Fallout 2 - Gaming Made Me @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Gaming Made Me series looks at the influence of Fallout 2 on the author:
I still distinctly remember the first couple of hours of Fallout 2. Fallout 2 was the first game I picked up of my own volition, and the first game I finished on my own. It would also be one of the only games where I played as a woman–it’s one of the rare instances where, though obviously largely written for a male audience, I still felt acknowledged.
I modified one of the starting characters, Chitsa. I appreciated that she was optimized for diplomacy, though I tweaked her to have high intelligence (“like me!,” I thought) and got rid of her sex appeal perk. No, I didn’t really want to “have a way” with the opposite sex–not in the manner the game implied, anyway. Not realizing I wasn’t “supposed” to be playing this game this young, I was confused as to why I couldn’t make my character younger than 18. At least I could rename her–and to this day, that Fallout 2 character is the only character I’ve named after myself in a game.
More information.

Dunno what's worse. To read one's memories about how original and great FO2 was (still is) or how Interplay decided to make games for dumbs and dumbers which was a death sentence to BiS and beginning of the lifetime struggle for Interplay.

It's history, noone learned anything from it and now we read bankrupcy news every now and then. And when sales fail because noone cares about their bullshit game, they say it's because of worldwide crisys, right. Oh, and it's always devs to blame, managers and CEO are never wrong.

Indeed, this is a stunning article - the importance of playing roles, I guess...

Great work Patricia! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom