Gamasutra - Goldbox RPGs & Modern RPGs

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Thomas Henshell has new article hosted on Gamasutra about what 90s SSI Goldbox RPGs Can Teach Us about the Modern RPG. The first part of the article can be found here.

Last time, I covered how re-reading the Dragonlance novels got me thinking about a new kind of RPG. One that is a realistic open world, procedurally-generated, and full of meaningful choices. The question is: How can I build it? Is it even possible?

Shark Tank is a TV show where prospective entrepreneurs (fish) pitch their business ideas to industry titans (sharks). After one of these pitches, Kevin (the grumpy Simon type billionaire on the show) asked, “Which is more important: The idea or the execution?”

Thinking for a minute, the entrepreneur nervously answered “Execution.”

“Right answer,” said Kevin. And he proceeded to invest in the idea.

I had a solid idea, but I wasn’t so sure about how to execute it. If I want to allow the player true choice, I have to address the cost of choice head on. I found the answer in two places: another TV show . . . and the early ‘90s.
More information.

A one-person effort to build a fully reactive, sandbox world. Without a license. Well, good luck with that... :p

I imagine it won't be longer before he's on the couch watching TV again.

Back
Top Bottom