Bethesda Softworks - Next Project Not Unveiling Any Time Soon

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
We all know Bethesda is working on another Fallout 4 or Scroll game, but it might be a while before we get to hear anything about it. Pete Hines has told OXM in a brief chat at E3 that the project isn't quite ready to be announced any time soon.
Hines also advised caution, despite his optimism about the project. "I get to see it and it's already really awesome, but it's probably helpful to note that anyone who thinks that what he's working on next is going to be talked about soon doesn't understand game development.

"They just announced that they're moving the whole team onto something else. Give these guys time and space, expect it never and be surprised if it's any time before then."

"Arkane, id and all of these guys, they work on really big projects that are ambitious, and it just takes them awhile to get to speed. You know how we are; we like to show what we're up to, not just put something up and there's no substance to it. It's going to be a while."
In my opinion they don't want to announce Fallout 4 because it will dilute the enthusiasm for ESO, Wolfenstein, and their other published games.
More information.

Maybe, but ever since Skyrim the games they have released were only officially announced one year before release. Admittedly the only release since Skyrim was Dishonored.

There have been cases like Prey 2. I don't know if they jumped the gun on that one or that they had to announce early to keep the trademark tied to them (you can only keep a trademark if you actively use it otherwise it becomes 'dead').

Announcing and then running into trouble like with Prey 2, or earlier with Rogue Warrior is also not optimal.

Examples from other studios' games announced early are Diablo 3 and Dragon Age, games that both were overhauled in the middle of development.

My prediction: Fallout 4 announced in okt-dec 2013, release between november 2014 and spring 2015 (I know they want to release in the Holidays but if they missed Holidays 2013, I don't think they would wait till Holidays 2014 just to release in the holiday period). Also Rockstar has proven that games that can sell 10+ million will sell in spring.

In my opinion they don't want to announce Fallout 4 because it will dilute the enthusiasm for ESO, Wolfenstein, and their other published games.
It's definetly connected to EA.
Maxis announced Sims4 next year which is supposed to be EA's next cash cow. Everything that could be it's major competition on the market but is from inside the house, and that includes FO4, won't be shown.

Hope they have something interesting up their sleeve, I'm pretty much ODed on Oblivion/Skyrim type games.

That is unlikely, since those are the games that are making millions of dollars for Bethesda :). Also, that's just what Bethesda Game Studio's does. To ask for anything else would be like asking Nintento to stop making Mario platformer games. I for one hope we don't have to wait another two years for Fallout 4!.

The why even SAY they work on something?? Why not just shut the fuck up entirely?

Childish.

They want people to get excited and discuss what they might be working on, and get anticipation up for the eventual announcement :). Another words, they want to remain relevant and in the public eye, until they have something to show. It makes sense.

They want people to get excited and discuss what they might be working on, and get anticipation up for the eventual announcement :). Another words, they want to remain relevant and in the public eye, until they have something to show. It makes sense.
Something their very good at trolling there buyers. Bethesda likes to play mind games and attempt to manipulate gamers. Works all the time for them.:)

Last edited:
Examples?
Look at the skyrim DLC and game announcements for their last three games. There is your answer. Look how it was done and then look at their answers. It's basically trolling and keeping the hype alive. As I said it works for them.

Look at the skyrim DLC and game announcements for their last three games. There is your answer. Look how it was done and then look at their answers. It's basically trolling and keeping the hype alive. As I said it works for them.

All of their DLCs ended up being as advertised, so I don't really see what you are getting at. The PS3 versions took a long time, but that probably had more to do with the unruly PS3 architecture. Those problems were all fixed and PS3 users even got discounted prices.

All of their DLCs ended up being as advertised, so I don't really see what you are getting at. The PS3 versions took a long time, but that probably had more to do with the unruly PS3 architecture. Those problems were all fixed and PS3 users even got discounted prices.
I'm not going to debate about what I said anyway.:) I can never put what I want to say in written form. Let me simplify it and say they know how to keep hype alive.

I think Couchpotato is referring to Bethesda building hype, such as their announcements for announcements.

I didn't see anywhere where he inferred whether or not they delivered on their promises.

Correct me if I'm wrong.:)

I think Couchpotato is referring to Bethesda building hype, such as their announcements for announcements.

I didn't see anywhere where he inferred whether or not they delivered on their promises.

Correct me if I'm wrong.:)
Yes that's what I meant.;) Announcements for announcements with very little info. It keeps people interested, and it works for them every time.

I'm not going to debate about what I said anyway.:) I can never put what I want to say in written form. Let me simplify it and say they know how to keep hype alive.

Maybe you're suggesting that the DLC information that tended to "leak" in the form of tidbits combed from the patches that routinely came a month before the official announcements was something they intended all along? Are you saying that the reason they didn't time the patches to coincide with the announcements was because they wanted modders to discover and post about things they found in them?

I mean I can believe that they knew modders would run into them while looking over patch changes in the editor in the course of updating the more involved mods even if they weren't specifically looking for spoilers on the DLC. If that was all how they planned it then it worked pretty brilliantly. The information gleaned from the patches hit some things spot on and in an obvious way, but was often vague enough to set off rampant speculation. The information in pre-dlc patches also always managed to make news at a wide range of gaming sites and so produced quite a bit of free publicity that way too.

Back
Top Bottom