2 counts of vehicle homicide=house arrest?

Heronblade

Watcher
Background

Verdict

Ok, this rich git, Ryan LeVin, is down illegally drag racing his Porsche through a town in Florida. He ramps the curb and kills two British tourists. Ryan then keeps driving, and later abandons the car.

To top it all off, at the time of his arrest, LeVin already had more than 50 moving traffic violations to his name, and he was on probation in Illinois for a high-speed chase in 2006 that injured a police officer and two motorists. Furthermore, the traitorous prick attempted to sell out a friend of his, saying that his friend was driving the Porsche, and that he had nothing to do with it. The friend was indeed involved, as the other racer.

2 counts of vehicular homicide, plus 2 counts of leaving the scene of an accident causing death. The first two alone can put him in jail for up to 30 years, never mind what penalties he can come under for violating his probation in such a… spectacular fashion.

Anyone else facing charges like that could expect the judge to beat him to death with "the book". Instead Ryan's very wealthy father, owner of one of those jewelry store chains that pretend diamonds are actually rare, gives an impassioned plea for mercy, several checks are written (to the families of those he killed, don't know for sure about others), and mr playboy gets off with slightly less money than he had before, and 2 years house arrest in one of his parent's luxury oceanview condos.

Victims' widows asked for the deal. Not saying I agree with it being as light as it was, but I can see why the judge would do it.

And his dad owns a COSTUME jewelry store, not a regular jewelry store. If you are going to rant, at least rant with the right facts.

Oh, but just ask our Euro friends--all this poor, misunderstood boy needs is a kiss and a hug and a counselling session or two, and he'll be back to being a productive member of society in no time! Let's get enlightened!

Oh, but just ask our Euro friends—all this poor, misunderstood boy needs is a kiss and a hug and a counselling session or two, and he'll be back to being a productive member of society in no time! Let's get enlightened!

are you being sarcastic?

I'm European and I think the boy should be put to hard labor for a year (or community service for 5 years if that's too harsh) + several years in prison and then if he gets out on probation and does something bad again then really send him to the Gulag. I find death row abominable though. I actually think the whole prison system is flawed at the moment, but I'm in the middle of exams so I have no time to really explain...

Oh, but just ask our Euro friends—all this poor, misunderstood boy needs is a kiss and a hug and a counselling session or two, and he'll be back to being a productive member of society in no time! Let's get enlightened!
errr dte…. doesn't your country have highest documented incarceration rate in the WORLD? How about your crime statistics? With all this righteous zeal to incarcerate they must be one of the lowest in the world? Certainly lower than European ones right?

I'm all for replacing all prisons with work camps. Then let's send all speeders there.

And while we're at it, let's send the so-called management elite there, too. I'd love to see *them* work for once.

Let me as an European enlighten you that the American justice system wasn't built by hippies and hippies doesn't tend to get jobs within American courts.

Let me as an European enlighten you that the American justice system wasn't built by hippies and hippies doesn't tend to get jobs within American courts.

It was originally set up by quakers (sort of the hippies of their day with their pacifism), though I would say that a lot of 60's/70's hippies did get law degrees and sit on the bench now.

errr dte…. doesn't your country have highest documented incarceration rate in the WORLD? How about your crime statistics? With all this righteous zeal to incarcerate they must be one of the lowest in the world? Certainly lower than European ones right?
You are making assumptions without any support that our numbers would be better under a nice squishy Euro approach. You know what they say about "assume".

and hippies doesn't tend to get jobs within American courts.
Now there's a broad statement. I'm sure you can statistically back up that grand pronouncement, right? I'm curious just how you'll do that given that judges generally do not reveal their political affiliations.

Now there's a broad statement. I'm sure you can statistically back up that grand pronouncement, right? I'm curious just how you'll do that given that judges generally do not reveal their political affiliations.

I am making the assumption that the juridical system have some standards on who they hire, which includes demand for education. This means that competence play a greater factor than political affiliation in decisions taken within this case.

I am making the assumption that the juridical system have some standards on who they hire, which includes demand for education. This means that competence play a greater factor than political affiliation in decisions taken within this case.
So then, you're saying judicial makeup is driven by competence. And you're saying that our judicial leans heavily to the right. I do believe I'll call that a compliment. Thanks!

LOL! Judicial competence has an impact on nominations? Just look at some of the Reagan/Bush/Clinton/Bush/Obama nominations for political/payoff cases…

FIFY. Both parties are equally as bad in this.

LOL! Judicial competence has an impact on nominations? Just look at some of the Bush nominations for political/payoff cases…
Hey, I didn't say it. That was JemyM's evidence. ;)

"Just look at some of the Bush nominations for political/payoff cases…"

RETURNED TO IT'S ORIGINAL UNMOLESTED, UNSULLIED, AND BEATIFIC STATE.

And don't misquote me, you evil lying bastard. ;)

Back
Top Bottom