Game of Thrones - Trailer, Unreal Powered

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Cyanide and Focus have released the first trailer for A Game of Thrones, offering a collage with around two minutes of gameplay. They have also revealed the game is built using Unreal Engine 3. From Eurogamer:
You play as Mors, sworn brother of the Night's Watch, and Alester, a Red Priest in search of redemption. The pair adventure in familiar parts of Westeros, such as the Wall and King's Landing. You get to meet Queen Cersei, Varys the Spider and Jeor Mormont, the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Expect 30 hours of gameplay.
At the beginning of the game you choose the class of your characters and determine their fighting style. As with all good RPGs there's equipment to loot, weapons to find and experience to gain. You can slow down time during combat.
Thanks, Frozen Fireball!
More information.

From that description it sounds like yet another action "rpg"/fighting game, but I have to say the visuals of the wall impressed me. Pretty much how I envisioned it reading the book.

I do wish Martin would spend more time focusing on his series, which is sort of circling the bowl these days, instead of worrying about video games and HBO.

The trailer looks very bad IMO.

I'm not talking about the dated graphics, but the editing of the trailer, the choices made as to which shots to include etc.

It lacks any sort of narrative hook and the title cards were repetitive and uninspired. There does not seem to be any coherent message. The trailer feels rushed - it's almost as if they had X, Y and Z areas of the game completed and someone said "just put together a montage of whatever you have"

I'm beginning to question Cyanide's capacity to properly bring this title to market. Might have been a better idea to simply release a brief teaser with a better hook if they didn't have what they needed for a proper trailer at this point.

Despite all of this, I'm such a ASOIAF-nerd that unless it turns out to be one of the most terrible games ever made it will probably end up being a day one purchase for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom