Two Worlds - Interview @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Titled http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/786/786610p1.htmlBuilding Two Worlds , IGN has an interview with US distie Topware Interactive, discussing the "bigger than Oblivion" gameworld and revealing apparently new information:
IGN: Factions seem to have an important role in Two Worlds. How many different factions are there and how does the reputation system work with the factions?

Seaman:
There are five major factions in Two Worlds, and you gain and lose reputation with them through your actions and choices. Sometimes, you'll be able to easily predict a reputation change. For example, if The Brotherhood asks you to perform a mission for them, and you do, your reputation will go up with them. But in another instance, you might be asked to steal something and only until the deed has been performed will you realize you've wronged (and lost reputation with) a certain faction.

We wanted the player to feel that they're gaining recognition for their actions, so you'll quickly make powerful friends and enemies as you play Two Worlds. As your reputation with these factions changes, you'll notice a lot of different things opening up for you. Prices at certain vendors will change, there will be different dialogue options, and new quests. There will also be some tough choices that have to be made. Basically, the higher your reputation with one faction, the more opportunity you'll have to decimate that group's enemies. The rewards may be great, but are they worth alienating yourself from a particular group? That's the kind of decision players will have to face.
It's a pretty nifty interview, so check it out.
More information.

Okay, I'm trying to be realistic about this game, but this interview just got me really excited!

No creature-scaling (unlike Oblivion) = cool
Dangerous corners of the world for a newbie character (like Gothic) = :cool:
Quirky humor (like Fable perhaps?) = cool
Different kinds of mounts with varying abilities = :cool:
Not necessary to power game (aka: stealth actually works) = :cool:
*Okay, that one is probably too much to buy into, but still...
Unusual combat skills to develop (kicking dirt in opponents face, stealing their shield, etc...) = :cool:
Interesting quests (who doesn't want to search for pixie dust?... wait, don't answer that.) = :cool:

The one big negative I see, is that in answering the question about fed-ex quests and kill so-and-so quests, the designer basically said there were lots.... not in so many words, but when he named a bunch of quests off, they all sounded like fed-ex and kill quests... :uncool:

Right or wrong, the review at 4Players has found a negative twist to more or less every point you mentioned. ;)

4Players has a strange review system, so I´ll limit the details to the one thing everybody who has played the game confirms: horse riding sucks.

Sounds very promising. I'll probably skip the whole multiplayer thing, but the single player experience actually sounds like Baldur's Gate meets Gothic (dungeons with a meaning, for example, was used a lot in both BG games). Whether it's all a hype or actually as great as it sounds remains to be seen. I'll definetly try it as soon as possible though.

Oh, and the link does indeed lead to a hellgate article, here is the proper link: http://pc.ign.com/articles/786/786852p1.html

Edit: Also, I don't understand the whole thing with horse riding. Why is everyone so hung up on having it? Honestly, I have never seen it be great in any game, I have never found it to be fun, exciting, meaningful.. nothing. Just make a decent fast travel system and ditch the horses, that's what I prefer.

Okay, I'm trying to be realistic about this game, but this interview just got me really excited!

I wouldn't get too excited about the game... I just read the test on 4players.de and it got only 78%. The review is kinda lukewarm... they talk alot about how good the game looks, but it obviously has no traps at all and hardly any puzzles. Instead you get uncountable "got and get me" quests. Sounds a bit like it's Oblivion with alot of bugs... think I'll pass on this one.

Edit: Also, I don't understand the whole thing with horse riding. Why is everyone so hung up on having it? Honestly, I have never seen it be great in any game, I have never found it to be fun, exciting, meaningful.. nothing. Just make a decent fast travel system and ditch the horses, that's what I prefer.

I don't either, but the game Mount & Blade has some very good mounted combat. You should try the free trial.

oh, and thanks for the proper link. Though I thought Dhruin could just copy the other link in the article, so I didn't write it in my post.

I wouldn't get too excited about the game... I just read the test on 4players.de and it got only 78%. The review is kinda lukewarm... they talk alot about how good the game looks, but it obviously has no traps at all and hardly any puzzles. Instead you get uncountable "got and get me" quests. Sounds a bit like it's Oblivion with alot of bugs... think I'll pass on this one.

You can't base your opinion upon one review. Take a look at Metacritic, and you'll see that games with high ratings also get low ratings by other websites.
Be calm and await some more reviews.

