Final Fantasy VII - Now Available on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Steam announces that Final Fantasy VII is now available on Steam for $11.99.

The RPG classic Final Fantasy VII is Now Available on Steam!

In Midgar, a city controlled by the mega-conglomerate Shinra Inc., the No. 1 Mako Reactor has been blown up by a rebel group, AVALANCHE. AVALANCHE was secretly formed to wage a rebellion against Shinra Inc., an organisation which is absorbing Mako energy, destroying the natural resources of the planet. Cloud, a former member of Shinra's elite combat force, SOLDIER, was involved with the bombing of the Mako Reactor.

Can Cloud and AVALANCHE protect the planet from the huge, formidable enemy, Shinra Inc.?
More information.

Final Fantasy VII is regarded as the pinnacle of the series, much as Ultima VII was to the Ultima series… Highly recommended.
I played this game 15 years ago on my PC, and while I'm not a huge fan of cutesy Japanese rpgs, this one hooked me.

If you still have a Playstation, you can pick FF7 up for as little as $188 on Amazon…
or buy it for your PC and benefit from much needed anti-aliasing for the bargain price of $12.

I don't know if I agree that FF7 was the pinnacle of the series, but it does have one hell of a cult fanbase.

Gameplay-wise, it's a very average title, and the story is somewhat convoluted. The music and atmosphere have a certain charm though. I also recall the game being somewhat darker than most jrpgs.

…while I'm not a huge fan of cutesy
I am. Fan. Of those cutesy drawings.
However…

Is FF7 a game where you actually don't see mobs on the map but they lurk and jump on you out of thin air?
I mean... I would buy it. Unless... Well...

It's a classic, although I preferred FF6. (FF3 in the US)

I still have the US original got it on Import, you mean it's worth something? Hmm (goes to check ebay)

Daniel.

FF7 is hardly the pinnacle. It seems most fans go for 9, 10, or 12, with 9 being the cutsy pure fantasy game, 10 being the teenage angst game, and 12 being the serious complicated political game. 4 and 6 get honorable mention for being brilliant of course, just too old and archaic in design to really compare to the modern titles.

That being said, I love FF7 merely for nostalgia's sake. However, playing it again reveals how poorly paced and tedious it is. Using an emulated version is so vastly superior since you can fast forward through the constant random battles.

It would have been cool if they offered built-in fast forward like the Japanese only International version of FFXII. (FFXII being the greatest FF ever, we all can agree! Just kidding on the agree part…)

Anyway…I must now state that I'm playing FFXIII finally and I'm really enjoying it, so perhaps I've lost my mind. But FFXIII is so insanely visually beautiful in native 1080p, so it at least wins the visuals award.

Final Fantasy 7 is probably the pinnacle because it was so influential and the 8th made many disappointed so they skipped the rest. To me FF9 is the pinnacle and if I would recommend any of the games for a western gamer I would probably start with FF9 and then go to FF12 (even though I personally liked FFX/FFX-2 more it's not for everyone).

I'm playing FFXIII-X2 right now. I like the concept of the time travel (revisiting locations and see what has changed). While the graphics are certainly pretty I am not really all that impressed (might be because of the old ps3).

Of all the FF's I played (7, 8, 9, X, XII, XIII-X2 I think) I liked XII the most: no random encounters and I really got into the story. I played XII before X, maybe that matters (and also the fact that I havent completed FFX, I'm stuck somewhere in the ice region IIRC).

It's a classic, although I preferred FF6. (FF3 in the US)

+1

It's a shame that so many people never played Final Fantasy prior to FF7. FF IV, V, and VI were the true classics.

The series began to get dumbed down starting with FF7. Smaller parties, and gameplay began to take a backseat to cinematics.

I still enjoyed FF7, but I could barely bring myself to finish FF8. I had high hopes for FF9 when they announced that the series was "returning to its roots", but I was disappointed by the silly Disney-like characters.

FFX was a joke. It was like watching a CGI movie with bits of gameplay scattered about. I never finished it nor any FF title since.

I'm playing FFXIII-X2 right now. I like the concept of the time travel (revisiting locations and see what has changed). While the graphics are certainly pretty I am not really all that impressed (might be because of the old ps3).

That was what Chrono Trigger did, clever stuff. :)

Daniel.

+1

It's a shame that so many people never played Final Fantasy prior to FF7. FF IV, V, and VI were the true classics.

The series began to get dumbed down starting with FF7. Smaller parties, and gameplay began to take a backseat to cinematics.

I still enjoyed FF7, but I could barely bring myself to finish FF8. I had high hopes for FF9 when they announced that the series was "returning to its roots", but I was disappointed by the silly Disney-like characters.

FFX was a joke. It was like watching a CGI movie with bits of gameplay scattered about. I never finished it nor any FF title since.

I totally agree with you and IV through VI were my most favorite of the games and I absolutely hated 10 but you should have tried XII since it is really good and has a much bigger focus on the gameplay then most of the other Final Fantasy games.

PS. If you can run PCSX2 there is an English patch for Final Fantasy XII International version which makes the text fully in English and the audio already is in English. I have been playing that and it works really well in the emulator.

PPS. I would even recommend Final Fantasy XII to people that dislike jrpgs since it isn't like any other jrpg.

PPS. I would even recommend Final Fantasy XII to people that dislike jrpgs since it isn't like any other jrpg.
I believe you haven't answered my question. If the answer was "yes", are you sure you'd really recommend such game to me?

Yes, yes it is. It is fairly infamous for that in fact, and for being hit with a random encounter every 5 steps you take. The game had a lot of positives, but that's one part of the game which could be extremely frustrating.

Is FF7 a game where you actually don't see mobs on the map but they lurk and jump on you out of thin air?
I mean… I would buy it. Unless… Well…

Really? So should it be really recommended to some cretin who's in love with stuff like Drakensang, like poor ol' me? ;)

I was always intrigued by ff as a kid, but never had the money. In 99 or 2000, I had a PlayStation and my roommate bought one of the ff games, not sure which one. He enjoyed it but had really no idea what the plot was. They only thing I remember of watching him was that the graphics were awesome (for the time), but fights took forever due to the pre rendered scenes it used on EVERY single action

Really? So should it be really recommended to some cretin who's in love with stuff like Drakensang, like poor ol' me? ;)

FFXII is different from the other titles in that there are no random battles. You can see all enemies prior to engaging or avoiding them.

FFVII is so brilliant, because the story remians extremly relevant today... it was so Before it's time... simply brilliant, yes gameplay is average at best but none plays J-RPGs for the gameplay... unless it games likes Ogre Tactics...

I don't know that being in love with Drakensang would prevent you from liking it, however given your outspoken hatred of respawning enemies, I'd think that a game like FF VII would be the exact opposite of the type of game that you like. Even people who have no issues with respawns tend to find the constant attacks the same time you walk down the same corridor in FF to be a bit much.

FFXII at least has static monsters that you can see and avoid, although they still all respawn once you come back to an area. You'd probably hate that one the least, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that you'd actually like it.

FFXII is different from the other titles in that there are no random battles. You can see all enemies prior to engaging or avoiding them.
FFXII at least has static monsters that you can see and avoid, although they still all respawn once you come back to an area. You'd probably hate that one the least, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that you'd actually like it.
Wait... If they do respawn but don't attack unless I attack them first, well... Maybe I should give that sequel a shot.

It's been awhile now since I played, but I don't think you can avoid all of them. I think the ones in the wilderness were the easiest to avoid, they might chase you and try to start a fight but you can just keep running and avoid many (but not all). I feel like dungeons were not quite so simple though, and that just avoiding monsters there was often not an option.

It's been awhile since I played though and my memory is probably a bit fuzzy. I enjoyed the game, and the battles didn't bother me as much there as in previous games. But I'm also much more tolerant of respawning. I remember being more annoyed with the change to a more real time combat system then anything.

Wait… If they do respawn but don't attack unless I attack them first, well… Maybe I should give that sequel a shot.

Back
Top Bottom