NWN2 ACT III trouble (alliances)

Neverwinter Nights 2

mute

Sentinel
Suddenly the game seems to have jumped from a medium diffulty to a impossible difficulty. I am lost to what to do.

The Windersnaven (or whatever) is done. I have gone to the mere to learn about it.

I now have either HighCliff or the Ironfist clan to choose. No matter which fight i am bound to do i loose miserable. I have an arcane archer and to tell the truth i got tired after 10 hours to allocate points so i have just clicked recommended.

I did try to talk to the luskan ambassador, but that fight was even more impossible. I have tried different configuration and read the walkthrough at gamespot (no help).

Is there any hint how to approach these fights?
The fight with the reptiels in highcliff.
The fight with firegiant king.
The fight with the luskan ambasadour.

I am so frustrated that i even tried to lower the difficultylevel... but that didn't seem to help.

Pehaps i will suffice with reading the ending and just leave this game to rot. :) (Yes i am frustrated so i hate this game currently ... )

Have you gotten good equipment for your party either from shops or from crafting? I dealt with these quests with a party consisting of melee characters (PC Paladin/DivineChamp), Khelgar and Casavir), Zhjaevee and either Elanee or Neeshka. I havent played Arcane Archer, but provided you gave your char the feats to shoot at close range it should hold up as well as a melee fighter... Controlling the healer myself to make sure that noone dropped was rather helpful, and you might also want to switch off the AI for your characters, pause frequently, and tell them who to attack. Of those you mention only the last battle gave me any problems. There was another enemy near your #2 that caused me a fair bit of headache though;)

You will find the endgame even more frustrating, not only are the enemies more difficult but the party members pathfinding seems bugged in the last few battles and the idiots cant find their way to the enemy without extreme handholding:p

EDIT: Re crafting: A mithril full plate counts as medium armour and allows a max dex bonus of +3. Pretty neat for Elanee.

Thanks for your input. My problems begun when i realized enemy #2. Since the #1 kicked my ass i hoped that i could solve it with a fragile alliance (Your enemy is my friend). Nothing up to that point had really given me any problem. Not even the beginning off ACT III.

I am level 15 currently. Wonder if i am perhaps to low. But i can't find anyplaces to grind levels. My arcane archer kick asses. I also put alot of money in my keep which is now perhaps a hindrens since i can't afford to buy stuff.

I will look in to the crafting business. To be honest, thats something i haven't done. Didn't find any need to do it. So i have tossed away alot of usefull ingrediens... i guess.

Hm, it feels like i need to get equipment i cant get or craft stuff i don't have. Seems like i might have done some really bad choices. :)

Too bad, it was really fun until up to this point.

Hm, it feels like i need to get equipment i cant get or craft stuff i don't have. Seems like i might have done some really bad choices. :)

I am not a grinder, hate games that require it, so I can tell you that, at least in my case, NWN2 and MotB didn't require any special levels. I finished both without any sort of grind, just doing the stuff. I didn't even craft too much, or buy too expensive items, just what I found around mostly. Now, Storm of Zehir, that's another story.
I don't remember the specifics of each fight. The fire giants were easy (I sided with the dragon), killing the dragon was almost impossible. As for the other fights, all I remember is that I would usually go fireball/storms heavy. My char was a rogue so those backstabs hurt a lot if I remember correctly.

Hm i guess i will do another try today and buff up with potions and really micromanage my crew. :)

I HATE it when they beat me. Tried NWN instead for awhile, but it wasn't as good as NWN2 was, and i can't start with MOTB until i finish this... (Mostly cause i think its "wrong").

Thanks for the hints!

Hm i guess i will do another try today and buff up with potions and really micromanage my crew. :)

Oh, maybe that's part of the reason, I never used the party AI for any fight. Everybody was in puppet mode always

I will look in to the crafting business. To be honest, thats something i haven't done. Didn't find any need to do it. So i have tossed away alot of usefull ingrediens... i guess.

