South Park - New Patch Available

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Obsidian has released a new patch for South Park: The Stick of Truth. You can find more information on the games forum. Here is the short changelog.

Patch Notes

Patch 02 is available on Steam now. It should automatically update itself after you exit the game. The patch is in testing at Ubisoft, and will become available on the consoles soon.

Fixes:

• Fixed an issue where a buddy swap during an autosave could result in an infinite loading issue with affected save files.
  • Fixed potential infinite loading issues during transitions if a buddy swap has not previously occurred.
  • Fixed an issue where the camera could potentially lock to a zoomed view in cutscenes.
  • Fixed an animation popping issue on Cartman if the player selects the Jew Class.
  • Fixed an edge case issue where the player may not gain the "Unfriend Al Gore" quest when being spammed by Al Gore Facebook messages.
  • Some minor performance improvements in Canada.
More information.

I'm not sure Canada could handle anything more than minor performance improvements.

A jab at Canada seemed appropriate, considering this is a South Park thread. :p

I'm not sure Canada could handle anything more than minor performance improvements.

A jab at Canada seemed appropriate, considering this is a South Park thread. :p

I heard there's a 8 bit Canada exploration part in the game, similar to the old Zelda games.
Can't wait to play it today :D

Fixed an animation popping issue on Cartman if the player selects the Jew Class.
That's a bug? It's South Park for god's sakes! And Cartman warns you on that class.

Played a bit yesterday. Killed a poor cow.

Damn it, didn't realise it was already out. I think I'm gonna have to buy it on Steam now. :( The general reviews seem to be positive, what are your verdicts?

I know the gameplay is probably shallow...

My verdict is, if you like South Park, you'll like the game.

My initial thoughts (means I didn't finish the game but am just about a few hours in it)…

1. Is it RPG? YES IT IS! +
2. Is it hack&slash no brainer no story diablolike crap? NO. +
3. Endless mobrespawns? YES. -
4. Puzzles? YES. +
5. Different from anything you've seen before? OF COURSE. +
6. PC game? NO, IT'S A BLOODY CONSOLE GAME WITH BADLY PORTED UI. -
7. Can kids understand any of it? NO. +
8. Writing sux? NO, IT ROCKS. +
9. Can anyone who never saw South Park, but is not easily disgusted enjoy it? YES. +
10. Is it usual buginfested Obsidian game? ALMOST NO BUGS. +

8/10
Initial score. Oh and… My final score won't go above it, can go only lower.
Why?
You can't force me to smash A and D as those are not console gamepad buttons, nor force me to select skills with Q and think it's so fun. It's not.
And if you think I'll grow to like endless respawns in a game, try to lose a bit of optimism next time.
Everything else I've seen so far is brilliant!

My initial thoughts (means I didn't finish the game but am just about a few hours in it)…

Sounds good so far!

1. Sounds good! +
2. I don't care either way, I like both genres. +
3. I can tolerate it. +
4. Cool! +
5. Cool! +
6. I like both and I have gamepad and TV hooked to my PC, so +
7. Don't care +
8. Cool! +
9. Cool! +
10. Cool! +

Only plusses for me! I will actually prefer the gamepad for this type of game. Fuck, now I have to spend 40 euro, because I know I won't be able to hold off. :( But first, episode 2 of The Walking Dead! :D

That's still a nice discount, I got it on -25% preorder also on GMG.

I'm enjoying it since I came back from my work, if this game got released last year, it would definetly be GOTY.
Not this year though… This year the competition is…
"equipped" with a proper UI port for starters.

In case someone asks, no, I still wouldn't give it higher than 8/10. On metacritic the console version probably deserves 95+% (I'm not joking), but the PC version shouldn't end above 80%. IMO.
Will elaborate that in "finished it" thread when I'm done. Tomorrow probably as the humor holds me nailed to the screen.

I'm playing it like a console game, anyway... like so many games on PC these days. It's been fun so far and it's great how the engine looks exactly like a South Park episode. Not that difficult considering the art style, I suppose. :)

On the respawn point, it really is not an issue, at least to the point I've played (haven't gone outside South Park yet). Yes elves reappear randomly when you enter screens, but you don't have to fight them, you can just walk (or run) past them, except in a few occasions where they're right outside a house and you open the door (which is fine with me, feels like an ambush).

I hate respawns with a passion, but in this game, so far, it hasn't bothered me.

You should have said that before. I've discovered it's true. Just a few froups are scripted as mandatory, for others you just run nearby and no fight needed. There is also a point in the game where streets are completely clear, no random mobs at all. :drool:

I'll probably up the number. Not just because of grinding only for grindlovers design. But because of Canada design.
While creators probably wanted to mock Canadians by saying compared to US this is what your country looks like, it actually works on many levels. I take it as compared to PC games, this is how console/phonegames feel. :evilgrin:

But will it be 8.5 or 9, still dunno. Didn't finish the game yet.
And that's why I always say I can't trust reviewers who judge the game only by the first impression, you know, those who gave Skyrim 100% on the release day without admitting to the audience how many bugs it contains including two main quest stopper ones. And how could they tell that if they played it for a few hours only.

Back
Top Bottom