Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition - iPad Review @ IGN

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
IGN has now also reviewed the iPad version of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, where the intro sums the review up nicely.
I want to love Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for the iPad. Really, I do. And in its first few moments, as I created a new character and assigned my stat points with its responsive touch controls, I dared to believe that my few concerns with the PC version last month would translate into success with this portable version of the 14-year-old classic. This, I felt then, was how Baldur's Gate should be played. And yet it insists on breaking my heart. Deep down, this remains the exciting RPG that inspired later favorites such as Dragon Age: Origins and Neverwinter Nights, but its iPad incarnation suffers from wonky controls that make the simplest actions a chore.
More information.

I, who'd played through both the original and last month's PC release, couldn't even get through the first door without several finger taps in an attempt to find the "right" trigger spot. I was to relive this moment with doors and stairwells throughout the rest of the entire game.

The inventory system's even worse. Holding down your finger on an item in the cumbersome inventory screen acts like a right click with a mouse if you want information for an icon, but even with practice, you'll sometimes end up accidentally using potions you only wanted to look at.

Still manages a 6 rating.

Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

Its interesting what tanks an experience for people. For me those were minor annoyances along the road to a satisfying experience unparalleled for iOs.

Back
Top Bottom