Dark Souls II - Interview @ VG 24/7

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
VG 24/7 has a new article style interview of Dark Souls II that calls the game a lesson in painfully balanced gameplay.

If you read this site often you’ll know I’m nuts about Dark Souls. I blog about it often. Like, a lot. I even got an Ornstein and Smough tattoo after completing it, but even I’ve become curious as to just how From Software is going to advance its perfect storm of mechanics and design philosophies in a way that appeases die-hard fans. I don’t envy the studio right now.

Of course, there was the power-keg of criticism that erupted as soon as co-directors Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura said Dark Souls 2 was more “understandable” than its predecessors. The fact is these guys aren’t stupid, and there’s no way this game will coddle players explicitly throughout the experience. To do that would be to scrap the superb blend of challenge, risk and gratification that forms the series’ heart.

I recently had a chat with Namco Bandai’s Takeshi Miyazoe about this very issue and I wanted to first touch upon the notion of ambiguity in the series. After all, each ‘Souls’ title has left world lore and the motivation of their cast largely to the player’s imagination, whereas other games seek to spell out the fine details in plain sight. All we know at this point of Dark Souls 2 is that the main player is cursed, so sets off into the world in search of a cure.
More information.

The game does not have to coddle players to ease the experience. Everything the game makes hard is a wiki or youtube video away from being cakewalk. I imagine there are very few who complete the game or tie together as much story as presented without dipping in to the collective wisdom of the internet.

The only thing the punitive gameplay and vague story accomplishes is locking in a large part of the fanbase to the above mechanisms. You can spend longer redying and just completely missing story arcs by just playing it in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom