WARNING Do Not Use Win 8.1

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Most of my games do not work with the windows upgrade. Actually they run but the graphics are off and you get that triple color image. It turns out to be a common problem with the upgrade and according to what I have read, I have to reinstall Win 8. (shades of the 90s)

BTW, my new computer had win 8 and everything ran fine. About an hour ago the Win 8.1 upgrade stared automatically while I was on the net.

Last edited:
Well, I'm running 8.1 without significant issues. Some old games have required a few tweaks - but that's to be expected.

All my real games (BioShock, Gothic 3, Splinter Cell, and ummm Land of Dawn no longer function with win 8.1) Only Majong and "I Have no mouth" operate the same as before. The OS works fine but it does not seem to be game friendly according to a lot of sites I have read.

Well this type of news makes me glad I haven't updated to Win 8 yet. I know I will have to sometime in the future though.:)

I know why I skipped Vista and went directly from XP to 7. Let's hope there's a better successor to 8 and I can skip it as well.

It turns out to be a common problem with the upgrade and according to what I have read, I have to reinstall Win 8. (shades of the 90s)
I don't see how that will help - after you reinstall 8, it'll automatically update when you go online. And you'll go online for sure because Origin and uPlay games demand it.

An I don't want 8. My monitor doesn't have a touchscreen ability, so I see no point abandoning 7.

An I don't want 8. My monitor doesn't have a touchscreen ability, so I see no point abandoning 7.

Microsoft's PR and product strategy are a mystery to me anyway. They rarely do what their customers really want and then they act surprised when no one likes it.

The only reason I upgraded is that I don't want to miss out on the advantages of DirectX 11.2 - once games start utilising it. I figured I might as well get used to Win8.

So far, it's been easier than I expected to adjust - though I think the Metro concept is complete stupidity for non-Tablets. But it's pretty easy to circumvent - and beyond DX11.2 - there are a few neat new features. I especially like the new interface for moving/replacing files - where multiple process are listed in one window and you get detailed information about performance. I also like that there's only a single confirmation needed to replace files - no matter what.

Also, the faster boot/shutdown times are nice - but pretty trivial, since I almost never turn off my machine. The only real benefit is when I update drivers and what not.

But, really, there's no significant reason to upgrade for the vast majority of users out there.

I don't see how that will help - after you reinstall 8, it'll automatically update when you go online. And you'll go online for sure because Origin and uPlay games demand it.

No it won't, I have windows 8 and still haven't installed 8.1. Really since you don't use 8 you would think you would educate yourself about it before posting bogus info.

I thought this thread was going to be about the mouse issues that are affecting several games, making them unplayable with a mouse.

Unsurprisingly people are saying the games work fine with an xbox 360 controller.

http://www.maximumpc.com/pc_gamers_affected_mouse_problems_windows_81_update_2013

Interesting... I did have a mouse issue with DX:HR DC - but I thought it was the game acting up... Guess it could be Win8.

But I haven't had mouse issues in other games.

No it won't, I have windows 8 and still haven't installed 8.1. Really since you don't use 8 you would think you would educate yourself about it before posting bogus info.
What's bogus? Why are automatic OS updates on your PC turned off anyway? If I used win8, I'd have them on just as I have them on my win7.
Unless you're saying 8.1 is not an update of servicepack type, but some new Microsoft's scheme.

Oh, so people are forced to upgrade just because joxer insists on doing it?

That makes joxer-sense ;)

I hope not. I seem to remember earlier in the week when it asked if I wanted to download the update and I said yes. Last night it made a request to install. While the update process was smooth, It seemed there was a cancel option during the update.

I thought this thread was going to be about the mouse issues that are affecting several games, making them unplayable with a mouse.

Unsurprisingly people are saying the games work fine with an xbox 360 controller.

http://www.maximumpc.com/pc_gamers_affected_mouse_problems_windows_81_update_2013

I read about the mouse issue and the Windows folks showed a 3rd party workaround while they work out that issue. I'm going to try to reinstall the games and hope that works.

On another negative side, Windows is making me sign in on my rig again with 8.1 so now I have to remember how I fixed all that mess.

You hope right.

After sakichop's post in let's slap and not provide info tone, I've googled and found out that in this case Microsoft for whatever reason copied Apple's AppStore scheme where if you want to install 8.1 you have to got into Windows store instead of Windows updates - means it won't install automatically.
Not only that but unlike good old servicepacks, you can't set 8.1 to install automatically by any means, you're forced to run it manually.

Not that I care much, as I've said, I don't want win8.

First off, Problem solved.

Secondly - I had no real gaming issues with Win 8. It came with my new rig. Sure it's a tablet wannabe desktop operating system. MS's lame attempt at trying to catch up to apple, but Win 8 works my games fine. I purchased a bunch of GOG.com games and they all worked great. BioShock Inf. looked and ran fantastic.

As far as the fix, IT was an upgrade problem.

Apparently in the Win 8.1 upgrade it globally enabled Nvidia Stereoscopic 3d. The simple fix was to simply uncheck the box in the Nvidia control panel.

Thanks to the Octopus Overlord poster who directed me to this site:
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/136412/why-am-i-seeing-in-3d

OTH, with this update it tossed all my cookies so I have to re-sign in to all my favorite sites plus I have to figure out again how to get rid of signing on to my rig every time I turn on my computer.

I even had to change the background color of this site back to black. Sigh, 1st world problems.

Haven't had any problems playing games on my rig wih 8.1. Sounds like a driver issue.

Ovreall, I enjoy Windows 8, and like the tweeks added by 8.1. Took a bit of customization to get it the way I liked it, but I'm a fan of the Metro interface now. One thing about 8.1 though is that it shows your background through. At first you might think 'So'? but it really does help to unify the two experiences. Now with all my tiles laid out like I want, it seems very natural to just hit the Window key, and click the tile I need for something. I still use 7 Stacks for a lot of my programs, but things like the old control panel and such are much easier to use from the Metro interface now.

Turning off automatic updates is one of the first things I do on any OS. The last thing I want is my system suddenly slowing me down for no reason at all or install a giant Croatian Language pack (Slovenian is good enough for me - j/k).

I've had to develop more and its a giant pain. Although the returned the start button and are massively promoting it in their new ads it still defaults to metro. Metro is fine for a phone but not for a desktop.

Incidentally, IMO the Windows 8 strategy was developed by the internal fight caused by the MS Courier.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-2...y-of-how-microsoft-killed-its-courier-tablet/

abharsair said:
I know why I skipped Vista and went directly from XP to 7. Let's hope there's a better successor to 8 and I can skip it as well.
Me too.

The only reason I upgraded is that I don't want to miss out on the advantages of DirectX 11.2 - once games start utilising it. I figured I might as well get used to Win8.

But, really, there's no significant reason to upgrade for the vast majority of users out there.

Yeah, I think the more pertinent move would be to acclimatise yourself to Linux, as this is what drives SteamOS.

DirectX days are numbered. It's always been used to sell the new windows but 10 and 11 still haven't caught up to 9s popularity with developers. 11.2 won't be utilised until long after win9 comes out and even then only by people M$ bribe to incorporate into their game. WinXP could very well run DX10 and DX11 if M$ so wished, but then why would gamers upgrade? Now with Gaben saying Win8 is a catastrophe and controlling the majority of PC online distribution, which is where its at, there might actually be no reason at all to ever buy a new Windows. :O

Also, on a related note, I look very forward to seeing AMDs Mantle API benchmarks compared with DX11! That said, I've always been an Nvidia user and love my non-ref GTX680

You hope right.

After sakichop's post in let's slap and not provide info tone, I've googled and found out that in this case Microsoft for whatever reason copied Apple's AppStore scheme where if you want to install 8.1 you have to got into Windows store instead of Windows updates - means it won't install automatically.
Not only that but unlike good old servicepacks, you can't set 8.1 to install automatically by any means, you're forced to run it manually.

Not that I care much, as I've said, I don't want win8.

Sorry, didn't mean to make you google something so you actually knew what you were posting about.;)

Also, on a related note, I look very forward to seeing AMDs Mantle API benchmarks compared with DX11! That said, I've always been an Nvidia user and love my non-ref GTX680

Well, Xbox one and ps4 don't support mantle, so I'm guessing we will be seeing a number of games with DX11.2 since most games will be console ports.

I understand MS not wanting mantle support since it would compete with DirectX and a low level API like mantle will blow away a high level API like directx, but I'm not sure why Sony wouldn't want the advantages of using mantle.

Back
Top Bottom