GF 400 - The way its meant to be delayed

That's the Fermi right?
This could be catastrophic for nVidia,since September they have been living of their name and the new series will have to be mind-blowing to make up for the last two quarters.

I wouldnt take granted anything what charlie says in semiaccurate. The man is known nvidia hater and has been caught lying in the past.

Personally Im not buying any card right since I dont see the need for dx11 and my current gtx280 can handle anything. But if I had to update I would try to wait till nvidia release even if Id buy ATI just to get som pricecuts.

The card will eventually come out. All the nvidiots will sell their arms and legs, and pawn off their sisters, just to get it. Performance will make us shit bricks.
No doubt the card will be a great performer. Late arrival though, but nvidia has clout in the market. Price wise, some initial optimistic estimates, but no doubt it will be pricey when it hits the streets.
As for if AMD should be scared, I say no. They got a comfortable lead. Even if The Fermi rapes all the current ATI offerings (which it probably will except for the more speedy parts) all AMD has to do is start slashing prices, and they will still be ahead. If The Fermi ends up a flop, AMD can keep its inflated prices and enjoy a semi monopoly.
Second generation Fermis should be interesting though, which is what everyone holding out should wait for. Of course, waiting is for losers in this market, so just get whatever is more affordable in your targeted performance bracket.

Worse still, the card's performance is not that exciting at all and we won't see a Radeon HD 5000 series killer…

Depends what you mean by "killer". It's not going to blow the Radeon out of the water, but I think it will definitely be faster.

Performance is all speculation, so everyone is very much full of shit. Nvidia is bound to have driver problems initially as well (this always happens with new cards from any vendor). The 26th is most likely to be a paper launch of sorts, but if we're lucky we get some of the cards by April-June.
Nvidia can go suck a big one for all I care, but they need to come out with a contender soon. I'm thinking of skipping this gen. altogether and just wait for the next spin of AMD cards and whatever nvidia has by then. The market should look prettier by then.

Last edited:
They skipped GF 300 ?

The 3xx series are rebranded 2xx chips. That series will mostly be mobile parts.

Ah.

I have planned to do an upgrade this summer, primarily for DX11 and more graphics memory. I currently have 2x8800GTX that runs almost everything smooth at 2048x1536 so I don't really need it beyond that.

DX11 is just going to be another flop like DX10. Best wait for the next console refresh; that is when it will be worth to upgrade a card because of the API. Right now if you're hunting for a new card it should be because it's faster and your current games demand the extra speed. If your current setup is doing fine then no reason to upgrade. To upgrade solely for DX11 at this point is just silly.

Indeed, DX11 is always going to be "an extra option" until the next console generation comes (in about 3-5 years).

I'd normally say that consoles suck, but meh, the current situation lets pc users use their systems for longer :p

Consoles is what made it possible to have a PC for several years without upgrading graphiccards. The only two games my rig failed to run in highest setting was Crysis (much thanks to lack of SLI support) and Grand Theft Auto IV (that want's a lot more graphics memory to run properly than I have, yet again no SLI support).

I have another reason to upgrade though and that's power consumption. New cards tend to consume less power and be more silent.

Not generally. If you look at AMD's offerings, all the top end cards use hell of a lot (well, not that much, but still) more than the previous generation. Sure, idle power is way down, but load power consumption is what counts. Right now the only one remotely near in load power consumption and heat to the previous generation top cards is the hd5770, which is still capable of running hotter (and honestly, is a poor performer and not worth it).
Next-gen cards will always be more power hungry (exceptions are there though). More efficient in terms of performance vs. power used, but for the most part they won't run any cooler or any greener.
The only way I see this working is if you go from a high end card to a next-gen mid range card. That way you'll most likely have similar performance (maybe a bit more) and be using a lot less power, but that there won't really be an upgrade but more like a step sideways.

Paper launch most likely. The cards won't be in retail until much latter I presume. At least we can have some numbers.

If it's like previous launches, online retailers will have them far sooner than normal retail stores. I expect places like Newegg or ZipZoomFly to have them around that launch date.

Performance and price be damned! Over at the Dwarf Fortress forums, the guy managing the OpenGL interface said
ATI cards are horrible at opengl, sorry; you should get nvidia if you want to play opengl games.
It's all about rendering the 2-D dwarfies. What else could possibly matter in choosing a video card?

I'm willing to bet they'll be overpriced* and overhyped*.

*Nvidia®©™

I don't think there's any doubt that they will be overpriced, especially at launch.

I still prefer nVidia over ATI in general though. I've had a lot less problems with nVidia cards, and their driver releases have been far more consistent.

Performance and price be damned! Over at the Dwarf Fortress forums, the guy managing the OpenGL interface said

It's all about rendering the 2-D dwarfies. What else could possibly matter in choosing a video card?

I don't know. ATI cards have pretty good OpenGL performance for me. Fglrx works adequately over here. Maybe OpenGL drivers are shit under Windows, but I don't see how that's possible given that both driver sets share most of their 3D code across the operating systems.

Back
Top Bottom