DraSa: Phileasson's Secret - Poor GameStar Review

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Some details. The new city offers nothing except nice textures in an ancient egyptian style. The city consists of very few locations, has no sidequests, and one trader who has nothing interesting to offer.

The plot is described as confusing. Most of the game consists of repetitive combat., the new enemies do not feel inspired.

Music and voice acting are described as very satisfying.

This sounds very bad, and if the review trurns out to be accurate, this would mean that Radon Labs' problems very likely had a severe impact on the project. The sad thing is that Philaesson's Secret is probably the last real Drakensang RPG. Who knows what Bigpoint will do with the franchise.

As I understand the reviews it would be okay as a 10 EUR DLC.

Sounds like Radon Labs had to more or less cancel the project.

The plot is described as confusing.

This is because the reviewers don't know too much about Aventurian history, I assume.

I'll buy it anyway, but unfortunately I can't afford it right now.

Yes, I'm reading the forum.

But I want the story to be finished, no matter what.

To me as an author, there's nothing or at least few worse than an unfinished story/ending.

The whole German DSA P&P scene seems to fall apart. An editor at Ulisses was fired, 4 others left because they don't like the business path pursued by the publisher, Alveran stops reporting news.

Sounds like Radon Labs had to more or less cancel the project.
I don't like to say it but it sure looks like Radon Labs did not get to finish this addon. It reeks of being rushed out the door as soon as Radon Labs got in financial troubles.
This is because the reviewers don't know too much about Aventurian history, I assume.
Knowing about Aventurian history does not help as Phileassons Secret disregards plenty of it and the entire plot is based on a retcon. So even if you know, you'll still be confused. It also completely gets Phileasson wrong (e.g. Phileasson talks like a Middenrealmian noble and not like a Thorwalian. In the P&P game Phileasson is notorious for breaking propper etiquette due to this).
The whole German DSA P&P scene seems to fall apart.
No just some fanboys crying.
An editor at Ulisses was fired,
No, the guy was a freelancer who was informed that the publisher is not going to have him work on the game anymore, due to the fulltime editors requesting it. Even though the reason for this was not made public, it sounds like creative differences.
4 others left, because they don't like the business path pursued by the publisher
No 2 other freelance editors and 2 freelance authors left because they are close friends of the above ex-freelance-editor.
Alveran stops reporting news
Thats because Alveran is, and has always been run by the above ex-freelance-editor.

shit - I already bought it :(

Same here. But I don't really care. Firstly, I think I just want to play this to complete the Drakensang series and secondly even if it sucks really, really bad, well, then I'll just consider my EUR 21.98 as a good-bye gift to Radon Labs for bringing us two awesome DSA games :) .

@Noctrun : A retcon ? well, there *are* a few things deeply buried within Wiki Aventurica ... For example this item was long there before the Add-On was even thought of : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/index.php?title=Kazak Only that this entry is commonly not very much known.

But since I've not played the game yet, I of course can't say too much abouut it.

@Gorath: Noctrun is basically right about that Alveran stuff. As far as I can see it.
It isn't pretty nevertheless.

and secondly even if it sucks really, really bad, well, then I'll just consider my EUR 21.98 as a good-bye gift to Radon Labs for bringing us two awesome DSA games :) .

That's also the way I'm thinking.

@Noctrun : A retcon ? well, there *are* a few things deeply buried within Wiki Aventurica … For example this item was long there before the Add-On was even thought of : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/index.php?title=Kazak Only that this entry is commonly not very much known.

But since I've not played the game yet, I of course can't say too much abouut it.
Well, I know about it from the old Phileasson P&P campaign and it is a retcon:
The entire plot of Tie'Shianna and Kazak being around in the year 1009 BF is a retcon, as Tie'Shianna is burried under the sand of the Khom desert at this point in time. Phileasson has been there as one of the assignments during his competition with Beorn the Blinder. Tie'Shianna can't be in a another dimension (Globule) where time passes slower than in Aventuria as the events are well known in elven legend for over 3000 years.

Okay … thanks.

I already knew there would be a "Globule", but never having read the Campaign, I had to deduce several things from out of discussions, other publications etc. …

Back
Top Bottom