murdering, scantily clad pagan women and painstakingly destroyed each and every one of them, but it was definitely an adrenaline inducing experience. :)
Amazing that after 4 or 5 playthroughs I can still screw up! :p

Zakhary
April 8th, 2008, 21:51
I need to get really.. REALLY desperate before using walkthoughs or hints or anything like that. Much more fun figuring things out on your own. The tougher the puzzle, the better it feels. no pain no gain.

magerette
April 8th, 2008, 23:47
I find walkthroughs helpful when I'm really stuck--even though I try to anally ransack every area, I still somehow seem to miss things sometimes. I also hate having to spend hours on switch and lever order puzzles, so I'll cheat for that--but I agree, too much walkthru spoils the game. It's like reading the last page of books 'to see how it comes out.'

I do have to use my lists of trainer locations, where to get skills, and sometimes even potion ingredients, however, due to simple memory failure. In MM7 all that stuff is in the auto-journal, which makes me feel better, like maybe other people forget things occasionally, too. :)

Maylander
April 9th, 2008, 09:30
There are several places in the game where you suddenly get teleported into a pit of doom. My advice is: Save often, and in different slots. :)

sherwinz28
April 9th, 2008, 19:29
One of my first priorities in the game is to get town portal and meteor shower ASAP, also fly. Raining down meteor showers throughout the map was awe inspiring for me. For Titans I believe I used starburst or was that for those walking dragons.

Zaleukos
April 10th, 2008, 11:42
Town portal and Lloyds beacon are essential in all the MM games.

magerette
April 10th, 2008, 16:51
Also, something I didn't really pay attention to in my first playthroughs--skills trump shinies. Spending your gold for skill training and the appropriate spells does far more for your chars survivability than investing in that Dragon Leather of Elec Resistance when you don't even have Expert leather yet. The only items worth forking out for early are the mana and hit point regenerating ones, imo.

@Maylander: yes, Save early, Save often is a mantra worth repeating. :)

Zakhary
April 12th, 2008, 12:35
Still journeying onwards! Just cleared the silver helm keep in the mist island.

Zakhary
April 13th, 2008, 13:32
I'm strolling around freehaven at the moment.

This game rocks so much that I don't want to stop playing even to have some yoghurt.

My wife is pretty pissed too.

dteowner
April 13th, 2008, 15:12
She's going to get worse. You're somewhere around the half-way point of the game.

Zakhary
April 13th, 2008, 15:31
I've got two "regenerates spell points over time" items.
If I use them on the same character, will the effects stack?

magerette
April 13th, 2008, 15:57
I don't think regenerating items stack--but the more expensive the item is, the better it seems to work. (So an expensive ring regens quicker than a cheap helmet.) Someone else may know better.

I'm wrapping up the promo and council quests--I really wish now I'd gone for an all-caster party. My paladin is a joke.

Zakhary
April 13th, 2008, 19:14
I'm at level 23 now.
Is there a cap?

dteowner
April 13th, 2008, 21:27
I never encountered one. Doesn't mean there isn't one, but I pulled every XP out of the game (short of intentionally stalling to let the wandering monsters to regenerate) and didn't cap out.

Zakhary
April 13th, 2008, 21:44
This is an incredibly good game.
I'm going to play M&M7 right after I finish this.
Then I'm gonna play M&M8.

Perhaps I'm desperate enough to try 9.

I'm also thinking of playing Might & Magic I.

...would be so cool to finish every damn game in this series.

dteowner
April 13th, 2008, 22:36
I'm a bit jealous. Outside of Wiz8, I haven't really had that all-encompassing feeling of joy and addiction that playing M&M gave me back in the day, and is now giving you.

Corwin
April 14th, 2008, 00:27
My all caster party kicks ass!! 1 Mage, 1 Cleric and 2 Druids!! I've only done one Council Quest, but several Promo quests and only running out of money all the time holds me back!! :) Went through nearly 100k gold in about 10 minutes yesterday!!!!

dyze
April 14th, 2008, 00:57
i usually always have an insane warrior in all my mm parties :P

magerette
April 14th, 2008, 03:03
I'm a bit jealous. Outside of Wiz8, I haven't really had that all-encompassing feeling of joy and addiction that playing M&M gave me back in the day, and is now giving you.

I agree--Zakhary's getting one of those bar-setting experiences. I'm enjoying this playthrough, of course, but the first time was just a gaming epiphany ;) I called in sick to work, had a notebook full of lists and plans, and generally lived on coffee and junk food while my family ordered pizzas for dinner.

Good times. :p

JDR13
April 14th, 2008, 03:21
Thinking about getting the MIGHT AND MAGIC PLATINUM EDITION (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190213403840&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching). All this talk about the M&M games is making me want to give them a go. I've never played any them other than giving Worlds of Xeen a try, but the ancient graphics and sound fx were tough for me to get past. I figure I'd give the series another try starting with M&M VI since that's where the series seems to make a leap tech-wise.

dteowner
April 14th, 2008, 04:05
The graphics are lousy and the sound is worse (even by the standards of the time), but those games are just plain fun to play. If you're into exploration, VI will probably be your favorite. If character/party building floats your boat, VII will probably take the crown. Regardless, the gameplay in both will keep you coming back for more.

Dark Savant
April 14th, 2008, 07:42
I found some files on my hard-disk related to M&M VI

first M&M VI pics on the net, dated 04.12.1997

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/165/firstpicsfrommmviwt6.jpg

The original press release

Thursday April 30, 8:34 am Eastern Time
Company Press Release
3DO Announces the Highly Anticipated Release of Might and Magic VI
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 30, 1998--3DO today announced the retail availability of the epic new addition to New World Computing's Might and Magic series.
Might and Magic(R) VI The Mandate of Heaven comes from the same group of developers at New World Computing led by Jon Van Caneghem who redefined the genre with Might and Magic I through V. Unveiled to rave reviews at last year's E3 Show in Atlanta, gamers will finally feast their eyes on stunningly new technology and a brand new gameplay engine combining unique first person movement with both real-time and classic turn-based play.
``This is the best Might and Magic that I have ever made,'' said Jon Van Caneghem, President, New World Computing. ``It is by far the largest and most ambitious game in the history of role playing games (RPG) taking it to a level that has never been seen before with the combination of real-time and turn-based play. The game is literally huge and remains challenging all the way through the very end which is a testament to how the game design came together as we readied the product for retail.''
THE HISTORY
The Might and Magic series began with its first installment ten years ago and established itself as the most heralded RPG series of all time with an incredible story line and addictive game play model that kept its audience playing for literally hundreds of hours. The same team of developers has continued with this successful series, upping the ante in terms of fun and technologic advancement with every installment. Having sold over 3.5 million units, the series has won countless awards including garnering ``Game of the Year'' honors for each installment. Might and Magic VI The Mandate of Heaven is poised to follow this successful legacy and bring the PC gaming world once again to its knees.
THE TECHNOLOGY
Might and Magic VI takes computer role-playing into uncharted territory. Never before has a RPG had both a smooth-scrolling real-time engine and the ability to seamlessly switch between turn-based and real-time gameplay on the fly. The Labyrinth, and Horizon engines allow players full six degrees of freedom, including flight, in a 16-bit, high color world. This graphically rich environment will allow players to become fully immersed in the Might and Magic universe.
THE GAME
The Might and Magic VI world is huge, ten times larger than any of its predecessors with more than 1000 miles of virtual terrain, dozens of dungeons, caverns, crypts, and castles to explore. And, the world is alive through an integral time clock that allows for multiple plot lines to evolve simultaneously in real-time. In traditional Might and Magic style, players will explore a medieval world rife with intrigue, deceit, and surprise as they uncover the secret of what set them on this epic adventure. Might and Magic VI's living world allows players to interact with more than 500 non-player-characters, combat 200 monsters, and engage in hundreds of quests.
Another advancement in the RPG category is the ability of the player to control an entire party of adventurers. Each player has the chance to create a unique party of four adventurers composed of definite individuals with the free form character development system. The six character classes provide thousands of character possibilities and combined with the countless number of authentic weapons, armor, items, and robust spell schools make the replay value of this game infinite.
THE STORY
Since the mysterious disappearance of Good King Roland, the dynasty of child Prince Nicolai Ironfist I totters on the brink of ruin. Calamities, natural and otherwise, wrack the country while an ineffectual High Council and Regent concern themselves only with lining their pockets and winning petty power struggles. A doomsday cult has formed, pointing to the disappearance of Roland, the floods, the earthquakes, and an invasion of demons from the sky as evidence that the end of the world draws nigh. The people have begun to whisper that the Ironfists have lost the Mandate of Heaven -- the divine right to rule. Can you put right what is wrong, or will the Ironfist lose its grip?
RETAIL AVAILABILITY
New World Computing proves once again that they have not lost their ``divine right to rule'' this category with the introduction of Might and Magic VI. The series has been a crowd-pleaser since it was first published in 1986 and since then has sold over 3.5 million copies worldwide. Might and Magic VI The Mandate of Heaven is now available with an expected retail price of $49.95 or $64.95 for the limited edition that includes a collector's edition CD, cloth map, and exclusive strategy guide. More information can be found on the Internet through the game's website located at http://www.3do.com/mm6. It is also available through 3DO direct sales at 1-800-336-3506 or online at the 3DO website at http://www.3do.com.
This release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties. Potential risks and uncertainties include, without limitation, the Company's ability to develop and ship future products, market demand and acceptance for the Company's current and future software products, and the consequences of competitive factors in the marketplace. Further information on potential factors which could affect these forward looking statements and the Company's financial results are included in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the Company's Reports on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended December 31, 1997 and the Company's Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal quarter ended March 31, 1998.
New World Computing, a division of the 3DO Company, is a worldwide designer, developer, and publisher of entertainment software. Founded in 1984, New World Computing is renowned for its technologically advanced products, offering the highest level of graphics and audio presentation to enhance the gaming experience.
The 3DO Company, headquartered in Redwood City, Calif., develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software for personal computers, the Internet, and advanced entertainment systems such as the PlayStation. 3DO markets and publishes its products worldwide under multiple brand names including New World Computing, Cyclone Studios, and Team .366. More information about 3DO products and the full text of certain press releases can be found on the Internet at http://www.3do.com.
Note to Editors: 3DO, Might and Magic, Heroes of Might and Magic, New World Computing, Team .366, Cyclone Studios, and their respective logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of The 3DO Company.

The 3DO Company
Tuesday Uhland, 650/261-3142

Dark Savant
April 14th, 2008, 07:48
pre-FAQ version 1.62 by Robert Merritt
Last updated August 26th, 1997

1. Introduction

1.1 What is Might and Magic VI?
-Might and Magic VI is the next chapter in the Might and Magic series for computers. Might and Magic is the third oldest on going computer role playing game series. Only Wizardry and Ultima are older.

1.2 When will Might and Magic VI be released?
-The game WAS on track for a November 1997 release. Now the release date is just early 1998.

1.3 What are the system requirements?
-On New World Computing's Might and Magic VI web page it says "Pentium 90, 16 MB Ram, 80 MB hard drive space, Windows 95, 1MB VRAM, mouse and keyboard."

With that being said, it depends on what mode you play. Turn base movement and combat may run fine on a Pentium 75. On the other end of the scale, a Pentium II or K6 running at 266mhz might be required for real time movement and real time combat. I have no idea what would be requred for the Mac version. Sources at the 3DO game day have said that the frame rate was low. Now, 3D cards and MMX could help out.

1.4 Will it support 3D cards and MMX?
-Right now, the engines do not support either 3D cards or MMX. However, the designers hope to add support for both before the November release. It is rumored that support of the Rendition chipset or MMX are more likely than 3DFX since M&M6 relies on a lot of 2D animation to occur at the same time as 3D animation.

1.5 Will Might and Magic VI have network play?
-Maybe. 3DO is creating an online game similar to Ultima Online based on Might and Magic. 3DO, NWC's owners, is very excited about Might and Magic. They are planning the fore mentioned online game, and two more additional games using the Might and Magic engine set in the same world. Characters created in Might and Magic 6 will be transferable to Might and Magic Online.

2. Game play

2.1 Is Might and Magic VI going to be like every other Might and Magic?
-Yes and No. Yes it will be a rpg where you control a party of characters, hacking and slashing through the country side, solving puzzles and collecting treasure. However it will have a 3d world instead of a title based one, the plot will evolve independant of you instead of because of you, and NPCs will have a mind of their own.

2.2 Isn't using a Quake-like engine going to make to world seem rather bare?
-The game world is being designed by an architect. So houses will have realistic furniture situated in a realistic fashion. Towns will also have a real layouts with thought out traffic flow and buildings made out of local resources. In short, if they are going through all this effort, odds are they have a Quake-like engine that can show off these fancy design.

2.3 Does Might and Magic VI sound a lot like Daggerfall?
-The two games have similarities. In my personal opinion, they are not that similar. Daggerfall is a Doom like game with RPG elements added and MM6 is a role playing game with a Quake like enviroment. In truth we will not know for sure until MM6 is released.

2.4 What is the story line going to be like?
-Random House, the publisher of the Might and Magic books, has stated that Might and Magic 6 will be based on their series. Which means one of the heroes could be Jassed Attqua, of Lune, a member of the Arc, and the villian could either be Dubiel or Shadowsmith. In the Next Generation online preview, they mention the story line revolves around the dissappearance of the good King Roland and the misfortunes befallen his kingdom. NWC M&M6 page goes on to say that the child Prince Nicolai Ironfist has lost is Mandate from Heaven to rule and its up to your party to restore it. As quoted in PC Gamer, "The plot promises to be anything but linear, with lots of possible branches to follow and more than one way to reach a given goal. That's especially important, since the game is always in motion. The favorite example of Mark Caldwell, lead programmer and head designer of MMVI, is this: If you find out that some duke's daughter has been kidnapped, you can choose whether or not to rescue her. Save her, and you might have her father as an ally. If she were later to marry some other duke, then you'd have both dukes as allies. If, however, you decide not to rescue her, you might make two enemies. That may not be a bad thing, though -- being on those two dukes' bad side may make you a friend to a third duke, someone you might not have had access to if you were already allied with the first two. "

2.5 Is Might and Magic 6 a turkey? and Does Might and Magic 6 suck?
-The game isn't out yet. No one knows.

2.6 So why are people saying Might and Magic 6 is going to suck?
-My only guess is that the lack of good RPGs have made gamers bitter.
3. General questions

3.1 When I called NWC a while back, they said there wasn't going to be another Might and Magic. What gives?
-They changed their minds.

3.2 What is character generation going to be like?
-Character generation is going to be point based. The player will be given an allotment of points which he or she can distribute to any number of skills. If you want to have a strong but dumb fighter or a weak but smart wizard, you can build them rather just hitting the re-roll button hundreds of times until you get a character that you like.

3.3 Could you tell me more about the two engines Might and Magic 6 will use?
-Both engines will support 16 bit color at 640x480 resolution. The Horizon engine looks pretty much like Magic Carpet 2 with a greater number of sprites. The Labyrinth engine for indoors is a cross between Quake and Build engines. The world and object are true 3D but most of the creatures are sprites. Some areas, such as a church, shop, or some NPCs will be rendered pictures that will pop up. The engines will feature some dynamic lighting and pixel smoothing will help keep sprites looking good even close up. The outdoor engine has the ability to show accurate weather, time passage in the way of day and night and seasons. There is actually a third 2d engine that runs the automapper. The automapper shows the world in full color and marks the location of all objects and people.

3.4 What are the NPCs like?
-There will be many generic shop owners, monsters, and townspeople. Might and Magic has always been a hack and slash adventure game and the sixth installment promises to be no different. However, besides those, there will be around 300 detailed NPC that "think" for themselves and effect the plot or are effected by the plot. You will be able to hirer two NPCs into your party.

3.5 What are the quest like?
-The quest will be constantly evolving. Some will twist and turn, some will just naturally change. Dungeons will repopulate themselves slowly over time. NPCs may decide that the quest you are on isn't more important than their quest. And so on. NWC is stressing that "FedEx" missions will be kept to a minimum.

3.6 What is the combat system like?
-You have two option, Turn based and Real Time. The "preferred" combat system will be real time. However real time combat in MM6 isn't the same as real time combat in a game like DOOM. Actually its a fast paced turn based combat system simular to the one found in the Final Fantasy rpg series. In turn based mode, the combat engine waits for you to supply input.

3.7 How is the magic system?
-Its the same as in previous M&M games but with a few changes. The need for gems has been dropped and magic is devided up into nine catagories instead of two.

3.8 Do you character have a reputation?
-Yes. Desslock explains, " Your party's reputation is very dynamic. There are two types, perceived and actual. If you kill someone, and then kill all the witnesses before they can spread what they know, your preceived reputation will be higher than your actual reputation."

3.9 Will 3DO have public beta testing for M&M6?
-I have asked them and the answer I got said that all beta testing would be done internally.

3.10 What ever happen to Jon Van Caneghem?
-He still runs New World Computing and is currently working on Might and Magic 6.

M&M VI easter eggs
http://www.pottsland.com/mm6/eastereggs.shtml

DeepO
April 14th, 2008, 09:48
I haven't read the whole thread so maybe it has been already posted, but new mod for Might&Magic VII has been released.
Sorta release thread is here: http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8194&sid=ed86cf0439ef2c0b5c4edbbe23022442
And the latest version can be downloaded here:
http://celestialheavens.com/index.php
(look for post dated Apr 07)
It seems to be making quite a lot of changes and additions and hopefully with the latest release it should be bug-free. May be a refreshing experience.

Zakhary
April 14th, 2008, 09:51
Yeap. I'm having a kick-ass experience.
I'm starting to think that the sixth one is even better than my favourite so far
- mm3.

JDR13
April 14th, 2008, 10:15
Yeap. I'm having a kick-ass experience.
I'm starting to think that the sixth one is even better than my favourite so far
- mm3.

You really thought M&M 3 was better than Worlds of Xeen? I thought WoX was widely regarded as the best of the old (pre M&M VI) games.

Zakhary
April 14th, 2008, 10:23
Yes I did. I enjoyed it much more. Had more fun playing it. I still remember many of the dungeons in there. World of Xeen was much more forgettable.
It had nicer graphics and sound... but I don't really care about that. And there were two or three others here that thought that way too.
..Not that I care what others think or what is widely regarded as what.

Zakhary
April 14th, 2008, 14:29

I agree--Zakhary's getting one of those bar-setting experiences. I'm enjoying this playthrough, of course, but the first time was just a gaming epiphany ;) I called in sick to work, had a notebook full of lists and plans, and generally lived on coffee and junk food while my family ordered pizzas for dinner.

Good times. :p

I know how you guys feel. I watched a friend of mine play Planescape: Torment and praise me for forcing him to start playing it. I still love to play it but it's never quite like the first time.

There aren't really any newer games that give you this kinda experience. Don't know if you have noticed it. There are good games and even very good games (the most recent for me would be MOTB) but they are not as good as these 90's classics.

I get pretty sad when I'm playing fancy expensive modern resource-hungry games that take 10gigs just to install on an expensive very fast pc - and the game runs just barely, only to realize that there are far more interesting games that fit on a floppy and would run on an ancient pc. People put millions of money and tons of working hours by huge development teams into these games... and all they come up with is a game that has nothing to offer but running forward, shooting things and watching shiny shader surfaces.

Then I take a look here:

http://www.the-underdogs.info/genre.php?id=7&sort=rating

And feel good again cause I know that I'm not gonna run out of great new (to me) games to play even if all game development on earth would stop alltogether.

Sorry for the rant.

Back to playing M&M6 :D !! (and all is well again)

DeepO
April 14th, 2008, 15:02
Then I take a look here:

Aaah, Albion.

It was a good rant, btw.

Zakhary
April 14th, 2008, 15:13
Whooaaahh! I just found such a kick-ass axe for my knight that it almost brings tears to my eyes!

Zakhary
April 14th, 2008, 17:16
Pheeew! That was quite a bunch of dwarves.....

Alrik Fassbauer
April 14th, 2008, 20:20
Thinking about getting the MIGHT AND MAGIC PLATINUM EDITION (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190213403840&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching).

Have never seen this here ... I don't remember.

Maylander
April 15th, 2008, 09:58
All this talk about Might & Magic made me start MM8 over again. I was a bit afraid that time had taken its toll, and that I would find it impossible to play. Not even close. Having a great time at the moment, and might just start MM6 or 7 after I'm through with 8.

I've already picked up the first dragon NPC: Yes, they are as overpowered as I remembered, but that doesn't reduce the fun of the raw power these guys represent! I don't think I'll be going for a main character (can't be dragon) + 4 dragons, as this is just a bit too easy, but I'll definetly drag along a couple of dragons for the fun of it.

Maybe I'll do a replay after this and get a more serious party.

Corwin
April 15th, 2008, 13:11
Yes, 8 was WAY too easy after the challenge of playing the Light side with 7. The Dark side was far less of a problem.

Zakhary
April 15th, 2008, 14:31
Just when I'm beginning to think that I've reached moderately high levels of experience and have gotten myself a kick-ass set of gear...
I accidentally run into something that uses my inner organs as shoe polish.

I llllllllllove it.

In most games, this is the part where things get "saturated" and you just run around and kill things and feel like a demi-god.
I'm so glad I haven't seen anything like that.. at least not yet.

Sir Markus
April 15th, 2008, 15:07
I thought VII was the best of those three games, but VI was a close second. VIII was above average, but like somebody said, too easy. Just my opinion. Oh, and I hate to say it, but don't waste your time with IX; it's frustrating beyond words how bad that game was compared to the three that came before it.

crpgnut
April 15th, 2008, 16:19
I enjoyed IX, but it does have some fairly major patience requirements. I'm playing VI now, I generally stop playing VII after I get all the 2nd promotions finished. I don't like the sci-fi endings to MM games.

Zakhary, I've done NS outdoors, the two dungeons in NS, went to Ironfist and cleared the outside area, then I did the Wizard promotion quest and have arrived in Free Haven. I'll probably do the sewers and then head to Bootleg Bay and clear the Temple of Tsantsa and maybe the Temple of the Fist? (the quest for the dude who lives in the temple parish in BB). The wizard promotion is so easy, that I generally knock it out as fast as possible to start accumulating better hp and sp for my sorcerer/wizard. I used a lot of abbreviations so I don't spoil anyone who might be thinking about playing. I chose a paladin, but he seems kinda useless. I should have grabbed a knight instead. I'm the typical Paladin, Archer, Cleric, Sorcerer party setup.

Zakhary
April 15th, 2008, 16:29
I haven't even thought about the wiz promotion. Hmm... I did the promotions for my knight and paladin, tho.

I'm going with Knight, Paladin, Cleric, Sorc.

I'm in a place with lots of wolves now... :D
Gathering goldgoldgold to buy some more light&dark spells,
since I found nice doughnut shops that sell them.
And my plan worked, this place is a damn loot-fest.
Those greater ww's do hit pretty hard :(

It becomes quite costly. I'm buying light spells for the cleric
and dark spells for the sorc.

Zakhary
April 15th, 2008, 16:39
IIRC temple of tsantsa had a hidden door... with a certain very unpleasant creature behind it.

Corwin
April 16th, 2008, 01:14
Why are none of you using Druids??!! Don't you realise that THEY are the most versatile uber characters in VI. They are decent fighters and can cast both Sorc and Cleric spells!!

Turjan
April 16th, 2008, 04:44
Yes, Druids rock! I'm not sure whether I want to try the 2 Sorc 2 Druid combo, as the start would be somewhat masochistic, but I'm still thinking about it.

Corwin
April 16th, 2008, 05:41
Change one Sorc for a Cleric (they get L/D magic) and you're running my party. With a little thought, even the beginning isn't too great a challenge. Just remember to specialise early on!!

Zaleukos
April 16th, 2008, 09:52
It becomes quite costly. I'm buying light spells for the cleric
and dark spells for the sorc.

The economy was always a bit iffy in the M&M games:p Once your merchant (or whatever the trading skill is called) is high enough you can buy items, perma-enchant them, and sell them back to the shop at a profit.

Maylander
April 16th, 2008, 09:59
@Corwin
How would you specialize? I've never done a full caster game before, so I always just have two general casters (a healer and a damage dealer). I have done a full lich game in MM8, which ends up being very easy because of certain extremely powerful spells.

JDR13
April 16th, 2008, 11:41
Ok that's it, I'm definitely getting that M&M collection.

zakhal
April 16th, 2008, 13:22

I gave up too. :P Since all left from my original MM6 is the manual I had to buy them all. I was lucky to get a brand new -factory sealed- MM6 Special Edition. It includes MM1-6 in a real nice box with extras. Feels almost like a crime to open it (It has been closed for a decade or so).

Rest of the series 7-9 I bought complete in box. It wasnt really that expensive. You can get stuff cheap from ebay/amazon if youre lucky.

Collecting Guide

If you’re looking to obtain each game it is really quite simple. As of now (January 2004) you can generally find a copy of "Might and Magic VI Special Edition" for $10 to $30 this includes Might and Magic I-VI and Swords of Xeen. Might and Magic VI-IX can be purchased with the "Might and Magic Platinum" collection.

You may also want the "World of Xeen CD-ROM" which is available in the "Might and Magic Millennium Edition" package and as a standalone product.

As 3DO has gone bankrupt all "Might and Magic" and "Heroes of Might and Magic" titles are becoming more and more difficult to obtain.

Originally copies of I-V are fairly rare, the newer titles are starting to become rare. The titles will occasionally show up on eBay and usually you can get a good price for them (under $10.00), but it depends on how many people are looking.

This list was created by Blaine Myers.

http://www.mmpages.net/mmpages/index.php?title=Collectors_Guide

I plan to play MM1 on NES (enhanced version). MM2 and MM3 on SNES (enhanced versions). Its really nice to play from sofa with gamepad.

Not sure whether I need to get the World of Xeen CD-ROM. I might pick it from some abandonsite if its not in the MM1-6 collection.

I also picked some strategy guides which were almost free (4-5 euros).

dteowner
April 16th, 2008, 13:26
Bah! All you caster pansies... Run the "Crusades" party--4 kaaaniggets. It's called Might and Magic for a reason.

Zakhary
April 16th, 2008, 14:13
zakhal, where did you get that stuff? Those compilation boxes?

Also, where did you get that nes/sness stuff? I have M&M2 for the SNES but it's in german :( ... and I don't speak german... and I really dislike the language so I'm not gonna study it either.

All caster parties? HERESY!!!! MACHT UND MAGIK!
You're totally helpless when the mana runs out?
Well.. there's archery of course...

Bah! Heresy!

Zakhary
April 16th, 2008, 14:18

Way to go, man. You won't regret it. I'm happy for ya!

zakhal
April 16th, 2008, 14:29
zakhal, where did you get that stuff? Those compilation boxes?

The MM6SE I got from
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00015GYOK only 49$ ~ 33€. Dirt cheap. Seems like they still have more of them available. All new and sealed.

Rest I just bought from ebay.co.uk. The delivery from uk is just 2-3 pounds.

Also, where did you get that nes/sness stuff? I have M&M2 for the SNES but it's in german :( ... and I don't speak german... and I really dislike the language so I'm not gonna study it either.

I play my NES/SNES games on PC emulator and comfy ps2/xbox360 controller. The games I just d/l from som abandonsite. Have to say I havent searched for MM2 or MM3 yet. MM1 NES is the only one I have. It plays great with a gamepad.

If you have a real snes and youre looking for the real cartridges theres lots on ebay.co.uk and ebay.com. I saw atleast one MM SNES one. English at that.

znd I really dislike the language so I'm not gonna study it either.

When I ordered FF8 from one certain finnish store they sent me a german copy. I asked them why they sent german one and they said "why not - you could learn the language while playing it". I was like yeah riiight - lucky Im never hasty to open the seals so I could still return it.

Zakhary
April 16th, 2008, 14:42
Whoa. Great. Thanks. I love you. And yeah I'm using a real (s)nes. Always.

How does ordering from amazon work here in Finland?
I've ordered from play.com because it's nice and easy and tax free and
the delivery is always free.

You can buy Might & Magic 7 and 8 from play.com brand new
for 6.99e. They're those re-release thingies but still a nice deal for
anyone interested.

There's also this
http://www.amazon.de/UBI-Soft-Might-and-Magic/dp/B00004TP9V/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1208350908&sr=1-11

zakhal
April 16th, 2008, 14:57
Whoa. Great. Thanks. I love you. And yeah I'm using a real (s)nes. Always.

How does ordering from amazon.co.uk work here in Finland?
I've ordered from play.com because it's nice and easy and tax free and
the delivery is always free.

There is nothing special in ordering from amazon (you just need a cc). The store adds taxes automatically. Infact its better than most gamestores in Finland. I have bought ton of games&books from there. Delivery costs are few euros from UK/Europe. Much more from US if the item is big.

I order from play.com too but amazon has a bigger collection. Usually I check play.com / amazon.co.uk / ebay.co.uk first. Then Ill check amazon.com / ebay.com - they usually have everything.

You can buy Might & Magic 7 and 8 from play.com brand new for 6.99e. They're those re-release thingies but still a nice deal for
anyone interested.

I prefer to buy the originals, because the re-releases often have the manuals on cd only. Thers nothing more dishertening than to find you just bought nothing more than a dvd in cheap plastic wraps that somtimes are partially broken allready (they break easily). I dont like reading books from computer screen.

I bought all original boxed mm7-9 with complete manuals from ebay.co.uk and they all cost like 10 euros or less.

Zakhary
April 16th, 2008, 15:03
I prefer to buy the originals, because the re-releases often have the manuals on cd only. Thers nothing more dishertening to find you just bought nothing more than a dvd in cheap plastic wraps. I dont like reading books from computer screen.

That's true. But I often even don't read the manual and if I do.. I'll just propably give it a glance for a couple of minutes before I start gaming. And I prefer having my games in those plastic DVD cases, they're convenient and robust.
Also... I like getting things cheap :D I buy re-releases and compilations as often as I can.

Zakhary
April 16th, 2008, 15:05
Just stumbled upon something cool.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ultimate-rpg-archives
Whoa.

It would be unbelievably cool to own that.

zakhal
April 16th, 2008, 15:27
That's true. But I often even don't read the manual and if I do.. I'll just propably give it a glance for a couple of minutes before I start gaming. And I prefer having my games in those plastic DVD cases, they're convenient and robust.
Also... I like getting things cheap :D I buy re-releases and compilations as often as I can.

Depends on the game but som manuals&documentation is simply entertaining and fun to read. This might include som early heroes of mm games, ultima underworld (really cool map of first level) or the Dark heart of uurkul that includes day-by-day journal of the first group that ventured into the dungeon and what happened to them. During the course of the game the journal ties to the game when you read ingame descriptions left by the characters of the journal.