I only crafted armours and added elemental or holy (plenty of evil enemies in the game) to some weapons. Using a purchased +3 (is this sufficient to hurt all enemies in the OC?) or +4 weapon as base should suffice, and you can save the enhancement gems for the armours. If you want to keep Khelgar as a fighter and have a ton of money there is an extremely good armour over at the clan. Money shouldnt be much of a problem at this point, the merchants at Crossroad keep will give you up to 20k for magical loot.

At any rate you might want to analyse what is lacking when you do poorly in combat.

Are you not hitting your targets? Enchantment bonus is your friend as well as bulls strength and other buffs.
Are your enemies immune (not likely)? Higher enchantment bonus and offensive magic might be your friend.
Are you taking damage too quickly? AC and/or elemental immunities (clerical spell) helps depending on the enemy. Dont forget to combine the different types of AC bonus (natural, shield, armour, and generic?). Give every melee character an amulet of natural armour, and if Khelgar is a monk he should have the best periapt of wisdom you can find. You might be able to get the ACs to 35 or more at this point.
Are you doing too little damage even though you hit? Offensive magic and elemental enchantments on weapons are your friends.

Sand is best used for enchanting stuffs (with the appropriate feats).
Defensively I'd work on the AC of the melee fighters first so they can hold their own, then the cleric, then Neeshka, and last mages or sorcerers (who should be micromanaged to stay out of the immediate heat in close battles anyway). And there's no need to have full kit for more than 4 characters or so, you wont have to swap characters around much at this stage:)

Regarding the lizard
I am getting hit with meteorstrike or something like that, and then 2-3 people dies. Then when, he dies and tranform to a ... golem i have no party left. It truly very much feel like i am so wrong in both level and gear. I don't see how this fight is possible to win. I buffed up with potions and spells and he just cut through me.

I did go with Casavir, The dwarf (iron...), The gith and Qara (or what the sorcerers name is... ). It feels like i am playing Might and Magic IV and ventured into the wrong part of the map to early.

Strangest thing that the fiends before them was mostly a yawn and i haven't had a fight like this anyware until now. (These three figths...). I am so ready to uninstall this piece of crap! :) (Yes yes - i am most frustrated and i mean nothing really).

Regarding the lizard
I am getting hit with meteorstrike or something like that, and then 2-3 people dies. Then when, he dies and tranform to a ... golem i have no party left. It truly very much feel like i am so wrong in both level and gear. I don't see how this fight is possible to win. I buffed up with potions and spells and he just cut through me.
Have you tried just running away/around so the meteor strike or whatever doesn't hit many members? Like, send the rogue ahead, with his/her improved evasion it's possible it doesn't even affect him/her (and if it does, it's like half damage)
I did go with Casavir, The dwarf (iron...), The gith and Qara (or what the sorcerers name is... ). It feels like i am playing Might and Magic IV and ventured into the wrong part of the map to early.

Strangest thing that the fiends before them was mostly a yawn and i haven't had a fight like this anyware until now. (These three figths...). I am so ready to uninstall this piece of crap! :) (Yes yes - i am most frustrated and i mean nothing really).
I know how you feel. Same thing happened to me in Storm of Zehir (last fight). I quit trying after like 30 attempts with different strategies. I didn't uninstall though, I still want to try some of the persistent servers out there that require all expansions installed

I just wonder if something has changed when you play with MOTB and all the latest patches and/or something balancing has occured. I have tried MANY different variants now. And yes, i move out all my spell casters to the edges including my arcane archer. And have only my melee character in the middle.

(I have tried with other characters to but i feel this is the best).

My trouble really begins if he is able to get the elemental spell away, then i will die.

The lizard casts a spell right before the fight, a protection spell. I tried all my spellcaster in the party just to identify it. But i can't Its an unknown spell and it seems to shield him against all but magic attacks.

This is really getting old fast right now. If anyone want a save game ... :)

Time to hope over the official board and search for clues.

I just wonder if something has changed when you play with MOTB and all the latest patches and/or something balancing has occured. I have tried MANY different variants now. And yes, i move out all my spell casters to the edges including my arcane archer. And have only my melee character in the middle.

Nope, I only installed each expansion once I finished the predecessor.

Back
Top Bottom