Gothic 2 Gothic 2 gold problems

hypo666

Traveler
I bought gothic universe and am playing gothic2.Have to say Iam really enjoying it. The only problem is the amount of random crashes Iam having.It's like the game completely freezes, when walking, running, opening chests.

It is fully patched. Iam running windows vista and my graphics card is, a geforce 9600 gt. I have tried running it in compatibility mode with xp and checked a few options that I read on a forum where someone had a similar problem. I tried posting on the gothic forums but have had no replies.

So Iam stuck. If anyone can help that would be great, I have bought baldurs gate, ice wind dale, divine divinity. No problems to this extent. It is not totally unplayble but really annoying ,because it completely freezes including the mouse and I have to restart the compute with task manager.

It's really hard to say what causes the crashes. I guess it won't help you to hear that generally speaking the game should be relatively stable.

Please check which sound option G2 uses. AFAIR the most stable choice was Miles Fast.

Yes, I have the same problem every now and then. I'm on an XP machine. I had a lot of freezes playing Gothic 1 as well BTW, so I've gotten used to saving after the tiniest action. (As for freezing Gothic 1 was really bad compared to Gothic 2.)

What I do, in case of a freeze, and which works 9 out of 10 times: Ctrl-Alt_Del to get Windows Task Manager with 'Processes' as the current Tab. With the up and down arrow keys I look for Gothic 2. exe. Then I hit the TAB key twice, then I hit E (=End process).

After that Gothic 2 stops running, my desktop is visible and I am in full control of my pc again. I restart Gothic 2 immediately and load my last save. On with the fun.

The only time it doesn't work is when the pc doesn't respond to my keyboard.

Since you're able to get the task manager, I presume you could try the above.

HTH,
Omega.

Yes, I have the same problem every now and then. I'm on an XP machine. I had a lot of freezes playing Gothic 1 as well BTW, so I've gotten used to saving after the tiniest action. (As for freezing Gothic 1 was really bad compared to Gothic 2.)

Is this with the 32 or 64 bit version of XP? I've never had a single freeze playing Gothic 1 or 2 on XP (32 bit). What sound/video setup do you have?

Hi JDR13!

Spec of my system: Quad CPU, Q6700, NVDIA GeForce 9800 GTX, 4 Gig of memory, 32 bit XP.

Gothic 2 is quite playable, Gothic 1 though was really testing my patience. During the last chapters it could freeze every ten minutes or so, after which I had to restart my system. Two parts were simple unplayable, whenever I entered the area the game/my pc stalled, so I skipped those. Because I liked the game itself so much I played on, but when finished I declared: 'Never again'. Pity though.

I did a search when I first encountered the problem, to see whether there was an easy, quick solution. I found others complaining about the stalls, I learned that it could have something to do with sound/graphics, but didn't investigate it any further because I remembered my ordeal with Risen all too well (I didn't get info in the Risen Journal, I changed several things, incl. reinstatement of a recent image without noticing I had been working on something, so hours of work down the drain and vital information lost).

Risen turned out to have a fast, clean solution, but I didn't find something similar to avoid the freezes in Gothic.

Doesn't matter, the task manager does a fine job - practically it means a break of 2 minutes or so - and like I said, my probs with Gothic 2 are nothing compared to Gothic 1.
IIRC the freezes of Gothic 1 had something to do with the patches. So I guess that could be the same with Gothic 2.

I'm in chapter 3 BTW, Gothic 2 NoTR (patched). Playing as a paladin (never played a Gothic as a paladin). Don't like the outfit very much, I can't see the back of his head. :)
Anyway, I still consider G2 (with or without NoTR) best game ever. Runner-'up: Gothic 1. :)
3. Drakensang
4. Risen
5. Witcher
Somewehere in the rear: Gothic 3 (played that one several years ago, I won't replay it now that I have Gothic Universe.)

Edit: sound: Realtek HD

Last edited:
hi Omega,

perhaps there is a roblem with multiple cores? I know that some older games tend to crash when you use multiple CPUs. Thief for example isn't even runable. Perhaps you should try switching of all CPUs except one. Just a guess.

Hi Grandor Dragon!

All my spare time goes to tax declarations at the moment but when I'll continue my game I'll try that great (and easy!) idea of yours. :)

Thanks!

Update. As for Gothic 2: I have tried to switch off 3 CPUs via the task manager (processes> set affinity). It seems I can only access the task manager during freezes, but when Gothic 2 is running OK, and Ctrl-Alt-Del is pushed, the task manager appears for a split sec and then immediately disappears again before I'm able to switch off anything.

Anyway, I went through the portal and I'm investigating the ruins at the moment. Loving it very much. Didn't experience many freezes lately (knock on wood).

Sounds good. Is it your first time through G2? If so, it'll be quite challenging with NotR installed (one of the most challenging RPGs I've played), but it feels great to actually finish it. Also, the world itself is very well made.

Hi Maylander!

No, it's not my first G2 - it's my first G2 with NotR though. :) I've always considered G2 the best RPG ever (played it 3/4 times) but NotR is absolutely yummy. I love everything, the quests, the monsters, the landscape, etc. I'm now in that temple searching for Raven, and I'm already looking forward to playing G2 with NotR again. G2 NotR maniacal! ;)

Hi guys.. I'm sorry for my elementary-not-very-well-english.
I had the same problem. The game had frozen.. then Ctrl-Alt-Del.. or power button in a really bad case)).. then the same shit over and over again...
I use nVidia GeForce7600GT and in my case helped an old video driver(downgrade). So now i've been playing for hour.. maybe two - time goes so fast there))) and G2 is fine.. Oh Lord, let it be. Amen)

Back
Top Bottom