Dragon Age: Inquisition - Interview @ OXM

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
OXM interviews Bioware about the world, combat, classes and more for Dragon Age: Inquisition. Here is a small preview of the four page interview.

This has been delayed to a late 2014 release. You've said that you'll spend the extra time adding Qunari to the playable races. How else are you making use of that time?

That's a good question. I think we'll just do more of what we were doing originally - more space, more content. The scope of what you can give to the player is really important in terms of how much they can enjoy and get into the world, so we'll be able to do more of that with the time that we have. But the other thing you use time like this for in development is just to hone and polish so much more.

Taking something from 90 to 95 per cent is just incredibly difficult and it requires a lot of time and focus and energy to do it. So this extra time will allow us to do even more of that than we would have previously, along with bringing in playable races. And playable races have broad-reaching impact on game development. It fuses and ripples along the entire story and all the side bits and pieces as well, with recordings and such as well. It's crazy. So that was a pretty big shift, especially to bring in a fourth one as well with the Qunari.

I've heard that BioWare has hired multiplayer designers for Inquisition. Do you have anything to declare on that front?

I have no idea at all in terms of hiring, but you know, the Mass Effect multiplayer stuff is really good, so we've certainly looked at options like that, but we haven't decided on anything in terms of multiplayer at this point.

It's presumably harder to make a multiplayer RPG than a multiplayer shooter, given that you've got to account for much more in the way of player customisation.

Shooters are really easy to make - well, not really easy to make, I shouldn't say that! But certainly there's a known quantity about what you want to try and create.
More information.

Kudos to OXM with this interview— they asked some very good questions. I'm really excited to play this. I know they have a lot of damage control here with fans, but I think BioWare has clearly gotten the message that DA2 just didn't cut it.

That said, as much as I like the Qunari as a race, and as a playable race had that been allowed in the first 2 games, it really sounds like it wouldn't make sense in the story as they've presented it (or at least what they've allowed to be leaked so far). As someone who has read the novels, I like to think I know a bit more than the casual gamer about the world of DA, and let me tell you, having a Qunari as head of the Inquisition is… really stretching things. A bit too far, perhaps?

I just hope the story makes sense and that they didn't add them as a playable race because they read one too many, "Doodz that'd B COOL!!!11!!!" on the forums.

Pretty good article, though the last question in the article sounds a bit more like propaganda to me.

Actually pretty much any race would work since the main character doesn't have to be raised by people of their own race so the main character could have the values of another race and it could lead to quests to learn about the main characters heritage.

Back
Top Bottom