Venetica - Gamescom Trailer

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A new trailer of Venetica has been released at Gamescom. It shows both ingame footage as well as parts of some of the full movie videos in the game.
Thanks PrinceOfDeath for informing us.​
More information.

Nice. I wish we knew something more about the RPG part of this game though
(or at least the character build system. Is it like Gothic i.e ? even more barebones ? etc...)

It is after all very close to release, odd that we haven't seen a picture of a character
screen or something...

Oh well they do have this in their F.A.Q, to answer my own question (for anyone interested):
Venetica F.A.Q said:
How can I develop my character?

There are lots of ways to shape your character. With a huge variety of skills to choose and to enhance from as well as different weapon types (and loads of weapons to buy, steal, or loot), everyone will have their own favorites! Also, you can change the character's armor, resulting in a totally different outlook and combat abilities. Further, there are three guilds to choose from - they have totally different quests and all reveal different aspects of the background story. Also, there are Attributes Points with which you can train your physical or mental skills to your liking.

How about obtaining new skills and learning new spells in the game?

There are two skill trees filled with physical as well as mental abilities that the player can learn. When defeating enemies, solving quests or discovering secrets, the player receives experience points. When he has gained enough experience, he rises to a new level and receives learning points. These can then be used together with a specialized teacher to learn or improve specific skills. Further there are some skills that the player receives in key moments of the main story, and these are especially valuable as they deal mostly with the Twilight world, ghosts, and resurrection.

Wow, actually a heroine that isn't scantly dressed at all times;).

The game looks better and better. Are there any shots of the game with interface showing?

Dagnabbit, now I'm having a hard time deciding what I'm looking forward to the most. Venetica is now vying for the top spot with Alpha Protocol in my personal most-anticipated list:

1 - Alpha Protocol
2 - Venetica (moving up)
3 - Dragon Age
4 - Risen

(That should be enough to keep me busy until the end of 2010... and by then, I'll be able to start anticipating Age of Decadence and whatever else Iron Tower is up to. Who said PC gaming was dead again?)

Ever since I saw its E3 preview, Venetica has become my most anticipated game and I thought it had the potential to become a surprise of the year.
Venetica also seems to be the only upcoming title which holds promise for offering a somewhat new rpg experience. The rest are largely predictable variations on the same.
I really hope it delivers since it´s the only title I´m really looking forward to.

1. Venetica

2. Alpha Protocol

3. Risen

4. Dragon Age

Last edited:
Alpha Protocol and Venetica are up there precisely because they promise something that's just a little bit new and different -- we haven't had an espionage cRPG... ever, perhaps, with Deus Ex being the closest; I'm also quite interested to see if the hype about "open story" holds up, because that's a gameplay design approach that I would very much like to see pursued more. Venetica, OTOH, promises a beautiful and way underused milieu -- I don't think there's been a Renaissance cRPG ever either -- with what seems like a fresh and interesting approach to story as well.

Dragon Age and Risen, OTOH, don't really promise anything new; instead, each promises to refine their respective style of gameplay, both of which I've enjoyed a great deal in the past. (Risen would probably be above Dragon Age if I wasn't so satiated with Gothic 3 that I really don't feel like that style of game at the moment. OTOH it's been longer since I played MotB, and longer still since I played Baldur's Gate 2, so I'm thinking I'm about ready for another game in that idiom.)

The skill trees reminded me a little bit of ... wait ... kind of a muxture between Divinity 2 and King's Bounty ? Only from the look, nothing more. I didn't do much with it.

Everything is presented like kind of a book, of which the skills, quest items, trade items, armor, weapons are presented on their only pages which can be accesses like pages in a book through tabs or bookmarks.

Bah, I say what good is a heroine that isn't scantly dressed at all times!

Trailer looks great, nice to see a new IP, with high production, a very good sign. :)

Bah, I say what good is a heroine that isn't scantly dressed at all times!

I'll pass that on to the folks making a Planescape: Torment reboot, where you play as Ravel.

Yes, I made that up. Not that it wouldn't be cool, though.

A little too cartoonish and Hollywood looking for my taste, but I'll definitely keep an open ear to what you guys have to say about it, once you've played it. Hopefully there will be a demo.

This is their art style.

By the way, what I noticed is that the voice from the (same ?) German-language trailer sounds different. More mature, imho.

But I don't quite remember anymore, because I haven't watched the trailer at the dtp booth for its whole length. Only parts of it reached my brain while I was talking and/or playing there.

Don't know why, but this doesn't trigger any sort of hype reaction in me. I'll keep an eye on it, of course, but it certainly hasn't made my most wanted list.

Well, I doubt the Grim Reaper has a male daughter. ;)

They had to commit to a female character if their story is centered around deaths daughter taking over daddy's job.

Dragon Age has something similar. You can choose a lot of stuff during char creation, but only the first name can be chosen. The last name is fixed depending on race.

I kinda like this trend of having cRPG's with more "fixed" characters. It makes it possible to write beefier stories around them, and I like stories.

I agree, it worked fairly well in ME with Commander Shepard and in Gothic with the nameless hero. It was amazing in PS:T (best implementation so far). About time it saw more use to be honest, as it is possible to build significantly stronger and more immersive stories around pre-defined characters.

Of course, there are times when I am in the mood for games that allow full customization (i.e Might & Magic), so I guess it all depends on what game the developers are trying to make.

Back
Top Bottom