Zakhary
April 16th, 2008, 15:32
Yeah but cool high quality manuals ended somewhere in the mid 90's.
That's stuff isn't available as dvd-box re-releases even if you'd want them to :D

I own this
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/forgotten-realms-archives

It actually includes this thick set of paper manuals for each game.
And also those rune wheel thingies, which is nice.

Zakhary
April 16th, 2008, 16:36
The music here in the freehaven area is awesome.
I find it extremely beautiful and soothing.

Zakhary
April 16th, 2008, 18:11
Can't believe I didn't play this game until now.

Still going on and loving every minute of it.

I can't thing of a single bad thing to say about the game.
This is exactly the kind of stuff I was born to play. Phuck yeah!

Turjan
April 16th, 2008, 18:27
I just noticed that I own two copies of M&M VI. One is the collection of M&M I-VI, which contains all six M&M titles plus Swords of Xeen (only M&M VI has a big handbook). The other copy came with one of those very cheap game collections, and this specific one also came with both Fallout titles, Diablo, and lots of other stuff.

Turjan
April 16th, 2008, 18:29
You're totally helpless when the mana runs out?
Well.. there's archery of course...
In the beginning, that's something to think about. Later in the game, your enemies are dead before your mana runs out.

Zakhary
April 16th, 2008, 18:38
I wouldn't trade my axe-murderer (yes, the knight) for two casters!!!
MIGHT UND MAGIK!!!

magerette
April 16th, 2008, 18:51
I'd happily trade my weak-sister pally for HALF a caster! ;)

I've played before with a knight and also with an archer--the knight is pretty effective, but the archer never seems to be all that impressive with his bow, even with two shots, and his casting ability is limited to non-offense because like the useless paladin, he never gets enough spell points.

It's very true you need a generous mana pool to be effective, however, maxing out the meditation skill helps a lot with this--I'm now at level 40-something and what with Beaconing and townportaling as needed, seldom run out.

Zakhary
April 16th, 2008, 19:05
What I _AM_ gonna try in M&M7, is having a single knight... and then three other party members with HC offensive casting power.

magerette
April 16th, 2008, 19:22
I replayed VII last year, but if I decide to go again I'm following Corwin's all-caster method--and I may even try for the dark side as I've always done the good path.

I think the party you describe though, Zakhary, is one of the more fun and effective ones out there.

narpet
April 16th, 2008, 19:27
I've never tried a monk in any Might and Magic game, so... playing MM7 my party is as follows:

Human Monk
Dwarven Paladin
Elven Cleric
Elven Sorcerer

I'm about 15 hours in and having a blast with that party so far... :)

And I have to say... I'm about as excited about MM7 as you are about MM6 (Zakhary). Even though I've played it before... this play through is making me realize what a truly great game it is. As a matter of fact, if it keeps going like this, MM7 may become my new favorite Might and Magic (a title previously held as a tie between 3 and 6).

Zakhary
April 16th, 2008, 19:30
I'm about 15 hours in and having a blast with that party so far... :)

And I have to say... I'm about as excited about MM7 as you are about MM6 (Zakhary). Even though I've played it before... this play through is making me realize what a truly great game it is. As a matter of fact, if it keeps going like this, MM7 may become my new favorite Might and Magic (a title previously held as a tie between 3 and 6).

That's good to hear! Keep at it, man!
Damn I'm glad I started this thread.

Zakhary
April 16th, 2008, 19:31
I think the party you describe though, Zakhary, is one of the more fun and effective ones out there.

Yeah, I think you're right. Especially about the fun part (which is the most important one for me :D )

Corwin
April 17th, 2008, 00:14
@Corwin
How would you specialize? I've never done a full caster game before, so I always just have two general casters (a healer and a damage dealer). I have done a full lich game in MM8, which ends up being very easy because of certain extremely powerful spells.

Don't try to raise all the skills of each caster. Have one specialise in Water, one in Air and one in Fire to begin for example. Build them up to master before raising another skill.

JDR13
April 17th, 2008, 04:50
I gave up too. :P Since all left from my original MM6 is the manual I had to buy them all. I was lucky to get a brand new -factory sealed- MM6 Special Edition. It includes MM1-6 in a real nice box with extras. Feels almost like a crime to open it (It has been closed for a decade or so).

Rest of the series 7-9 I bought complete in box. It wasnt really that expensive. You can get stuff cheap from ebay/amazon if youre lucky.

I did a search for that MM VI Special Edition but the cheapest I could find it for in the US was $50.00 + shipping. I just can't see paying that much for it when MM I - V can be had for free off abandonia. I'm definitely getting the Platinum Edition (VI - IX) though because I think I want to start with M&M VI first anyways. My fear is that if I start with the first M&M I might get burnt out too soon. I've been told that the first 2 games require an extraordinary amount of patience.

I plan to play MM1 on NES (enhanced version). MM2 and MM3 on SNES (enhanced versions). Its really nice to play from sofa with gamepad.

Not sure whether I need to get the World of Xeen CD-ROM. I might pick it from some abandonsite if its not in the MM1-6 collection.

Don't count on the NES and SNES versions to be better than the DOS ones, you might be disappointed. The graphics are a touch better on the console versions, but they made the view window smaller for some reason. You can see them in action on YouTube.com, I wouldn't consider them "enhanced" at all.

Turjan
April 17th, 2008, 05:30
You probably have to have played old DOS games in order to appreciate them. I hate to admit it, but after playing stuff like Leisuresuit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards in the olden days, I only re-started with MM6 and Baldur's Gate later on. From this experience, it's extremely difficult to get into the mindset and accept the graphical simplicity of old DOS RPGs. This might sound vain, but I guess I would be much more open if I had played the classics when they were new. Unfortunately, I had an anti-gaming spouse ;). And I cannot bring myself nowadays to go below my MM6 and BG experience. I might miss a lot, but I can't help it.

Corwin
April 17th, 2008, 08:13
Tried to install the 1st 5 games from the LE CD and get a CRC error with the main data file; can't even C&P it. Anyone know anything about this?

Zakhary
April 17th, 2008, 09:32
try creating a disk image (iso file for example) from the disk using something like imgburn or winiso or nero or clonecd.

zakhal
April 17th, 2008, 11:38
My fear is that if I start with the first M&M I might get burnt out too soon. I've been told that the first 2 games require an extraordinary amount of patience.

There is always that risk with really old retro games but sofar Its been pretty easy and I kinda like the MM1 NES version. I dont plan on mapping the gigantic world myself though - i just use maps from the web.

Don't count on the NES and SNES versions to be better than the DOS ones, you might be disappointed. The graphics are a touch better on the console versions, but they made the view window smaller for some reason. You can see them in action on YouTube.com, I wouldn't consider them "enhanced" at all.

I really much prefer the NES and SNES graphics/sounds over CGA/pcpeeper? PC version (yack) atleast in MM1 and 2 (MM3 looks ok on pc too). As for the window It doesnt really look smaller on my 32" screen - I havent even noticed any size differences until you claimed them. I have played MM1 NES twice sofar of total around 4 hours.

More importantly the NES version game world seems exact copy of pc version atleast according to the pc walkthough/maps. Only thing missing was proper char creation but I dont mind it.

Also gamepad and sofa is enhancement in itself allready. :)

zakhal
April 17th, 2008, 12:27
You probably have to have played old DOS games in order to appreciate them.

Im totally opposite. The fact that I didnt play them makes me want to play them. I still remember the reviews of i.e pool of radiance (original gold box) and might magic 3 from pelit-mag (I still have the mags). Originally I never had the money to even get the computer so it was not until 20 years later that I play them.

Also there are other older games that I have never heard of like final fantasy series. But still I started to play all of them from the beginning. FF was infact what started my retro gaming. GBA version of FF1. FF2 was on NES but still I went through it. After that I have usually played every series from the start - wiz1-7 been the only exception sofar.

Zakhary
April 17th, 2008, 12:42
Im totally opposite. The fact that I didnt play them makes me want to play them.

Exactly. I'm kinda happy that there are so many classics that I've missed when I was younger and I can enjoy now that I'm a bit older and can fully appreciate the brilliance and genius that these games represent.

During the early 90's... I was pretty young... and did not really like RPG's.

I played M&M3 last summer, which was the first early 90's PC RPG for me.
I hadn't never even seen the game before.

And it was the best gaming experience of the whole year.

Then I played MM4, MM5 and Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession.
I was having a blast.

And I sure as hell am gonna repeat that - my dos crpg marathon - this summer. When there's nothing to look forward to.... Only thing to do is adapt
to crappy games.. or look back in time :D

zakhal, in some way I think we're in the same boat. Trying our best to play all the classic series and games we missed. BTW, have you got a dos rig set-up in some corner or are you just using dosbox on winxp?

I've got two dedicated dos gaming machines. One is my fathers old 300mhz PC and the other one is a 133mhz thinkpad laptop I bought recently.

Turjan
April 17th, 2008, 16:59
I've got two dedicated dos gaming machines. One is my fathers old 300mhz PC and the other one is a 133mhz thinkpad laptop I bought recently.
That probably makes it easier. First, it's a pain to get these old games to run on any of my computers. Second, I don't have a CRT, so I have to choose between stamp-sized pics or extremely blocky blown-up images on my LCDs. I was looking at the party-building screen of MM III on my machine, and I cannot recognize anything (it looks much worse than on the screenshots in the database). This way, it's not really fun for me.

Maylander
April 17th, 2008, 17:08
The easiest way to get MM6-8 to run on new computers (Win XP etc), is to install it using the original discs, and then replace the .exe file with a no-CD cracked .exe file. For some reason, the old MM games seem to have serious issues with DVD ROMs and various tests made in XP when running from the CD.

I had tons of errors I couldn't get rid of when trying to run from the CD, but after I started using the no-CD .exe files, I never had a problem.

JDR13
April 17th, 2008, 18:46
I really much prefer the NES and SNES graphics/sounds over CGA/pcpeeper? PC version (yack) atleast in MM1 and 2 (MM3 looks ok on pc too). As for the window It doesnt really look smaller on my 32" screen - I havent even noticed any size differences until you claimed them. I have played MM1 NES twice sofar of total around 4 hours.

Do you have a 32" PC monitor? Because earlier you said that you were running them on an emulator.

After some more thought, as well as some YouTube watching, I definitely don't plan on trying to play M&M 1 or 2. They're just plain annoying by today's standards.

zakhal
April 17th, 2008, 19:10
zakhal, in some way I think we're in the same boat. Trying our best to play all the classic series and games we missed. BTW, have you got a dos rig set-up in some corner or are you just using dosbox on winxp?

Nope. I just run them on dosbox, virtual pc (dos/win98) or vmds etc. Theres no single game that I have not been able to run. As for real machine I dont really have space for them so its out of the question. I did own 486DX33 dos5 long time ago but I sold it when upgrading to 120Mhz pentium with win95. I still have the dos disk and can install them to virtual pc if needed.

Virtual pc is free btw nowadays.

That probably makes it easier. First, it's a pain to get these old games to run on any of my computers. Second, I don't have a CRT, so I have to choose between stamp-sized pics or extremely blocky blown-up images on my LCDs. I was looking at the party-building screen of MM III on my machine, and I cannot recognize anything (it looks much worse than on the screenshots in the database). This way, it's not really fun for me.

Thats understandable. However I own LCD too and have never experienced such problems (atleast with emulators or dosbox). MM1 NES looks just fine on my screen - I can easily recognize everything - no massive pixelation or anything. Did you play the mm3 through dosbox?

Do you have a 32" PC monitor? Because earlier you said that you were running them on an emulator.

I have a 32" LCD TV as monitor. Have had for two years now. It has pixel perfect 1024x768 and 1366x768 so its superb for older games. Thats one reason why I havent bothered to get a full hd yet.

After some more thought, as well as some YouTube watching, I definitely don't plan on trying to play M&M 1 or 2. They're just plain annoying by today's standards.

The pc versions are horrible cga 4 color without soundcard propably only pcpeeper sounds. But thats why Im planning to play the NES/SNES versions.

I dont really like pc cga games myself either. EGA/MCGA (16 colors) I still accept but that purple 4-color cga stuff is kind of over the border.

JDR13
April 17th, 2008, 19:22
The pc versions are horrible cga 4 color without soundcard propably only pcpeeper sounds. But thats why Im planning to play the NES/SNES versions.

I dont really like pc cga games myself either. EGA/MCGA (16 colors) I still accept but that purple 4-color cga stuff is kind of over the border.

That's only M&M 1, M&M 2 looks almost identical on console and PC. The graphics aren't the reason anyways, it's just the whole game in general.

zakhal
April 17th, 2008, 19:52
That's only M&M 1, M&M 2 looks almost identical on console and PC. The graphics aren't the reason anyways, it's just the whole game in general.

Identical? No way! :)

Might magic 2 PC (pixelated with too much blue colors):
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/might-and-magic-ii-gates-to-another-world/screenshots/gameShotId,115862/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/might-and-magic-ii-gates-to-another-world/screenshots/gameShotId,115869/

Might magic 2 SNES (smooth and more colors):
http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/might-and-magic-ii-gates-to-another-world/screenshots/gameShotId,94146/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/might-and-magic-ii-gates-to-another-world/screenshots/gameShotId,93768/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/might-and-magic-ii-gates-to-another-world/screenshots/gameShotId,93777/

Also console version boasts superb sound/music while pc doesnt even have soundcard yet (first adlib perhaps but that was horrid).

The game might look crude but the basic concept is still the same. You explore surroundings, kill mobs, get loot, buy weapons, get levels, talk with npcs, do quests, solve puzzles and kill som major bad guy.

Also these oldies are part of gaming history so its worth to play through atleast once just to know how it all begun and to really experience the evolution of series. Of course these things might not interest everyone.

JDR13
April 17th, 2008, 20:20
Identical? No way! :)

Might magic 2 PC (pixelated with too much blue colors):
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/might-and-magic-ii-gates-to-another-world/screenshots/gameShotId,115862/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/might-and-magic-ii-gates-to-another-world/screenshots/gameShotId,115869/

Might magic 2 SNES (smooth and more colors):
http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/might-and-magic-ii-gates-to-another-world/screenshots/gameShotId,94146/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/might-and-magic-ii-gates-to-another-world/screenshots/gameShotId,93768/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/might-and-magic-ii-gates-to-another-world/screenshots/gameShotId,93777/

Also console version boasts superb sound/music while pc doesnt even have soundcard yet (first adlib perhaps but that was horrid).

I'm not sure what your idea of "superb" is, but the SNES sound\music is far from it. The differences between the versions in both graphics and sound are negligible trust me.

Look and listen in real time.

SNES version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQFRdZVimeM&watch_response)

PC version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCVgheKJH5I)

I actually think the PC version looks slightly sharper than the SNES one, the console version has a slight blurriness to it, probably due to their attempt to smooth it out. As I pointed out earlier the view window is also slightly smaller in the SNES version.

I'm also not sure if the console versions even contain 100% of the content from the PC versions. I wouldn't be surprised to find that some things may have been cut due to the limitations of the cartridges.

narpet
April 17th, 2008, 20:21
Also these oldies are part of gaming history (which might not interest everyone of course) so its worth to playthrough once just to know how it all begun.

I agree with you on the history thing... but you will find fewer and fewer people who are willing to try to play old games simply because they can't get past the graphics issue.

Intersting note though: My 10 year old son is a pretty heavy gamer... he's into PC games, Playstation2, Wii, Nintendo DS... you get the idea. And since he's 10, 99% of the games he's played are newer and have pretty good graphics... So... you would think that it would be hard for him to enjoy an older game.

A couple of nights ago I was playing M&M7 and my son began watching over my shoulder. He ended up hanging out with me and "helping" me with the game for over an hour. At the end he said, and I quote... "You know dad, that game has pretty bad graphics... but it sure is fun"!

YES...

So that has prompted him to download and play some of the console classics available on the Wii's virtual console thingy. It's great to see him develop a taste and an appreciation for the classics, both PC and console!

Alrik Fassbauer
April 17th, 2008, 20:28
I agree with you on the history thing... but you will find fewer and fewer people who are willing to try to play old games simply because they can't get past the graphics issue.

Yes, I fear the same. The standard is already set sooo high ...

In my case, it depends. Meanwhile I have absolutely no problems with the graphics of e.g. Lands of Lore I, I do have some problems with Might & Magic I, which I just "can't play" (have tried it).

Other M&M games are bettween that.

zakhal
April 17th, 2008, 20:47
I'm not sure what your idea of "superb" is, but the SNES sound\music is far from it.

PC games during the 80s didnt really have much other sounds than pc peeper which is the thing that makes the beep sound when the pc starts. The first soundcard was kind of horrid too. It was not until soundblaster that PC started to have real sounds.

Ive heard som really good game music from snes i.e chrono trigger/FF4 are often
praised for their score. I dont know what the SNES MM3 music is but the capability is definetly there.

The differences between the versions in both graphics and sound are negligible trust me.

Look and listen in real time.

SNES version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQFRdZVimeM&watch_response)

PC version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCVgheKJH5I)

Of course they look the same because they are both console versions. I cant check now what the "pc" version is (might be atari/amiga too) but Im very sure its not PC.

The video pic is totally different from other PC pictures i.e in mobygames. Also it seems to have more than 4/16 colors which is somthing dos games from 1988 (release year of MM2 dos) didnt really have.

Go back and check the pictures I posted. The differences are clear.

I'm also not sure if the console versions even contain 100% of the content from the PC versions. I wouldn't be surprised to find that some things may have been cut due to the limitations of the cartridges.

I dont now about MM2 but MM1 is exact 1:1 copy. You can use pc maps/walkthroughs and its all the same.

EDIT: I checked the "pc" version and its the genesis version of MM2. Genesis was a console more or less equilavent to snes. Genesis also had the MM1 version made which is superior to NES one but unfortunately its japanese only.

Turjan
April 17th, 2008, 21:30
Thats understandable. However I own LCD too and have never experienced such problems (atleast with emulators or dosbox). MM1 NES looks just fine on my screen - I can easily recognize everything - no massive pixelation or anything. Did you play the mm3 through dosbox?
No, I have MM3 with the Win95 installer, but I only tried it on XP in Win95 compatibility mode, which doesn't work that well (haven't experienced a total freeze in XP in a while; that happened during the intro, btw, not the game itself). I have to look whether those versions are ready for dosbox. The Win95 starter skips the copy protection questions, which makes life easier when the pdf handbook is on the same CD as the game ;). No sound yet, but haven't really tried.

Finally, it doesn't help that I only have a widescreen LCD at the moment, because the other one just died.

Zakhary
April 17th, 2008, 21:54
This might be usefull for all you emulator-fake heretics without real gaming machines ;)
http://www.virtualbox.org/

It's small, fast, free and extremely easy to install & use.
And it works great too for all virtual computing needs.

zakhal
April 17th, 2008, 22:00
Finally, it doesn't help that I only have a widescreen LCD at the moment, because the other one just died.

That might explain it especially if you dont play it inside any emulator or sorts because they dont really have widescreen scaling issues.

But if you have a very high resolution LCD and the scaling is not good you might be getting som really bad picture. You might wanna make sure from graphics drivers that scaling is set to hardware scaling. Software scaling with drivers is pales in comparison to hardware one atleast with my LCD.

Also with som LCDs especially TV ones have the ability to change the aspect ratio (ARC button). I have many including 16:10, 16:9 and the standard 4:3. The latter one gives me crystal clear 1024x768 resolution even though my native one is higher.

JDR13
April 17th, 2008, 23:44
PC games during the 80s didnt really have much other sounds than pc peeper which is the thing that makes the beep sound when the pc starts. The first soundcard was kind of horrid too. It was not until soundblaster that PC started to have real sounds.

Ive heard som really good game music from snes i.e chrono trigger/FF4 are often
praised for their score. I dont know what the SNES MM3 music is but the capability is definetly there.

I'm very familiar with the sound capabilities of the SNES having owned one, as well as all the games you mentioned. The sound was quite good (for it's time) but just not what I would call superb. I still dabble with SNES games from time to time, both on an emulator and the real thing.

Of course they look the same because they are both console versions. I cant check now what the "pc" version is (might be atari/amiga too) but Im very sure its not PC.

The video pic is totally different from other PC pictures i.e in mobygames. Also it seems to have more than 4/16 colors which is somthing dos games from 1988 (release year of MM2 dos) didnt really have.

Go back and check the pictures I posted. The differences are clear..

I did look at those pics, but the only one from the SNES was just a title screen which doesn't indicate much to me.

I dont now about MM2 but MM1 is exact 1:1 copy. You can use pc maps/walkthroughs and its all the same.

