Avadon 2: The Corruption Trailer

GamesInquirer

Seeker
Spiderweb Software is a small independent studio with a long history in role-playing games, which contrary to many larger companies they continue developing with the intent to offer depth in every aspect, presented in an isometric viewpoint and with traditional yet quite often just as inventive turn and party based combat systems.

The first Avadon was released in 2011 and became one of its biggest success stories so a sequel was inevitable yet welcome, at least by genre fans who can overlook outdated graphics and recycled assets, a practice used to speed up development and significantly lower its costs. I'll now let you enjoy the first trailer of Avadon 2: The Corruption which should be released within the next few months for Windows, Mac and iOS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOKNsPORe3M&feature=player_embedded

Looks like a Jeff Vogel game :)

I hope for more C&C and factions like in Geneforge.

Avadon 1 was weaker in these CRPG elements.

More Spiderweb games is never a bad thing. I have more fun with these than I do with 90% of the bigger name products, so I'll really be looking forward to Avadon Two.

-Carn

I should go back and finish the first Avadon already, I don't know why I stopped playing since it was quite enjoyable and I should be near the end of it, although it was a little on the lightweight side kind of like Spiderweb's own Icewind Dale compared to their previous Baldurs Gates, though possibly a bit less combat heavy than that.

I like that they kept the party movement as it was in Avadon 1, I didn't like how it was done in Escape from the Pit with walking in a single file in more abrupt tile motion.

He needs to figure out a way to better show off the game's writing and setting in this trailer. Combat music playing against 1995 sprite graphics is hardly going to intrigue any newcomers to his titles :)

Having said that, I'll be picking it up.

Does anyone know if he has a new blog? It seems the bottom feeder hasn't been updated since october last year. Alway enjoyed reading his stuff.

He needs to figure out a way to better show off the game's writing and setting in this trailer. Combat music playing against 1995 sprite graphics is hardly going to intrigue any newcomers to his titles :)

Having said that, I'll be picking it up.

Isn't it the same trailer he has made for the past 10 years? ;)

I have to admit that I only played Avadon so far, but while I enjoyed it somewhat, I also found it quite linear and the endgame was a bit of a letdown. Because of that I'm now a bit reluctant to play his older games in my backlog (the older I get, the more precious my time is to me ;) ).

There are relatively few truly non linear games (that are also great) so you've probably played most of them already, you might as well try some linear ones as well (though as noted Avadon is by far the most simplistic of the Spiderweb games).

I have to admit that I only played Avadon so far, but while I enjoyed it somewhat, I also found it quite linear and the endgame was a bit of a letdown. Because of that I'm now a bit reluctant to play his older games in my backlog (the older I get, the more precious my time is to me ;) ).

Yep, also found it too linear and didn't like the ending as well. However! Avernum has none of these flaws. Avernum even has 3 "Endgame goals" each with 2 differnt endings I think, it's completely open world and awesome overall. The only thing Avadon1 did better was the story imho (excluding the ending).

I know that Avadon2 will be quite linear as well, but I am pretty sure I'll enjoy it anyways.

Maybe the next game Jeff makes, he upgrades his game engine a bit. Got to get some mileage from all that sweet moolah he got from the Humble Bundle. You know, $182k is nothing to sneeze at and ought to buy at least, er, I dunno, one extra monster sprite. Two if we're lucky. ;) (Source: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2013/07/18/spiderweb-software-humble-weekly-bundle-generates-over-182k)

Sadly, I'm not really interested in Jeff's games anymore. Avadon just went to polar opposite where I wanted him to go. So, thanks for the Geneforge series (and early Avernums), Jeff, take care!

Last edited:
I was pretty happy with Avadon 1. There is no question that it had it's flaws, but it was actually a new title with new-ish mechanics which I was thrilled to see. After playing through the exact same geneforge game 5 times (in Geneforge 1-5) and 3 separate iterations of Avernum/Exile 1, it was great to see something new.

Plus I figure I'd better enjoy it while I can because I have the horrible feeling that I will be playing Avernum/Exile 2 for the third time after this.

I have bought most of the Spiderweb RPGs over the years. I still prefer the Exile 2,3 and Blades of Exile games over the Avernums (and the recent Avernum remake "Escape for the Pit") but the Avernums had enough good things that they were still better than 80% of what was released as CRPGs by other companies. The Geneforges were fun for the most part even if I hate the 'Pokemon' aspect to some degree. I bought and keep trying to play Avadon but it just does not do anything for me. I get massively excited about starting up a new Blades of Exile scenario or Exile 3 game but I start up Avadon and it just feels like something I have to force myself to try to play and once I get going I just fall asleep at the wheel.

I really wish he would try his hand at a bit more complex character system...I want a bit of depth. The graphics can be improved but they do the job. It seems he would rather spend the time ensuring he gets something out that generates money instead of innovating. Makes sense if you want to stay in business I guess.

Back
Top Bottom