Starpoint Gemini - Crash Fix, DRM Removed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
It turns out the Securom added by Gamersgate was causing Starpoint Gemini's woes, so the devs have released a DRM-free main executable to fix the problem and, of course, remove Securom at the same time. You can get the file at Space Sim Central:
This exe fixes the entire crash issue. To explain things:
DRM was in conflict with our own exe file and that caused everything. We came to an agreement with GG to drop the whole protection and release the unprotected version. Here's the exe file. GG will be releasing the unprotected version tomorrow.

This is a quick fix. It is rudimentary but simple
*unzip the folder
*copy the exe to your game root directory over the original exe file
*play and have fun

Thank you once again for your patience and help. Thank you!
icon_e_smile.gif
Gamersgate has also released v1.002 but note this does not fix the crash issue itself. It's not clear if you should download v1.002 plus the .exe, or just the fixed .exe. Alternatively, apparently Gamersgate will release the DRM-free version in the next day or so.
More information.

doh!

Cool though, I should be able to move past the tutorial now.

Seeing as how the SecuROM was one of the only reasons I'd elected to hesitate on a purchase---rather likely I'll be ordering from GG soon once I have the money in hand.

Big props to the devs if they can maintain this level of speed on player feedback, patches, etc---the Indie world needs as many roughly comparable "Arcen's" out there as possible in this respect.

Great guns! They DROPPED the DRM just like that? I'm very impressed! (I'm also glad I'm not working for SecuROM right now. Somebody over there must be getting a major earfull.)

This is a quick fix. It is rudimentary but simple
*unzip the folder
*copy the exe to your game root directory over the original exe file
*play and have fun

Feels strange to actually have consent from a studio to do this

Yep, I downloaded that exe yesterday and works fine ever since, I enjoy the game, has that older, better times feeling. Congrats to devs for dropping their earn for the sake of the players, what I've seen on spacesim, their involvement with the players is immense, everyday communication, now the gamers are stockpiling ideas, and recommendations for patches, upgrades, sequals etc. That kind of a teamwork is commendable, not seen much lately, with all the fancy-suits around, scraping every penny to their pockets. I just hope the team won't bankrupt because of being the good guys. I look forward to sequels, hang on there LGM, and make an example!
As Borat would say: High five!

What an awesome group. "Causing issues? Okay, it's gone, then." May get this someday...too much on the plate now, though, and I'm not sure I'm a space game kinda guy, at least not yet.

30€ wasted, the game is terrible securom or not
-Sectors are tiny , freelancer's wise 1/20
-Combat us laughable
-It is freaking 2D , no Z axis
-click fest , assign repair troops, targeting .
-MQ scenario is crap, you start with an ancient ship and have to face infinite enemies in mission 2 , WTF is wrong with devs? it is supposed to be a core sector , how about having 50 allied ships vs 1 half destroyed pirate?
-Too much blah blah blah , you have to stop by the gate and talk for like 10`
-Forced tutorial

I only played 1 hour and already uninstalled , i am all for supporting small studios and indies but this sucks .

Only one hour in a complex game is hardly enough time to make a reasonably fair judgment. If one hour was the parameter for deciding if an rpg or strategy game (or just about any game) was enjoyable or not, then there would be a lot of games that would seem utterly terrible. A lot of games of this nature start off slow and progressively get better. Also, your complaints suggest that you did not realize what type of game this is: a classic rpg-inspired game set in space. This is not a space sim like the X series or Freelancer. It might have elements of space sims, but it is an rpg at its core.

I waited for them to fix it and when they did I bought it. It is not a bad game at all however, I am more of a sandbox player then a campaign guy. I gave it a shot but it is a lot on rails at the start which I don't like. Maybe that changes so I will get to the campaign later.

The free mode is pretty good so far although he was right that you get a horrible ship to start. But once you have accepted that you have to work a bit to get stronger you can change your strategy accordingly I think. It is a RPG game after all and you have to work at it. There are other ways to make money early in the game. I do wish mining equipment wasn't so hard to find especially when I see all the NPC's mining

I see a lot of activity by the NPC's, space chatter,etc. It feels like a living universe and it has something that kept me up til 2 am although it does have some stuff that annoys me. Get ready to save often,usually after success at missions,a bit of grinding to get a more worthy ship and running as soon as your scanner turns red. I wasn't expecting cutting edge graphics but some of the graphics are very pleasing and so is the music. After about 8 hrs in I would give it between 7.5 and 8

Ok I finally found the mining gear and things are starting to pick up- i am currently mining silver which makes for a good profit
I like the fact the dev team worked over the weekend and have released two patches already-one way to get around the weak ship in combat is to grapple the enemy ship and tow their asses to a station
Also, I came to the sector where I bought the mining gear and there are about ten missions instead of the usual 2 or 3. After the latest patch, missions respawn more

I still can't figure how to take command of a ship

What I can say is that sectors are smaller than Freelancer's, but IMO bigger than X's, and more content in them. When it comes to how difficult the game is or not, I had no bigger problems in Campaign, there's always someone with you on the first 5-6 quests... And while in freeroaming, well I just watched my back, and I did fine. Later on, flying bigger ships, you fly more often alone, with no one helping you out (except for onslaught quests, where like you get a fleetfight with 15 ships or more, with cca 2/3 in enemies' favor). The dialogues? Well, also, kinda refreshing IMO that a game has more of story, but again, everyone has something else in mind when it comes to play (I wonder what would people say for Planescape Torment - that one had a friggin' shitload of text, but a great game non the less).
It's people's choice, I believe LGM learned a lot on this one, and hope they'd continue working, probably with some changes too, 'cause niche titles always end up like this - either you like it, or hate it. And it can be the end for a developer.
In any case, a bravo for hard work (maybe they even tried too hard), DRM issue, and quick debugging together with open community not trying to escape and hide behind cover. I find it to be an awkward game at the beginning. maybe they'll make the sequel a bit less awkward...

Back
Top Bottom