Gothic 3 - Unofficial Community Patch v1.5

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Sergey dropped us a line to say v1.5 of the Unofficial Community Patch for Gothic 3 has been released. The changelog is extensive and too long to post but here are the highlights and head over for the full details:
  • – The river and ocean sounds
  • – Ingame time display with graphics
  • – adjusting the depth of field-effect in the options menu
  • – Quicksaves with time mark
  • – Roast meatbug meat at a campfire
  • – New random loading screens
  • – As well as a slight optimization of the memory usage
  • For all the other fixes, see the CP 1.5 Changelog
More information.

Comments, thoughs?

Anyone install the game again because of this? :lol:

Why not? G3 without CP is mediocre. Every CP makes it a dozen little bits better and removes another dozen annoyances.

I probably will. I hope the game doesn't crash on save again. It has a habit of doing that even after you install some of the patches that claim they fix that problem.

a lot of good fixes, but there's a lot of stuff in there that in my opinion would give it mod status and surely alters the game in ways pirahna didn't intend. people complain about the bloodlines patches changing too much and being more like a mod, but these do it even more so, though in respect they fix a massive amount of problems as well.

From what I understand, the community has been in constant contact with JoWood (and now Spellbound as well) over the fixes implemented in the patch. I looked at the changelog and thought that probably 99% of the fixes were necessary.

really it must have been just a dream then. for a moment i thought pirahna bytes created and developed gothics 1 thru 3;)

just loaded and patched it back up, and I have to say, all my gripes about the game when initially released are much decreased now. Feels more polished, load times are slightly better, no crashes (so far), better performance (due mostly to my better system I think), and *gasp*, no save crashes (yet). hehe, at least I'll have something mess with once I destroy The Witcher. I remember rushing through the last few hours of G3 the first time due to the bad performance and the save crash, might be enjoyable this time.

really it must have been just a dream then. for a moment i thought pirahna bytes created and developed gothics 1 thru 3;)

I guess you've been dreaming for quite a while then, because Pirahna Bytes lost\sold the rights to the Gothic series(except for Gothic 1) back in May.

so you're saying if someone looses custody of thier children and someone else adopts them (gets custody), those folks are no longer their parents?!?? if so we owe michael jackson alot of praise for all those beatle albums he made:)

Huh?

I have to admit, you lost me on that one. :lol:

So how many people here are going to give Gothic 3 another try now? I just reinstalled it myself and I'm getting ready to start a new game momentarily.

some of the most major fixes imo..
- The skill "Resistance to cold" now has the correct implementation.
- The skill "Improve robes" now has the correct implementation.
- The skill "Improve armor" now has a more clear effect
- The skill "Make excuses" is more effective - the higher the thief skill of the hero, the lower the risk to get caught.
- The effects of the skill "Manaregeneration" are reduced.
- Summoned creatures do more damage again.

JDR13: I'm one of those ppl for sure. Although I need to finish kotor 1 rerun first and Next new game I'm going to start is witcher. (going to buy it today or tomorrow me thinks :))

Last edited:
Except for "improve armour" being a bit too easy to obtain and the option to give a fire chalice to a Nordmarian I dont find anything objectionable in these community patches, and the fixes/improvements more than make up for it. Maybe its time to restart.

- Slightly improved memory-use.

I'm interested about that... anyone have any idea how they did that, and would it be possible to further optimize the game using similar methods?

I'm sure it's explained somewhere, but I don't know German, so...

It's always great with these community efforts, but unfortunately the game is not worth playing until the combat system gets a nice thorough work-over.

That's because I think there are too many good things about the game, to play it with that major issue left in, but to each his own of course.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that Dartagnan. There is much what a community can do, but revamping the whole fighting system is out of their league I'm afraid.

Fixing the combat system is well beyond the scope of modding. It wouldnt just be a matter of going back to the old system (which is pretty horrible when fighting multiple enemies) but rather a matter of inventing a completely new one.

I'm not holding my breath, believe me, but since I've heard rumors of them working together with the new Gothic team, I thought maybe they would have enough resources to work something out.

I'm sure PB has the knowledge necessary and that makes the whole thing next to impossible given their break from JoWood, but miracles have been known to happen - or have they.

If not, then that's that.

But I decided long ago that the primary problem with Gothic 3 (apart from savegame corruption and other technical stuff) is that the combat system is horrible. I just can't enjoy the game like it is, and it pains me a lot because I really loved my time with it until I finally understood just how poor the combat system really was.

Well, 2GB of ram still not enough for it to play for more then 30 mins. And I don't want to increase the Page File cause the game lags when it goes to the HD. Went to newegg instead, bought another 2 Gigs of the same ram. Man ram fell in price since spring. I bought the same two sticks for like 300ish in spring, they're 90 now with immediate $10 discount and another $35 mail in rebate. So its price is effectively 45 bucks.

I have 2GB of RAM and Gothic 3 has never crashed on me.

It seems that 1.5 is the last patch that the community is doing by themselves. The next one will be a joint effort between them and Spellbound. Maybe there's a chance that the fighting system and AI could get addressed after all.

I'm still not holding my breath either.

Back
Top Bottom