Might & Magic X - The End of a Chapter

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Limbic Entertainment has posted the final update for Might & Magic X, and it's not good news. They announce the game will not be supported anymore.

MMX, The End of a Chapter.

We’ve gone through a great deal together over the past year: the surprise announcement of "Might & Magic X – Legacy" at Pax East in March 2013; the subsequent launch of the OpenDev blog; the Early Access release; and finally, the official launch in January 2014.

Thanks to you and your support, we achieved way more than we could have done alone. Therefore, the team would like to truly thank you, and use this as an opportunity to look back on everything we came through together.

First of all, thank you for your contributions! The OpenDev blog now contains more than 150 articles, 4000 comments and 6000 vote ballots!
And we hope we managed to share our passion for Might & Magic and this project through this blog. It was particularly close to our hearts. We enjoyed sharing by posting articles on game mechanics, gameplay features, level design and more, but also by experiencing exciting moments with you on devchats or in twitch sessions.

We have to admit that it’s not always easy to unveil lots of information on a project that is still in the making. We learned a lot during the Open Dev phase, and we will put that knowledge to good use in our future projects.

Secondly, thank you for your passion. Indeed, twelve years after the release of the last installment we took a gamble with this “Old School” project, but we quickly realized that you were standing right behind us, encouraging us, and sharing your expectations and apprehensions.

This website was a unique opportunity for us. We had the chance to present you additional information about the game, and we were delighted to see that you were interested in what we were doing and wanted to know more…

Finally, we wanted to thank you for your help. Indeed, the feedback we received during the OpenDev and Early Access phases really helped us to identify our priorities, reinforce our motivation, and above all, improve the game. Moreover, many of you supported us with pre-orders and by recommending MMX to friends & other communities.

However, even the best things come to an end eventually… Today we announce the end of the Might & Magic X – Legacy project. Indeed, the development team is now switching to exciting new projects. It’s painful for all of us to say goodbye to MMX, but rest assured you will hear about Might & Magic again soon.

No further updates are planned for the game or the website but we will continue to monitor the OpenDev blog and the forums, so you can be sure we’re still reading your comments! Indeed, today we would like to leave you the virtual keys so you can record all the amazing things you achieved. If you would like to share any information about the game, unofficial patches, workarounds, mods etc. please let us know in the comments.

The quest for the Agyn Peninsula is now over, companions. We shared great moments and achievements; and it was a real honor to fight by your side. We are leaving Karthal, our hearts full of pride from this successful mission to prevent the return of darkness. Until next time, adventurers--our journey in the world of Ashan is not yet over.
More information.

I wonder how well the game sold. :thinking:

I'm guessing not enough to fund more DLC, or any expansions. Tis a sad day indeed.:disappointed:

It seems to indicate that there might be a sequel though?
Yes it does but MMX could still use a few more patches. So this news doesn't inspire me to invest, or buy their next game either. Well time will tell as they say.:-/

I will buy MM XI if Limbic are the devs again - MM X is a good game.

Think you are reading too much into this. Expansions/DLC have a very limited market (a subset of purchasers of the original game) and unless the game sells oodles of copies it simply isn't worth the effort - that is not to say the main game wasn't profitable. I much prefer a standalone sequel.

Is there something in particular that needs patching? I thought it was pretty stable.

Just read the various forums and you will see what I'm talking about. Also I'm not calling the game a lemon just pointing out it still has unfixed problems.

The memory leek that causes slowdowns and a few other technical problems are still present. Sure you can finish the game but it's unprofessional to leave them unfixed.

As for reading into the expansion/Dlc maybe I am, but the developer promised there would be more. Anyway all I see here is Ubisoft pulled the plug.

Anyway here are two official bug-lists from the game forum.

Link -http://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/558746088958634313/
Link- http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/826242-BUGLIST-Please-report-bugs-here

Imho this is good news. The bugs I had were already fixed weeks after release and due to bad balancing towards the end of the game it hardly made sense to go down the DLC path. I mean DLCs are only for the people who finished the game anyways, don't know how big this number was. But in this case it just didn't make too much sense even for the people who finished the game to buy the DLC. You already maxed out your characters in the base game. New content would either be not beatable or a sightseeing tour, due to balancing at the ending of the game.

For me this is good news as it sounds like they are continuing doing stuff with the Might and Magic IP. So I am looking forward to seeing a M&M XI

This happens to every game. The only difference is they're honest and open enough to actually let people know about it, instead of leaving people in the dark (is another patch coming? Are they working on this at all? Etc).

I've stayed away from M&M X up till now due to hearing about bugs and balancing issues. I was hoping they would patch the game further but I guess that isn't going to happen.

I'll still purchase it eventually, but I won't pay more than bargain bin price for it now.

I think you're seriously missing out JDR13. This is a great piece of old school goodness with exactly the right measure of modern 'streamlining'. I encountered one or two extremely minor bugs, but nothing remotely close to game breaking. The balancing issue is just after the second city and lasts about a level up or two and I admit it is unpleasant. But remaining 30 hours are pure joy. No action awesome, loads of tricky puzzles, great build options, wonderful old school art, minimal handholding. Honestly the best non indie RPG since FO:NV imho.

@JDR13

I played MM X at release date and they were no major bugs in the game. You have to power play to get some small negligible balancing issues in the late stages of the game (depending on your party build).

It’s painful for all of us to say goodbye to MMX, but rest assured you will hear about Might & Magic again soon.

Sounds alright in my book. In the beginning no one knew if it would even warrant an expansion DLC.

edit: about balancing - this is probably the best balanced MM game to date. In no other game was a druid as useful as a sorceror, for instance.

Last edited:
Indeed, the development team is now switching to exciting new projects. It’s painful for all of us to say goodbye to MMX, but rest assured you will hear about Might & Magic again soon.

Sounds horrible. Like some publisher-driven hack & slay game Blizzard clone. Ugh.

The ONLY thing to be sure is this : They will NEVER do an "old school" game again ! Because, if they did, they's support MMX much, much more …

And the industry ? They'll celebrate this as an "failure that was to be foreseen ! This insane old school stuff isn't going to sell at all ! And we have anticipated that ! So, let's go back to what we want the player to play !"

(Cynically egaggerating, but you get what I want to say.)

It is the game with the least amount of bugs I've played in a very very long time.

I don't think it is bad news. They didn't say that there won't be any old school M&M in the future anymore. On the contrary maybe they will thrill us again with a new M&M game. I don't know the sales but I bought 3 copies of the game in order to support them. One of them is early access. Also there are lots of forum topics about the game in internet, which is a good thing. As for the bugs when I switched my OS from 32 bit to 64 bit my memory and CTD problems are gone. Game is working pretty stable now.

To put those M&M steam figures in context, a more mainstream title like Lego Marvel has a peak of 5,890 and usually around 2,000. MMX had significantly higher figures in Jan/Feb but tailed off badly afterwards. That may actually be the problem - the game was bought extensively by fans on release, but only minimal post-release sales.

Of course, it hasn't been promo'd significantly, included in bundles or bucketshop sales in the way that Lego Marvel has, so perhaps UbiSoftt need to look at their post-release discounting strategy?

I guess the DLC was supposed to give this boost, but I'll be honest, as a hardcore M&M fan, I haven't had time to go back and play it with the DLC. Also, the DLC was free to early purchasers, who would probably have been most likely to pay for it .

I played at release and pretty much had minimal issues. It was a resource hog, especially in the overworld map. I wonder if it had something to do with the engine they chose to use.

Back
Top Bottom