Dragon Age 2 - News Roundup #7

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Yep, another Dragon Age 2 roundup. This one might get people riled up one way or another so if your blood pressure is high, head past and read about Drakensang or Reckoning.
Jedi_Learner sends in this one from VividGamer that claims Dragon Age 2 contains SecuROM, which hasn't been disclosed. I haven't had time to dig into our archive and check what EA had to say about DRM, so I'm taking this at face value for the moment.
Jason notes the IGN music interview with Inon Zur has an interesting comment I'd missed. Gamersmint noticed Inon Zur says he was pushed and it was "kind of a rush job". Interesting comments:
Zur: Sure thing. I’m actually really anxious for the game right now, so I can pop it in and start playing. I’m really looking forward to see it. I know there are a few bugs that still need to be fixed. Unlike other titles from Bioware, this [score] was kind of a rush job. EA really wanted to capitalize on the success of Origins, so the game was really being pushed hard to be released now. So I’d like to know if there are bugs, or if there’s anything we could patch or fix.
A general interview with David Gaider at Tor.
Laidlaw defends the reactions to DA2 at Eurogamer:
Eurogamer: I've seen scores as low as a 6/10 - what do you think when you read those?
Mike Laidlaw: Well it's hard to know exactly what's going on with scores that are really, really negative. One possible culprit could just be a change backlash, i.e. this isn't Origins and I wanted Origins 2. There may be some degree of what I would honestly say is emotional investment in the Origins story, or in the way Origins was presented which is leading to a stronger than average reaction of disappointment. That's understandable, and if anything that really is a compliment to the work on Origins. I'm not sure it's an entirely fair assessment to say all games must be like the previous game. I think we would have seen just as much negativity if we just, as I used to joke, stapled two Archdemons together and called it a super blight. It boils down to a game that challenges a fair amount of convention: it doesn't tell the usual fantasy story or present the usual fantasy combat, and in doing so it does run the risk of someone going, "Wow, this is just too different and I cannot handle it."
Should You Buy the DLC? at IGN:
If you pre-ordered Dragon Age II before January 11, 2011, you were automatically upgraded to the "Signature Edition" and will receive both the Black Emporium and Exiled Prince for free. For those who didn't, you may be wondering if it's worth your cash. In short, not really, but let's explore what you'll get for $7.
It seems EA forum bans might limit your access to your games. It's worth pointing out the original poster is being a bit disingenuous (check out his original account - I'd say the homophobic comments are the real problem) about the cause but it does seem EA can block your game access. Here's the thread and part of Stanley Woo's response:
2. EA Community bans come down from a different department and are the result of someone hitting the REPORT POST button. These bans can affect access to your game and/or DLC.
Reviews...
More information.

I've played now for several hours as a rogue. It's a bit slow starting out as you are doing a bunch of tasks around the city to make money. But the amount of negativity directed towards this game is profoundly silly.

Yes it's simplified, and it's better to turn the difficulty up to Hard (who cares?). But it's a fun game that looks really nice and is very, very well done. Voice acting and directing isn't quite as good as Mass Effect 2 (which I think has the best voice acting of any game I've ever experienced), but it's still extremely well done.

You're missing out on a good game if you pass it up, but that's your choice of course.

I haven't heard this much complaining about heavy handidness since Bioshock

Nope, this game is a major piece of shit, from the retarded copy-paste caves/dungeons, sucking dialogues to street fighter combat and unexisting story. Add ps2 like graphics, everything simplified and derpified etc

So Biowhore can kiss my ass for allowing EA to make slaves out of them

I'm going to put in some serious time on this game tomorrow (using a friend's PS3 and game because I'm not convinced it's worth buying).

There's a thing called Release Control in DA2. It installs itself and when gamers have activated their games, it'll uninstall itself again. This software, Release Control, is many by Sony DADC, the same company that makes Securom. It is, however, not Securom, but a software that makes sure that the release dates and the release times are not broken. This means that the people in the US and Asia couldn't play untill the 8th, the Europeans couldn't play untill the 10th and the British & Irish couldn't play untill the 11th of March.

That the Release Control didn't work as intended is quite another story.

the waves of reviews...

its endlesss..

I still don't get the idea of this release control at all if the EU countries are forced to play it later than US & Asia who can earlier.

Where is the sense in this delay ?

I've played now for several hours as a rogue. It's a bit slow starting out as you are doing a bunch of tasks around the city to make money. But the amount of negativity directed towards this game is profoundly silly.

Yes it's simplified, and it's better to turn the difficulty up to Hard (who cares?). But it's a fun game that looks really nice and is very, very well done. Voice acting and directing isn't quite as good as Mass Effect 2 (which I think has the best voice acting of any game I've ever experienced), but it's still extremely well done.