EDIT: I checked the "pc" version and its the genesis version of MM2. Genesis was a console more or less equilavent to snes. Genesis also had the MM1 version made which is superior to NES one but unfortunately its japanese only.

Mmmm, it seems that guy pulled a fast one on me, he doesn't say anywhere that it's the Genesis version so I assumed it was the pc version. :embarrassed: I find it odd that the Genesis version would look better than the SNES version, that doesn't say much for the latter as the SNES usually had better graphics than the Genesis. If that's the case then I would probably go with the Genesis version.

For M&M III though it's no contest, avoid the SNES port like the plague.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/review/R40421.html

zakhal
April 18th, 2008, 00:01
I'm very familiar with the sound capabilities of the SNES having owned one, as well as all the games you mentioned. The sound was quite good (for it's time) but just not what I would call superb.

Apparently you didnt enjoy the wonders of pc peeber enough then to really appreciate SNES sounds. I still carry the scars in my ears.

I did look at those pics, but the only one from the SNES was just a title screen which doesn't indicate much to me.

Yeah the two latters ones were genesis. (my net is very very slow today so I took the wrong pictures) But there were plenty more on the first link.

I find it odd that the Genesis version would look better than the SNES version, that doesn't say much for the latter as the SNES usually had better graphics than the Genesis. If that's the case then I would probably go with the Genesis version.

Perhaps its just a better port for genesis. Youre right I might choose genesis instead.

For M&M III though it's no contest, avoid the SNES port like the plague.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/review/R40421.html

I never planned that. But it does raise question whether MM1/MM2 content was butchered like that too. I think I search for more info on mm1/mm2 console versions before going for the long run in the game.

EDIT:
Well that didnt take long. Thanks for superb M&M fansites:

MIGHT AND MAGIC BOOK I

* COMPLETE TITLE: Might and Magic Book One: Secret of the Inner Sanctum
* ORIGINAL RELEASE: 1986
* STANDARD PACKAGING: Disks (3 1/2 OR 5 1/4); Manual; Map; Installation Guide; Grid Paper
* AVAILABLE PLATFORMS: PC (DOS); Apple II; Commodore 64/128; PC Engine; MAC, NES.
* SIGNIFICANT DISTRIBUTIONS:
o NES: The nintendo distribution features much better graphics, a much stronger soundtrack (background music, SFX, etc.). The control interface is different (gamepad). The combat system does not have the same rules as the computer versions. The maps are generally the same, and all the quests are the same. Converted to the NES by Sammy.

MIGHT AND MAGIC BOOK II

* COMPLETE TITLE: Might and Magic Book Two: Gates to Another World
* ORIGINAL RELEASE: 1988
* STANDARD PACKAGING: Disks (3 1/2 OR 5 1/4); Manual; Map; Installation Guide.
* AVAILABLE PLATFORMS: PC (DOS); Apple II; Commodore 64/128; PC Engine; MAC; AMIGA; SNES; GENESIS.
* SIGNIFICANT DISTRIBUTIONS:
o SFC (Japanese): The japanese release is a fascinating release of Might and Magic II. The maps and quests are all the same. The graphics are very impressive (there is an animated sky). The background music has a very japanese feel to it. You could only have five members in your party at a time, but they had Anime-style portraits.
o GENESIS: Same maps and quests. Background music, SFX. Combat system is used differently, but the rules are pretty much the same.
o SNES (European): Based off the same engine as the GENESIS release, but the graphics are updated to look significantly better.

http://www.mmpages.net/mmpages/index.php?title=Collectors_Guide#MIGHT_AND_MAGIC_B OOK_I

Hers a nice video on mm2 snes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7XSgaqcbuw&feature=related

Corwin
April 18th, 2008, 00:49
try creating a disk image (iso file for example) from the disk using something like imgburn or winiso or nero or clonecd.

None of those will work, everything halts when they hit the Data file.

PS It used to work in the past. I'm wondering if it's something to do with running a 64 bit OS?

JDR13
April 18th, 2008, 01:30
Apparently you didnt enjoy the wonders of pc peeber enough then to really appreciate SNES sounds. I still carry the scars in my ears.

Sure the SNES sounds good if you're only going to compare it to that. Although I would say it definitely had better sound than the Genesis, which was it's main competitor at the time.

I never planned that. But it does raise question whether MM1/MM2 content was butchered like that too. I think I search for more info on mm1/mm2 console versions before going for the long run in the game.
EDIT:
Well that didnt take long. Thanks for superb M&M fansites:

Mmmm, I would have to question whether some of those statements are opinon rather than facts.

o SNES (European): Based off the same engine as the GENESIS release, but the graphics are updated to look significantly better.

Definitely not true, the 2 videos I posted contradict that statement.

elkston
April 18th, 2008, 04:19
Back to M&M VI:

Does anyone remember the aproach to Castle Ironfist (?) with all those Minotaurs and thier annoying insta-kill "DIE!" spells? Lotsa a fun!!!

To M&M VI quenched a great thirst that CRPG fans had in the late 90s. I mean Ultima VIII & System Shock came out in '94 and after that there was this big drought with the notable exception of Daggerfall in '96 (which I didn't play). Then in '97 - out of nowhere - M&M VI comes to save the day. The next year comes Baldur's Gate and CRPGs are reborn!!!!

JDR13
April 18th, 2008, 05:13
Just curious, anyone else ever wonder why 3DO decided to cut the party to only 4 main characters with M&M VI, as apposed to 6 from the previous games? A limitation of the game engine perhaps?

Also, is there anyone here who has played M&M IX that can say anything good about it? Or is it really as terrible as everyone claims?

narpet
April 18th, 2008, 05:27
Also, is there anyone here who has played M&M IX that can say anything good about it? Or is it really as terrible as everyone claims?

I recently started playing it with TELP's patch and I was actually having quite a bit of fun. Once you get past the first little island the game feels very much like a Might and Magic game (to me anyway).

I was having a lot of fun, but I'm running Vista and there was a major problem with load screens. Basically the game would load (whether loading a saved game or loading a new area), but the load screen would stay on the monitor. The game was actually running behind it, but you couldn't see it.

The only fix I've found on the net is to alt-tab out of the game and then alt-tab back. At first this was working, and it was bearable. But as I got further into the game (maybe 15 hours or so), alt-tab'ing wouldn't work any more. I tried and tried, but had to abandon it. That actually disappointed me because I was having a lot of fun with the game.

So, now I'm playing MM7 in order to get my MM fix... and having a ball.

Zakhary
April 18th, 2008, 16:25
I recently started playing it with TELP's patch and I was actually having quite a bit of fun. Once you get past the first little island the game feels very much like a Might and Magic game (to me anyway).

I think I'm gonna take your word for it and give it atleast a go. (once I'm done
with 6,7 and 8).
And since I already own it (bought it for 1 euro, new factory sealed box),
I think it's the least I can do as a huge M&M fan.

Zakhary
April 18th, 2008, 19:26
This garik's forge dungeon seems pretty challenging once you get.. well... deeper inside :D

Best thing to do against those warlocks seems to be running right next to them and beating the crap out of them because they are resistant to spells and they go down much quicker when all my four characters are just attacking physically.
They take horrible amounts of damage in close combat.

magerette
April 19th, 2008, 01:43
If you manage to figure out the Gharik's Forge bridge puzzle without resort to a cheat sheet, Zakhary, my hat's off to you. This is the first one where I usually have to visit my spoiler page. ;)
Yes, physical force is most effective against the wizard clan--though I soften them up first with Prismatic Light and Inferno spells. The dungeons continue to get more challenging as you go--as elkston mentioned the Kriegspire Castle one with the insta-killing minotaurs is quite a breath of fresh air if you're used to the hand-holding, 'let's not make it too tough school' of rpg..and then you get to Dragonsands, Hermit Isle and the Tomb of Varn...but you'll soon see.

dteowner
April 19th, 2008, 01:54
I still remember my first experience with a Cuisinart. *shiver*

Maylander
April 19th, 2008, 03:55
I think the most memorable moment in MM6 as far as creatures go, was the first time I met a Titan. Well, the knee of one. And then I died.

Turjan
April 19th, 2008, 07:40
This might be usefull for all you emulator-fake heretics without real gaming machines ;)
http://www.virtualbox.org/

It's small, fast, free and extremely easy to install & use.
And it works great too for all virtual computing needs.
Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure whether I have any DOS or Win 95 around, though. The oldest that I still have is a Win 98SE CD, and that one only in the Update version.

Turjan
April 19th, 2008, 07:42
That might explain it especially if you dont play it inside any emulator or sorts because they dont really have widescreen scaling issues.

But if you have a very high resolution LCD and the scaling is not good you might be getting som really bad picture. You might wanna make sure from graphics drivers that scaling is set to hardware scaling. Software scaling with drivers is pales in comparison to hardware one atleast with my LCD.

Also with som LCDs especially TV ones have the ability to change the aspect ratio (ARC button). I have many including 16:10, 16:9 and the standard 4:3. The latter one gives me crystal clear 1024x768 resolution even though my native one is higher.
OK, I'l look into that hardware scaling. Unfortunately, my LCD doesn't have any special settings for 4:3 or other aspect ratios.

Turjan
April 19th, 2008, 07:43
If you manage to figure out the Gharik's Forge bridge puzzle without resort to a cheat sheet, Zakhary, my hat's off to you. This is the first one where I usually have to visit my spoiler page. ;)
Yes, here I have to admit that I also used a spoiler page for that one :D.

Zakhary
April 19th, 2008, 08:04
I didn't use any hints/spoilers page, I had finished the dungeon yesterday when I made the post. The "deeper inside" part was about the elevator and the "second part" of the dungeon. That switch thing was nothing compared to what I had to solve in M&M3!

So.. what kind of hat are you wearing? ;)

And indeed, I initally tried all sorts of fancy tactics and spells against those warlocks - but eventually it became very obvious that the best thing to do is to cast Day of Protection, Day of the gods and Hour of power and then just run straight next to em and start beating. Works everytime, even the last room that was filled with them warlocks.

Today is saturday, and my queen is taking a trip to meet some relatives of hers... that means I've got the house all by myself ( not counting two dwarf rabbits, of course ) ... I wonder how I'm gonna spend my weekend...?

MIGHT UND MAGIK!!!!!!111 :sing::mwahaha::party2::dance:::clap:

Zakhary
April 19th, 2008, 08:13
None of those will work, everything halts when they hit the Data file.

