RPG Codex - Dark Sun: Shattered Lands Retrospective

Dhruin

SasqWatch
For such a classic, I can't recall ever seeing a retrospective of Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, so it's nice that RPG Codex rectified that. Here's an early quote on the setting:
The world of Dark Sun is called Athas. It’s a desert world where the conditions are harsh, water is scarce, resources like metal are almost depleted and only the fittest, strongest and smartest can survive. That’s the reason there is no level-less commoner class in the Dark Sun setting, odds are even your cleaning lady is a level 3 fighter with a strength of 18/00. You’re already something special if you can survive in this environment at all, as the weak have long been weeded out. It’s basically the D&D version of a post-apocalyptic wasteland, except the apocalypse has never really stopped. Due to the depleted resources most weapons and armor are crafted from bones, stone, obsidian, wood, and leather, which makes metal weapons/armor, let alone enchanted weaponry, very, very rare.
More information.

I loved this game. I'm surprised that a cesspool like the Codex would actually be able to form a coherent opinion about a classic like this.

I guess wonders never cease.

Not the "C" debate again. And who says they do? They don't write their articles collectively any more than we do...

One of the true cRPG classics, probably almost in my top 10. Many completely optional and hidden areas that quite a few people I know actually missed. Superior to the sequel in many regards.

The Dark Sun games were amazing. Extremely buggy, but a joy to behold.

I replayed Dark Sun 1 & 2 a couple of years ago, and with the latest patches they are very playable.

Dark Sun + Wasteland = Fallout

I loved those games - especially the tactical combat system.

However, I seem to recall them being incredibly glitchy and somewhat unstable. Maybe it was because I played unpatched pirated versions at the time ;)

Darksun was one of the few P&P RPGs I played. I loved the computer games almost as much the the P&P game. Everything about the Darksun universe was great.

I would love to see this setting done again in a computer game. I don't believe it'll happen, but still would love to see it.

Hasn't the Darksun setting been revived in 4th ed. ?
So, maybe there will be another cRPG, most likely a shitty MMO.

Since oldmanpaco has >2000 posts at the Codex and a handful here, I'm going to assume his post was friendly sarcasm.

Since I have >1000 posts myself, I should maybe have noticed. But its been a while. On the other hand I know some people here that would happily jump at the opportunity anyway :S

*Sigh*.. Darksun was the only AD&D setting I actually felt showed a little imagination (ok, Planescape and Spelljammer were also pretty unqiue but I liked Darksun the best).

I haven't touched a pen and paper game in over 15+ years but would happily sit down at a Darksun campaign tomorrow if offered. Darksun, Paranoia, Rifts, Tales from the Floating Vagabond, early Shadowrun (before they ruined deckers with wifi) and Cyberpunk were some of the best p&p titles I ever played.

I'd kill for a solidly imagined new Darksun PC title where combat wasn't the sum emphasis of the adventure.

Never played it. I think I came too late to gaming.

I remember having a bit of nerdgasm when I saw I could roll a half-giant (and have like 20+ STR, oh my!)

Darksun was a cool setting (actually, a hot and dry one) but it was horribly broken from a gaming point of view especially if there were munchkins in a group. The PC game was excellent, though, and one of my all time favorites.

I loved this game. I'm surprised that a cesspool like the Codex would actually be able to form a coherent opinion about a classic like this.

I guess wonders never cease.

Its definately a classic. Your retarded comment on the codex, is a pretty stupid troll to say... and i fell for it... geez

Darksun was a flipping awesome setting, it'd be great to see a modern game that used it.

Are the old ones available on GOG?

No, neither one is on GOG, yet.

Btw, the retrospective is a good read. It brought back a lot of memories for me and should be a nice intro for people who haven't played it. It contains a lot of spoilers that you can easily skip past if you've never played it before.

Bah, would probably pick that up.

I reckon GOG should make a point of contacting some of the review writers for major sites and seeing if anyone's interested in doing a retrospective to come out just before any new launch.

Back
Top Bottom