You're missing out on a good game if you pass it up, but that's your choice of course.

It's beyond funny, and the loudest people are the ones who have not even played it but are taking a "stand". I totally agree with your last sentance, and second it.

I think mainly EA, the publisher, wants to prevent stores in retail from breaking the street date by making sure the RC

Also, games are released in the US on Tuesday, in Europe on Fridays. I don't know why this is so, but someone mentioned that pay checks clears on Tuesday in the US, and that stores re-stock on Tuesday too. Apparently stores in Europe re-stocks on Fridays. I don't know if this is true, though.

However, Fernando Melo, a Bioware dev. did say when asked that both Bioware and EA would like to get a worldwide release date. It seems, however, that CD Project is able to get this with Witcher 2.

Eurogamer: I've seen scores as low as a 6/10 - what do you think when you read those?
Mike Laidlaw: Well it's hard to know exactly what's going on with scores that are really, really negative.

I guess this supports the "8 is the new 6" theory that people were talking about here recently. I've never considered a 6 to be "really, really negative". Seems like an exaggeration to me.

I see some things aren't going to end…

So, is that the best you can do? I tried to settle it with you, I did even reached out. But you constantly try to egg me into reacting to infantile comments. The amount of backlash is crazy, it's getting silly. It's a fact. It's also a fact the most vocal haven't even played the game, Fact.

I'm shocked at the double standards some people have with regardes to who can post in each thread…every bioware thread the first three posters are JDR, Alrik and SAGO(isn't nice to be on the same boat with him.) I'm not saying you can't have your opinions but don't be surprised when others have theirs.

So, is that the best you can do? I tried to settle it with you, I did even reached out. But you constantly try to egg me into reacting to infantile comments. .

Dude, seriously. I'm not trying to "egg" you into anything. Just commenting on what I'm seeing here. If you don't like it then don't respond.
I'm not saying you can't have your opinions

No, what you're doing is *constantly* alluding to how other people's opinions are wrong, or how everyone who doesn't like it must be lying about having played it.

Dude, seriously. I'm not trying to "egg" you into anything. Just commenting on what I'm seeing here. If you don't like it then don't respond.

No, what you're doing is constantly alluding to how other people's opinions are wrong, or how everyone who doesn't like it must be lying about having played it.

I honestly never knew you played it, guess I was wrong, how is that lying? Give it up, there is no conspiracy about me trying to undermine you, my opinion just is not the same, please accept that.

It's beyond funny, and the loudest people are the ones who have not even played it but are taking a "stand". - how is this wrong? I'm curious when quiet a few people have said they will not buy it to make a "stand". There are always two sides to a coin.

I honestly never knew you played it, guess I was wrong, how is that lying? Give it up, there is no conspiracy about me trying to undermine you, my opinion just is not the same, please accept that..

Who said I was talking about me? I'm talking about the way you're referring to people in general, especially the last few weeks. It's been annoying almost to the point of trolling. Yeah I get it, you're a Bioware fanboy, that' fine, and I don't mean that as an insult. Stop replying to every single fucking post that's negative towards DA2. You're just wasting your time.

Who said I was talking about me? I'm talking about the way you're referring to people in general, especially the last few weeks. It's pathetic almost to the point of trolling. Yeah I get it, you're a Bioware fanboy, that' fine. Stop replying to every single fucking post that's negative towards DA2. You're just wasting your time.

So, um...I can reply as long as I share your opinion....? Is that the way it works? I'm a fanboy now as well? Every thread you respond to, but share a few other posters views.....my comment was not at offensive to anyone, where as the one you just did could be considered offensive, even personal.

Last I checked I was allowed to respond to any thread I like, if you don't agree with me debate my post, please don't make it personal. My post in this thread was about the most vocal being the ones who had not even played it, if you don't agree prove me wrong instead of lashing out at me.

Have you played the full game? You are one of the most vocal, so yeah why not ask you that? Is that offensive? Do you honestly feel threatened by that? seriously?

Children, children, I'm getting sick and tired of this crap!! I'm tired of getting 5-6 complaining emails every day and sometimes twice a day. GROW UP!!!!! At least PRETEND you are adults.

DA2 simply isn´t a good game, plain and simple.
It´s a failure as a sequel to DA:O, it´s a failure as a standalone.
Good premise - botched execution, quantity > quality, etc.
Seriously rushed job indeed.

…loudest people…
You should look in the mirror sometime rune_74.

I agree completely with JDR13, you constantly allude to how everyone who doesn't share your opinion on Dragon Age II is wrong, and that anyone who doesn't like the game must be lying about having played it. And when you're called up on it, you pretend to be innocent.

Could you stop it please.

Back
Top Bottom