PS It used to work in the past. I'm wondering if it's something to do with running a 64 bit OS?

If you can't make an image out of it... I'd guess that your disc is screwed.
Or your optical drive is having a badhairday.

Corwin
April 19th, 2008, 08:27
Actually, by installing each one individually, I was able to install the first 4. It choked on 5 with an error message. However, they won't run under XP 64, even when I try to tell the installer to run in Win 95 compatibility. Most likely have to use Dosbox!! Don't have any idea what the fault in 5 is, cause I'm using the original disc from the LE release!!

magerette
April 19th, 2008, 16:10
I didn't use any hints/spoilers page, I had finished the dungeon yesterday when I made the post. The "deeper inside" part was about the elevator and the "second part" of the dungeon. That switch thing was nothing compared to what I had to solve in M&M3!

So.. what kind of hat are you wearing? ;)

None at all--had to throw it out the window. ;) And now I know I don't need to start looking for a way to play MM3....

Enjoy your weekend of total Might and Magic depravity. :p

Maylander
April 21st, 2008, 10:11
Completed MM8 this weekend, and have now started an MM7 game (monk-druid-cleric-sorcerer). I'm going the good path I think, to get the monk some healing spells. Should be good fun; I've never really played caster heavy parties before (I usually go for the classic: Knight/Paladin - Random class - Cleric - Sorc).

Zakhary
April 21st, 2008, 10:53
I've hit level 50 with my M&M6 party! :D

Corwin
April 21st, 2008, 13:20
I'm only level 32. I can't afford to train right now after buying a few high level spells!! :)

crpgnut
April 21st, 2008, 16:50
Money, shouldn't be an issue for your party, Corwin. If you have a water master and someone with the merchant skill, just go shopping and buy unenchanted items that cost 450 or more and then enchant them. The profit from doing this adds up very quickly. I generally grab the duper and merchant from Free Haven, port to Blackshire (for the +50 spell point fountatin) and enchant everything the stores sell.
After doing this for a few towns, I'll net about 30,000 gp. Just rinse and repeat for as much gold as you could ever want.

magerette
April 21st, 2008, 17:25
Yep, at L40 I started having so much money it's obscene. My NPCs also boost the income (Banker and Merchant.) Those high level spells are expensive, though, and you have to be careful who you buy and sell your enchanted objects from and to--the more expensive magic shop in Free Haven, for instance, will always rip you off.

crpgnut
April 21st, 2008, 19:39
I'm only an expert merchant, but with a duper and a merchant NPC, I buy and sell at cost in most shops. There are a few that don't play fair, but I don't sell to them :)

Turjan
April 21st, 2008, 21:32
Nothing is too expensive for me. I only sleep in the inn in the Dragonsand :D.

Corwin
April 22nd, 2008, 02:11
I generally make 100k a day, but I have HIGH expenses with an ALL caster party. I've been using the enchant item exploit for years. Actually, the only list I've lost is the one for cheapest trainers; the differences in cost are sometimes double!!

magerette
April 22nd, 2008, 04:24
I recommend Abdul's Discount Training. ;)

Zakhary
April 22nd, 2008, 08:51
I haven't used any of those gimmicks/exploits in my game yet. And I refuse to!
No walkthroughs/hints/lists/maps/cheats either!
MIGHT UND MAGIK!!1

Zaleukos
April 22nd, 2008, 10:33
This thread made me reinstall M&M VI. Like with all M&M games I do use a spoiler page for trainer locations (I dont want to spend time searching for those), but otherwise it's been manageable without.

I use the Golden touch spell for money, and before I got light mastery I used to teleport to New Scorpigal for selling junk.

There are some interface issues that bug me and slows down the game. Merchant (only for buying/selling items, not for training and buying skills) and repair skills should apply to the entire party as long as the character with the skill is awake. Given how things can be repaired in zero time even without the repairman being active it wouldnt make the game easier, just more convenient to play...

Zakhary
April 22nd, 2008, 10:48
This thread made me reinstall M&M VI.

That's nice to hear! Good for you! You'll be shouting "MIGHT UND MAGIK!!11" in no time ;)

Zaleukos
April 22nd, 2008, 10:59
I'm much more likely to wake up in the middle of the night screaming "eyes, damn the eyes!!!". May those critters burn in hell, especially as they have a nasty habit of sending my only water magic capable character into sleep.

Otherwise I've certainly optimised my party better this time around, but the amount of enemies in the game is a bit daunting (and one reason that I dont really rate M&M as the best series EVAH:p).

dteowner
April 22nd, 2008, 13:58
(and one reason that I dont really rate M&M as the best series EVAH:p).Heretic. Heathen. Generally naughty person.

Reform! Repent! Come to the M&M light!

Zakhary
April 22nd, 2008, 14:10
Yes, MIGHT UND MAGIK!!!!11

crpgnut
April 22nd, 2008, 15:11
My biggest gripe with MMVI is that there isn't an easy way to replenish spell points other than sleeping. Alchemy is basically useless in MMVI, but it is wonderful in VII. I generally get bored with the game when I can only cast two shrapmetal spells before each nap. If I could have the dungeons of VI with the alchemy and spell system of VII, that'd be the best of both worlds. Like Corwin, I run an all caster party, although my archer is a semi-tank too. Fireball is the most potent spell in the game because it does a lot of damage for only 8 spell points. My archer and both mages can cast this spell and it is a great way to clear most monsters. I still have to sleep a lot though. 3-4 naps/dungeon is not unusual.

zakhal
April 22nd, 2008, 15:11
I haven't used any of those gimmicks/exploits in my game yet. And I refuse to!
No walkthroughs/hints/lists/maps/cheats either!
MIGHT UND MAGIK!!1

I bet you couldnt finish mm1 without them. The game has 16 million spaces that you need to map by hand if you dont use walkthrough maps. ;)

Zakhary
April 22nd, 2008, 15:47
Why would I play it then - if I cant solve it by myself.

Ahhh ... all this negativity and complaining and heresy is hurting my might und magic.
Quick! I have to alt+tab back to Might & Magic VI!
Already I have lost too much mana!

JDR13
April 24th, 2008, 03:46
Was finally able to snag that Platinum Edition (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=190215376138&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI) off Ebay, got it cheap too.

Turjan
April 24th, 2008, 06:26
Was finally able to snag that Platinum Edition (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=190215376138&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI) off Ebay, got it cheap too.
Did exactly the same thing (same seller, btw). Arrived today.

Now I have to look for some patches. The controls in XP make my brain swirl.

JDR13
April 24th, 2008, 19:22
Did exactly the same thing (same seller, btw). Arrived today.

Now I have to look for some patches. The controls in XP make my brain swirl.

I will be playing them in Windows XP as well, what is wrong with the controls?

Turjan
April 24th, 2008, 20:08
I will be playing them in Windows XP as well, what is wrong with the controls?
I started MM6 up, and when I just slightly clicked the turn key, it was already a 120 or 180 degree turn. I could not limit the turning to anything smaller. But there are fan patches out for that.

Zakhary
April 24th, 2008, 20:11
Just change the turn rate to "smooth" in the game options.
Worked for all my computers. both 2k and xp.

The only patch/fix/thing I have installed is the latest mok's patch.

Turjan
April 24th, 2008, 20:41
Just change the turn rate to "smooth" in the game options.
Worked for all my computers. both 2k and xp.
Thanks for the hint.
The only patch/fix/thing I have installed is the latest mok's patch.
Which is supposed to fix several things for XP.

Zakhary
April 24th, 2008, 20:46
No need to suppose anything, there's a link to the patch notes in the first post of this thread.

Turjan
April 24th, 2008, 21:31
No need to suppose anything, there's a link to the patch notes in the first post of this thread.
Ah, yes. Anyway, the game at least runs. Perhaps, I also try the compatibility mode, which I had not activated yet.

Corwin
April 25th, 2008, 00:30
Shouldn't need compat mode, I'm running it in XP64 with no problems!!

Turjan
April 26th, 2008, 18:55
That sounds good, thanks! I'll try the smooth turning option then. And I'll have to look for a similar thing in Deus Ex, because that had the same problem.

JDR13
April 26th, 2008, 20:31
My copy arrived today.

I was pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of full color maps for all 4 games, you don't usually get those types of extras with such collections.

Vey nice maps too btw, I'm thinking of actually getting them laminated.

Zakhary
April 26th, 2008, 20:56
That's nice. I think the M&M maps are especially cool somehow.
Just looking at them makes you want to play the game and explore everything.
The map that came with oblivion was pretty dull -just as a counter example.

I'd even pay big money for a poster-size version of the M&M3 maps which is the coolest I've ever seen.

zakhal
April 26th, 2008, 22:17
I'd even pay big money for a poster-size version of the M&M3 maps which is the coolest I've ever seen.

MM6 SE comes with printed maps 1-5 and cloth map 6. I have all maps except mm8. The game cost only 8 euros so I guess I could try to get another one with map.

JDR13
April 27th, 2008, 05:09
MM6 SE comes with printed maps 1-5 and cloth map 6. I have all maps except mm8. The game cost only 8 euros so I guess I could try to get another one with map.

Actually the map for M&M 8 is very disappointing compared to all the others and is by far the least impressive of all the M&M maps. The landmass represented is small and sparsely detailed compared to M&M 6-7 and even M&M 9.

*Edit* Here's a link (http://www.flamestryke.com/mm8/flamestrykes_mm8.html) to a smaller JPEG of the M&M 8 map if you're interested in what it looks like.

Desslock
April 29th, 2008, 03:25
I loved MM6 - like others have said in this thread, the RPG genre was so barren at the time it came out that MM6 was a major event. Aside from Daggerfall, which was great but a buggy mess, there hadn't been a big, deep RPG in several years. It was a real dead zone for the genre.

MM7 was an improved version of essentially the same game - many of the improvements were small, but they had the cumulative effect of really making the game the pinnacle of the series, in my opinion. By MM8 the engine was getting tired and it felt creatively strained. MM9 was more a sign of 3DO dire condition than anything else, and is certainly worth skipping.

There's also another Might & Magic compilation pack (collection MM1-5, plus Sword of Xeen) which was released from Interplay, called the "Ultimate Might & Magic" Archives, which you might be able to track down at older retailers or in online auctions. Interplay re-released all the old classics in different compilations - the SSI D&D games (not just the Gold Box games - also Eye of the Beholder 1-3, Menzoberranzan, Dungeon Hack, Hillsfar and the 6 forgotten Realms Gold Box games...and Interplay's own Blood & Magic (ugh) - called the Forgotten Realms Siver Archives), the Wizardry Games (I-7, called the "Ultimate Wizardry Archive") and M&M.

azraelck
April 29th, 2008, 13:47
Most of the classic RPGs can be grabbed in various collections.

There's the ultimate Wizardry, Might and Magic, and Ultima Archives, the Forgotten Realms box set, the Gold box games set, SSI 'Masterpieces' set which has Unlimited Adventures, Dark Sun 1 & 2, Ravenloft, and a few other non FR DnD games, Ultimate RPG Archives which has a cross selection of those game along with Bard's Tale, Wasteland, and more, and probably more floating around since I bought my copies that I'm not aware of.

Zakhary
April 29th, 2008, 15:17
I found some "relics".

They seem quite useless tho, can I just sell 'em?

DeepO
April 29th, 2008, 16:13
I found a lot of them in my recent MM7 run and I sold those which were unusable/useless for my party. I guess it's the same with MM6. Unless they are quest items, of course, but that should be in their description anyway.

narpet
April 29th, 2008, 16:46
I found a lot of them in my recent MM7 run and I sold those which were unusable/useless for my party. I guess it's the same with MM6. Unless they are quest items, of course, but that should be in their description anyway.

Not sure if this is the same thing... but in MM7 there is an "Ancient Weapon" skill. I'm not far enough in to have that skill, and I haven't seen any relics. Are they weapons? If so, the "Ancient Weapon" skill may be needed in order to use them.

Turjan
April 29th, 2008, 17:23
I found some "relics".

They seem quite useless tho, can I just sell 'em?
If I remember correctly, relics inn MM6 were standard items with 10 times the normal price. See them as a cash bonus ;).

Turjan
April 29th, 2008, 17:27
Not sure if this is the same thing... but in MM7 there is an "Ancient Weapon" skill.
Not related. "Ancient weapon" has a very special meaning in the MM games.

Zakhary
April 29th, 2008, 17:40
I believe I've found an easter-egg or something.
In the temple of the snake.....

And I had no idea.. Not using a walkthrough or map or anything... Imagine my surprise (those who know what I'm talking about) :D

dteowner
April 29th, 2008, 17:53
Relics are just items with names. There's 2 groups of named items. One group is insanely powerful but has strong negative effects to balance it out (+100 STR / -40 INT, for example) while the other group is less powerful but doesn't carry the penalties. I was thinking one group was relics and the other was artifacts, but I don't remember for certain. I think relics were the powerful ones. I usually sold the powerful group and kept just a few of the lesser group.

Zaleukos
April 29th, 2008, 17:57
I've gotten into the rut where I normally stop playing M&M games:( I'm at level 50 and many of the dungeons left to clear before moving on have most annoying enemies with a ton of hitpoints.

Zakhary
April 29th, 2008, 18:01
That's one more thing that is great about M&M3.
It was 100% fun till the last second.

Most games do reach a point where they kind of "lose the magic" somehow and things get less fun. Everything is too powerfull and too big and there's nothing left to gain and nothing to challenge you. I'm not sure yet if M&M6 has this too.. we'll see soon I guess.

magerette
April 29th, 2008, 19:58
I believe I've found an easter-egg or something.
In the temple of the snake.....

And I had no idea.. Not using a walkthrough or map or anything... Imagine my surprise (those who know what I'm talking about) :D

I only found that one once--and it was fatal. :)

Zakhary
April 29th, 2008, 20:32
I had to watch tv for 15 minutes while tapping the a-key with my left hand :D

My hand was sore after the battle was won....

JDR13
April 30th, 2008, 04:00
C'mon guys give me a spoiler here!!!

magerette
April 30th, 2008, 04:05
Okay--I'm easy. Zakhary would never do it though. :)

It's another trekkie reference, a hidden boss named "Q", JDR--he has 16000 hit points or something--anyway, he supposedly guards a chest with some high level loot, whihc I wouldn't know, since his insta-kill finger of deathing took me out pretty quick in our one encounter.

JDR13
April 30th, 2008, 08:32
Okay--I'm easy. Zakhary would never do it though. :)

It's another trekkie reference, a hidden boss named "Q", JDR--he has 16000 hit points or something--anyway, he supposedly guards a chest with some high level loot, whihc I wouldn't know, since his insta-kill finger of deathing took me out pretty quick in our one encounter.

....he evidently doesn't have the sense of humor that the real "Q" had. :lol:

Zakhary
April 30th, 2008, 09:31
The loot gained was pretty depressing. Only nice thing was that little artifact that came from the body of the monster himself.... A horn that - when carried in inventory- reveals the exact number of hitpoints of any monster.

And now that I know that it's a star-trek reference... I'm even more depressed! As all righteous people know, anything coming out of the TV that has the word "star" in the beginning is pure heresy and should be prohibited and burned.

Maylander
April 30th, 2008, 10:46
Are you talking about the massive dragon at the center room of some dungeon? I recall bumping into a dragon like that, had to find a position where I could hit him and he couldn't hit me, and then put a heavy object on "A" while I left the computer for a long time.

Also, did you just mock Star Trek and Star Wars on a site full of geeks? While Star Trek is a matter of taste, Star Wars is certainly holy..

Zakhary
April 30th, 2008, 12:21
@maylander, nope. it's not that.
it's a hidden easter-egg... not in plainsight... a secret door perhaps... ;)
I found it by accident so it's not that hard... but.. on the other hand I'm pretty good at finding hidden things :D

daavid50
May 28th, 2008, 09:03
In my point of view magic is a great art and all love magic. I've never seen in my life anyone doesn't like magic. I love magic and watch magic show when i get some time for relaxation. I think it's amazing.

JDR13
May 28th, 2008, 09:33
Eh?.........ok

Kae
October 2nd, 2008, 22:54
Hi all, Kinda new here, was searching web for other M&M players. I am on M&M VI, limited edition, which just means it doesn't need patches I guess. I try to only look at walkthrus when I am absolutely stuck. I like try different team combos, which pretty much means starting over;-( One thing I can't find, and I don't have the original manuals, just a quick tip strategy thingy....is how to "toggle" between real play(first person) and team play(turn-based play)...which I keep reading about on the original game reviews. All I get is turn-based, I think< where your team of fours portraits are across screen. Anybody can tell me if and how to switch screen views? and PS, the eggs are worth money and you prob killed their moms and dads to get them...lol but if you get them your reputation drops.
Thanks for any help you can give:)

crpgnut
October 3rd, 2008, 01:20
You press enter or space to enter turn based combat. The view doesn't change, you just can't move anymore in VI. In VII you can move a little bit in turn based, like 5 steps or something.

magerette
October 3rd, 2008, 05:58
Yep--you'll always have the four portraits across the bottom. Combat is the only thing that's affected. Enter also pauses the game, if you want to get up and bang your head against the wall or get coffee. :)

JDR13
January 5th, 2009, 04:53
Finally installed Might and Magic VI last night. I purchased the M&M Platinum Collection a few months ago after reading this thread.

My first install try was no good, game just kept crashing on startup in WinXP Pro. After finding and installing Mok's 1.3 patch, it's starting up fine now.

Graphics and sound are just as atrocious as I expected them to be, but I adjusted to them surprisingly fast. Although very rough by todays standards, I find the visuals to have a certain kind of charm. I wish they had included more than just 4 or 5 different character portraits for each gender though.

Started up a party with a Knight, Archer, Cleric, and Sorcerer. I could immediately see why this game is so addicting. Combat is a lot of fun, and feels very natural. The only complaint I have is not being able to move at all in turn-based mode. Since the enemies are usually somewhat spread out, I find myself constantly switching between TB and real time just to close the gap between my party and a couple of Goblins.

I have to be careful here, I just wanted to give the game a quick try, but now I find myself wanting to dive in full force. I have too many other unplayed games right now. :lol:

Corwin
January 5th, 2009, 06:03
Two things, you need a Druid (drop the archer); they become very powerful. Second, not being able to move was addressed in M&M7 where it is possible to make some movement during a turn series.

magerette
January 5th, 2009, 06:12
I like a magic heavy party, too, and druids are great multi-taskers, but for a first playthrough that's a pretty balanced party, JDR. Archers tend to be disappointing in the late game, though. I agree the graphics haven't aged well, and the speed of modern processors makes the action jerky and hyper, but as you say, after an hour or so, you get used to it. The little oomph of movement they added in the combat in MM7, as Corwin says, makes a big difference and you really miss it after you've played both.
Enjoy--it's addictive. :)

Foss
January 5th, 2009, 06:30
Loved that game.
Think it was my first rpg experience, but didn't get into it right away. Was first when I saw a friend in Darkmore Castle fighting liches that I became hooked.

dteowner
January 5th, 2009, 16:03
See you in a couple weeks, JDR. :D

I'll know when you're in the home stretch--I'll be able to smell the mess in your pants all the way down here when your Party of Much Kicking of the Buttocks stumble upon their first Cuisinart.

JDR13
January 5th, 2009, 16:48
Two things, you need a Druid (drop the archer); they become very powerful. .

Can Druids melee at all? I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable with just 1 fighter and 3 magic users. I was thinking of dropping the Archer and going with Knight, Paladin, Cleric, and Sorcerer. Anyone can eventually use ranged weapons anyways right?

@Everyone else, you guys are a bad influence. ;)
I'm trying to resist getting sucked into yet another lengthy quest right now. I need to at least finish Fallout 3 + a few other games first.

dteowner
January 5th, 2009, 18:50
Nuts to the druid. Corwin just has a thing for casters. Bow is an expensive skill to buy for new parties. Getting it for free on one character via an archer has more value than you might think. The free air magic also comes in handy, since it means your sorc doesn't have to burn points on air just to get a decent wizard eye spell up and running.

That said, there's not too many party builds doomed to failure and even less that are guaranteed to stomp with the greatest of ease. Take what suits you.

Welcome to Candlekeep, Mr. Nilbog. We'll see you in a few weeks.

wolfing
January 5th, 2009, 19:53
I usually create my parties (regardless of game) with:
Front row: a pure melee, a hybrid melee (pref. healer/fighter)
Second row: a pure cleric, a rogue type
Third row: a pure mage, a hybrid caster (pref. healer/mage)

If a game only lets me have 4 chars, I drop the hybrids (so it becomes the standard core group).

In the case of MM6 I don't even remember when I played it so can't help you there :)