You can't base your opinion upon one review. Take a look at Metacritic, and you'll see that games with high ratings also get low ratings by other websites.
Be calm and await some more reviews.

Not really basing my opinion upon one review. I haven't played the game yet - so I have no opinion about the game. Just saying that 4players.de gave it a 78% - so far only a couple of users cast their vote on the site, but they even scored it somewhat lower (72%).
Well, to be truly honest with ya... the test is pretty long and the reviewer explains in detail what he likes and what not - and what he describes tells me that this isn't a game for me.

The whole Gothic series got quite a few bad reviews, despite being excellent games in my opinion, and Oblivion got super scores despite being about as exciting as a sleeping mule. There are very few review writers I still trust.

The whole Gothic series got quite a few bad reviews, despite being excellent games in my opinion, and Oblivion got super scores despite being about as exciting as a sleeping mule. There are very few review writers I still trust.
Yes, exactly Maylander.

Edit: Also, I don't understand the whole thing with horse riding.
I don't ever use it, as it takes exploration opportunities away in most cases, and as you say - it is generally crap.

The link on the news page should be working correctly, I fixed it earlier today. The older wrong link could still be in the forum copy, since I expected people to follow the newspage link. If both are wrong then we have a glitch in our system, since I tested the news link and it was working properly earlier!!

Grrrrrr.....................I've just fixed it AGAIN!! I've also tested it and it works for me!! If it happens again, I'll have to log it as a bug in our editor!!

No, in my browser (IE6) the newsbit (frontpage) still directs to the Hellgate article.

You might need to refresh, because I just checked it - the one in the thread goes to Hellgate, but from the front page it heads to the right place.

Ok, here are my first impressions, after spending about 3 hours with the game:

A better Gothic 3. A worse Oblivion.

First of all, this is a MASSIVE action RPG. Click, click, click - kill kill kill. You are attacked by mobs of 5-10 creatures. Manageable with the "easy" setting, completely unplayable with the "normal" setting. VERY dumb AI for your opponents, though. Excessive loot, you are able to buy about everything offered after the first hour. So: pretty unbalanced, if you ask me.

MASSIVE world. But the few dungeons I have seen so dar are alughable. Small, uninspired. And if you though Oblivion had small dungeons, think again. Most of the world is just decoration. Yes, seamless transitions into houses, but the houses have one or two small rooms, even if they are large. Have yet to see an upper floor in a two story building. The world itself is beautiful, but the engine isn't too pretty. Gothic 3 was more pretty, Oblivion for sure. Advantage: The engine is pretty fast. No HDR and AA even for a 8800 GTX.

Story and quests are nice, faction system - I haven't dug deep enough to tell about that. Haven't encountered bugs so far, game is rock solid. No CTD.

Some nice new ideas, like stackable weapons to upgrade them. Overall, the game has a smell of "unpolished" on it. For example, riding horses is really painful away from the roads. Control scheme - strange. Mouse is only used for looking and fighting.

Overall: way too much combat for my taste. Due to the small dungeons, there isn't the explorer feeling I love in Oblivion. Better than Gothic 3 because of the stability and the performance. But while I still think this is promising, I start to think that overall, it will not deliver.

it seems so interesting and it reminds me at gothic, I only fear the compass like I said before.
The strange thing is that you can preorder it in the game mania in belgium and they said that the game would be available next week? :s
Does anyone know something if there will be a demo released?
So excited about this one, I hope it delivers

it seems so interesting and it reminds me at gothic, I only fear the compass like I said before.
The strange thing is that you can preorder it in the game mania in belgium and they said that the game would be available next week? :s
Does anyone know something if there will be a demo released?
So excited about this one, I hope it delivers

Yes, it's actually only Germany that has received the game yet, though it was meant to be the whole of Europe at the 9th. Denmark first gets it the 29th of June so I bought the Royal Edition at a German website two days ago.

There probably won't be any demo available. Nothing is planned at least.

Thanks for the insight Rendelius. You've just confused me a lot! Lol
Half of what you said I like, and the other half I hate. does that mean I will rate this game a 50%?
So what do you think of the art and design, Rendel? Are the characters cool looking - nice armor and weapons to outfit with? Is the scenery believable? The architecture imaginative? (other than not having a second floor).

You mentioned the engine isn't "pretty." What exactly do you mean by that?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom