What is your favorite adventure game in last 5 years and why?

Nameless one

Wizzard
Recent news thread inspired this thread:).

What is your favorite modern adventure game and why?How well do they do against Games from golden era of adventures?

P&C Adventures:

Atmosphere and story: Gemini rue.Very atmospheric adventure with world inspired by blade runner.Even in my all time favorite adventure list this game would go very high.

Humor: Sam and Max mostly season 1 and 2 while I liked season 3 I think it's not as good as previous season.My favorite episode is Abe Lincoln must die.While I love the game(despite fact that I dislike episodic games) I don't think it hold well against classics like Monkey island 1-3 or Grim fandango.

Honorable mention: Machinarium.Absolutely charming game, while I like rest of Amanita's games I find none comes close to Machinarium.

Action adventures and puzzlers.

Atmosphere and story: Amnesia the dark descent.Best horror adventure imo.Game where you truly feel helpless.Although it could use bit more good puzzles.

Humor: Portal 2.This is also one of my all time favorite games, games is really funny(Cave Jonson is my favorite) and puzzles are very well designed.

Puzzles:Antichamber.Game with very little story but unconventional puzzles.If you haven't played it but you have some interest in it my advice read reviews but don't watch any videos to avoid spoilers.

I don't play many adventure games - I like these in the recent years:

L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition
Runaway: A Twist of Fate
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

- Book Of Unwritten Tales
- everything Ankh :D
- Longest Journey (great story !)
- Broken Sword

Hm, well, that's it for now.

I didn't play most of them to the end. And of those I played there were a few that I didn't like that much :

- A Vampyre Story - nice setting etc. but riddles often too much overly complex.
- Ghosts of Vooju Island - setting similar to that of Monkey Island (but a different take on it), quite interesting setting, but sometimes overly complex riddles, imho.
- Haunted (I'm currently playing that) - I found that I lack "riddle-solving training" a bit. Which is a shame. The game was released several years too late - and it shows, somehow. Mostly graphically-wise.
- Everlight - stay away from that !

I tried a few like Book Of Unwritten Tales, Runaway and Amnesia those didn't quite grab me. Broken Sword did thought.

My most memorable are Tales of Monkey Island which I really liked. Heavy Rain I also liked though it's was more like an interactive movie (Indigo Prophecy was a better game in my opinion though). Slightly older is Still Life which I also enjoyed.

I've bookmarked two games to check out. First one is Yesterday, second one is The Raven. Any thoughts on those?

Hmm great adventure games during last years? Not many to choose from, but I have to mention both syberia games:

Syberia
Syberia II

If you're into steampunk at all or love classic mystery story like in broken swords, I think this game is for you. Its part of that serious adventure game tradition. And I belive Syberia III is along the way.

I also agree with HiddenX. La noire was a great game. I hated the consolish UI, rockstar social club, poor performance, awkward controls, but I absolutely loved the film noir setting, writing and all the detective quests. It was a flawed gem indeed. Not for purists ofcouse because there are some shootouts and car drives in between detective quests. :)

Walking dead videogame could be definied as an adventure game of some sort. Obviously you need to be a fan of walking dead series to enjoy it.

I enjoyed the Lost Crown for the atmosphere, the scares, the weird characters and the striking use of black & white/colour. Looking forward to the sequel (the Last Crown, possibly due out Halloween this year).

I love adventure games. I cut my gaming teeth on adventure games and RPGs.

My favs of the past 5 years

1) Perry Rhodan - The immmortals of terra.
(German version of Doctor Who as far as media spread and longevity. The dept of the game world took me by surprise. And I was also stunned how ignorant I was of the sci fi charater- The game had some major problems but the story telling and the creative graphics won me over)

2) Hard Rain.
(Could arguably be the best game of all time 'cept for the crappy QTEs. But it was good enough to make me play till completion and I still think about the game two years later)

3) Julia.
An indie sci fi point and click. Reminiscent of Mission Critical. Not quite at that level but a very very good effort.

4) Walking Dead
The QTEs aren't as bad as heavy rain, but man oh man this is some intense gaming. Hard to say it's enjoyable but so so memorable.

As far as "My Golden Age" adventure games. That would be Grim Fandango, Sam and Max, Syberia and Mission Critical. Those games were and still are classics. I'm waiting for GOG to bring back Manny . . .. My Golden age for the easy win.

Interestingly. there are some hybrid-action adventure games that would qualify as my all time best and they are from different eras. Twinsin (s) and Venetica. Both spectacular games that to me are both classics within their formula. I think I can play either of those games, 5 years from now and still have some quality gaming to look forward to.

Last edited:
The Lost Crown might be my favorite of all time. It's just my kind of thing. I hope the sequel is still on the way.

It is completely black and white ?
Black and white photos with some bits of color - like the Sin City movie.

