Space Siege - Interview @ Games Radar

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A screenshot-heavy, text-light article on Space Siege at Games Radar gets input directly from Chris Taylor. Apparently there's going to be a lot of moral ambiguity:
“The first time you play through you’re probably going to say ‘Give me the cybernetics!’ and you’re going to be a hulking cybernetic monster,” says Taylor. “But your ending’s going to reflect that - you’ll walk into a room and people will scream and be like ‘That’s the hero?!’”
More information.

Since when does Games Radar host PC Zone UK?

Anyway, that's just a copy of this

Ok, so who's ever cried at a game? I'll admit I cried at Dungeon Siege a couple of times but not in a way Mr Taylor probably wants to know.

I cry sweat tears of despair when I see the nonsense Mr Taylor spouts and the way the media gulps it up

I find it interesting to see that you can get major press coverage with such a game... all about this game "screams" old and boring... even the screens look rather unimpressive.

“The first time you play through you’re probably going to say ‘Give me the cybernetics!’ and you’re going to be a hulking cybernetic monster,” says Taylor. “But your ending’s going to reflect that - you’ll walk into a room and people will scream and be like ‘That’s the hero?!’”

I guess some people will say, then:

"Who cares ?"

I guess some people will say, then:

"Who cares ?"

Especially when the core difference will be:

NPC: "Eeeek! You're the hero?! Will you do my quest?"

as opposed to:

NPC: "Hi handsome! Will you do my quest?"

Moral ambiguity my arse.

Oh, and the crying thing - that requires empathy, which in turn requires you to care about the characters. That's why I won't be crying at any X Siege game - at no time will they have ever spent the effort to make you emapthise.

Crusader No Remorse (1995) by Origin was kinda good allthough Im not sure I would like it today:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/crusader-no-remorse/

The game did have few shops and som dialogue but it was mostly combat and som puzzles like Doom (1993) except instead of first person it was isometric.

I hope they have atleast fixed the horrid mouseview of the siege-series.

I wonder if this game is marketed to pre-teens? Atleast what I understand from Taylors speech he is talking to 8 year olds.

Wow, what a bunch of cynics. I am sure you will all cry over missing the deep plot and fascinating characters. I mean, look at Dungeon Siege! You start off as a kid and have to leave home, uhhh, to go go off and do something. And the people around there, uhh, wait, were there any? There was a big dragon in a cave that you had to kill! And this big swamp! And there was a castle or something at the end where you had to kill some dude or monster or something. And I think there was a king or emperor or something who was happy you killed the bad dude/monster. And the mules, I remember there being mules.

Wow, what a bunch of cynics. I am sure you will all cry over missing the deep plot and fascinating characters. I mean, look at Dungeon Siege!
It isn't that we disagree, but rather that it is annoying to see all the major game media sites drool over this and hype it up and guarantee it will see massive amounts (for a RPG), while quality stuff like Eschalon languishes below the radar.

quality stuff like Eschalon languishes below the radar.

With good reason, of course. A game looking like that coming out in these times will never get full media attention. We can lament the day that graphics became more important than gameplay etc. but that's how it is. I haven't played Eschalon, so I can't talk about its gameplay, story, and so on, but I do know that I personally probably wouldn't enjoy it, judging by the screenshots.

A game like Dungeon Siege is popular because a lot of people enjoyed it. It successfully implemented the Diablo-like addictive play style. And now we're back at moaning about how the game industry is being destroyed by stupid Shitbox kiddies that only want dumbed down games under ten hours.

Cynic, indeed. Maybe with good reason as well (but I don't think so).

And now we're back at moaning about how the game industry is being destroyed by stupid Shitbox kiddies that only want dumbed down games under ten hours.

Not kiddies anymore ... these were the 'Nintendo Kiddies' of yore ... who are now in their 20's and 30's and STILL ruinin' gaming :D

That's why I won't be crying at any X Siege game - at no time will they have ever spent the effort to make you emapthise.

Well said ! That's my biggest criticism from myself !

And the mules, I remember there being mules.

:rotfl:

"And what memory do you take from the fascinating, totally immersive, gorgeous-looking, ever-thrilling, unrivalled fantasy experience of our brand new game ?"

"Mules. I remember there being mules."

Back
Top Bottom