- Frictional Games' adventures. I think I like Amnesia more but Penumbra: The Black Plague is really close. No other game can match their atmosphere.

- LA Noire is my latest favorite. This game delivers. A proper noir story where you get to do anything you'd expect a noir hero to do. You get to investigate crimes instead of using things on other things while the pc does all the detective work for you, and the action parts are not out of place on such a story either. Every aspect of that game could take improvement but it still delivers as it is.

- The Walking Dead is a pretty popular choice. I was actually surprised by how much I liked it.

- Gemini Rue for its story, which is one of the best I've seen in a computer game.

No surprises here but I think the really interesting ones tend to stand out a lot lately. Not many 'traditional' ones either but I actually like a lot the direction the genre is taking.

2) Hard Rain.
(Could arguably be the best game of all time 'cept for the crappy QTEs. But it was good enough to make me play till completion and I still think about the game two years later)

Did you mean Heavy Rain? Also, did you ever play Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) from the same developer? I own both games, but they've been stuck in my backlog for ages.

While obviously not a traditional adventure game, I consider The Secret World close enough.

The lore is strong, the story is fantastic and the characters are superb. Many of the quests have some really challenging and creative puzzles - and the best part of the game would be the atmosphere - especially if you're into Lovecraft.

Once I heard the Siren's Song during a quest in Kingsmouth - I was sold.

While obviously not a traditional adventure game, I consider The Secret World close enough.

The lore is strong, the story is fantastic and the characters are superb. Many of the quests have some really challenging and creative puzzles - and the best part of the game would be the atmosphere - especially if you're into Lovecraft.

Once I heard the Siren's Song during a quest in Kingsmouth - I was sold.

What's the latest update on the business model for The Secret World? I heard it started initially as montly? And now it's just buy once with a cash-shop? I keep hearing good things about it, and might like to check it out.

Also, how's the gameplay? Can you solo the game, or do you need a party?

Did you mean Heavy Rain? Also, did you ever play Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) from the same developer? I own both games, but they've been stuck in my backlog for ages.

Yeah, (Heavy Rain) I even said so later in the post. I also played Indigo but the multi-player cast did work for me like it did in Heavy Rain. I played Heavy Rain about 4 feet from my 50 inch TV. (I do not have wireless remotes for my PlayStation). Playing in front of such a wide screen literally put me in the game. BTW, the game starts out slow but soon becomes gut wrenching.

My favorite one would be eXperience 112. A little known game from Lexis Numérique that was published five or maybe six years ago. In this game you do not control or play as a physical person but end up controlling a camera network aboard a large stranded cargo, where mysterious experiments were conducted and went wrong. Your goal is to help the only survivor, namely a young woman, to escape the boat and additionally find out what happened there. The gameplay is really unique and innovative.

My favorite one would be eXperience 112. A little known game from Lexis Numérique that was published five or maybe six years ago. In this game you do not control or play as a physical person but end up controlling a camera network aboard a large stranded cargo, where mysterious experiments were conducted and went wrong. Your goal is to help the only survivor, namely a young woman, to escape the boat and additionally find out what happened there. The gameplay is really unique and innovative.

It's far for being one of best I played but very unique and underrated game, that was unfortunately too slow and too long for most people.Lot of effort has been put in game amount of date that can be read by far exceeds any adventure I played.Concept was fresh and needed polish, everything could be ironed out in sequel but game did poorly on market so we will probably never see true or spiritual sequel.

What's the latest update on the business model for The Secret World? I heard it started initially as montly? And now it's just buy once with a cash-shop? I keep hearing good things about it, and might like to check it out.

Also, how's the gameplay? Can you solo the game, or do you need a party?

The business model is buy once and cash-shop. The updates function as DLC and cost money - but you get the entire base game and story for the initial purchase. I've seen it on sale for as low as 10-12 bucks - so it's a very good investment if you enjoy the experience.

You can solo everything except the dungeons - and that means the entire storyline. The gameplay is decent, even if I think the combat system is somewhat underwhelming. The best part is definitely the quests themselves - all of which are inventive and full of great dialogue and writing.

The character system is flexible and freeform, but I think there's a distinct lack of "cool" signature abilities.

Play the game for the story and quests. The rest of the game, including the standard MMO trappings - isn't all that great, in my opinion.

Last edited:
It's far for being one of best I played but very unique and underrated game, that was unfortunately too slow and too long for most people (…) we will probably never see true or spiritual sequel.
That's correct and I won't say it was the best adventure game I played either. It's just the most original and innovative I played in the last years. I must confess that I do not play that much in the genre though. The main concern I had with this game was the display mode that was at times very confusing as when you had to display more than two camera screens simultaneously ; the GUI wasn't very intuitive and helpful either. Too bad this game won't probably see any sequel though, as you say.

Back
Top Bottom