Ambrov X - A Story-Driven Sci-Fi RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Ambrov X is a new Story-Driven Sci-Fi RPG being developed by a studio called Loreful. The game will shortly be available on kickstarter to help fund the project.

You can check out the game on our forums here or the games website. Except more coverage of the game in the following weeks.

Set in the award winning Sime~Gen Universe by Jacqueline Lichtenberg and Jean Lorrah, Ambrov X casts players in a far distant future as leaders of an unlikely but elite crew tasked with planting space beacons which allow for faster than light space travel. The Ambrov X saga unfolds into an action-packed story of first contact. Complete with epic battles and emotional decision making, Ambrov X brings to life the single-player, story-driven RPG through a thrilling space opera adventure. Ambrov X is scheduled for a 2015 release on Windows, OS X, Linux, iOS, Android, XBOX and PS 4. On Sept. 3rd, check us out on Kickstarter to JOIN IN THE ADVENTURE!
More information.

geez, these guys are clueless. Like ppl aren't fed up with space setting already. too many masseffects and deadspaces and a bunch other shooters.. who cares of the genre. its really the most braindead idea after dungeons and dragons.

in short > how would mass effect look with less funds and worst devs.

in short > how would mass effect look with less funds and worst devs.
Yep, that's what I thought as well: Low budget version of mass effect. Don't see a big attraction here. It's one of the genre-combinations probably better suited to AAA companies.

Well I beg to differ.:) It may just turn out to be Mass Effect with less funds, but I and others are interested.

What I mean here is the following:
Good voice Acting is expensive, much more expensive than plain text
What was making ME standing out was the presentation of the game, which costs lots of money.
Real Time Action combat in 3rd person view is probably one of the hardest ways to implement combat decently (e.g. isometric turn based or iso action combat is much easier to be made to feel decently).

The hurdle to overcome to make a decent game is very high compared to other genres. In addition the footage shown isn't exactly so mind blowing that it feels like they cover it with tons of experience (the feeling I had when looking at FRONTIERS for example).
And they also plan to bring it on every platform right away? That adds to the feeling that they overestimate themselves.
The episode thingy is also something which doesn't make it sound attractive.

The one thing I have to give them is the sound-design. Music and atmospheric sound are pretty good.

All good points. I think it all comes down to expectations. I don't expect any kickstarter to be on a level with publisher funded games. It's just not possible.

I'm not saying kickstarter games are bad just certain things cost allot of money to implement. That's probably the reason for the release of five episodes instead of one full game.

Their aspirations are the BioWare formula with MMO combat? Pass…

This looks like it could have a huge amount of potential if done right. Unfortunately, being "episodic" and only 3-5 hours each pretty much kills my interest.

I agree that this game doesn't sound that good but don't fault the setting since the setting doesn't determine what the game is going to be like. They could have gone with a Gothic set in space if they wanted to. Too bad they didn't go with Gothic set in space and it is likely I will skip this and anyways it is likely to fail since people pledging on kickstarter don't seem to want this kind of game.

PS. I hope these companies realize that people don't want these games on kickstarter soon.

I agree that this game doesn't sound that good but don't fault the setting since the setting doesn't determine what the game is going to be like. They could have gone with a Gothic set in space if they wanted to. Too bad they didn't go with Gothic set in space and it is likely I will skip this and anyways it is likely to fail since people pledging on kickstarter don't seem to want this kind of game.

PS. I hope these companies realize that people don't want these games on kickstarter soon.
True I have seen a few sc-fi games in different genres fail.:-/

As for Gothic in space it's a good concept. It would probably need a few million just to get finished though. I would back it instantly.

looks like mass effect but with lower production value and even less of an RPG.

They could have gone with a Gothic set in space if they wanted to. Too bad they didn't go with Gothic set in space and it is likely I will skip this and anyways it is likely to fail since people pledging on kickstarter don't seem to want this kind of game.

Gothic type game with a sci fi setting sounds amazing. Gothic was the most atmospheric RPG game I have ever played. Too bad these guys aren't aspiring towards that model.

OTOH, I am all for any type of sci fi/ space setting in an RPG. When 80% of the RPGs are Tolkienesque, the RPG genre is in desperate need of diversity.

This looks like it could have a huge amount of potential if done right. Unfortunately, being "episodic" and only 3-5 hours each pretty much kills my interest.

Same here.System works much better for adventures and even there I am not big fan of it.RPG cut to smaller chunks with months between them simply wouldn't work, at least not for me.

But on the other hand it's understandable since this looks like expensive project with with full VO.Making one big game probably couldn't be done with KS budget.

Last edited:
Best part seems to be the UI design of the Galactopedia.

"In short, its the a science fiction RPG we have all been waiting for."

I beg to differ. This is a Bad Pitch at best, would have failed if shown to publishers. Those hand-tentacles are creepy. 3D is too ambitious for a project of this budget size / judging from the Unity 3D environment. This should have been 2D.

Okay, just watched the video. Never heard of the sine-gen universe but I am on my way to Amazon after I post this. The universe sounds fascinating but the game did not quite looks so compelling.

OTOH, I loved the roundtable (in the video) on the famous Sci Fi RPGs, still they would have gotten a little more cred if from me if they had mentioned Albion.

I wish them luck and will keep a watchful eye.

geez, these guys are clueless. Like ppl aren't fed up with space setting already. too many masseffects and deadspaces and a bunch other shooters.. who cares of the genre. its really the most braindead idea after dungeons and dragons.

How do you know that people are fed up with the space setting? As they noted, how many sci-fi, space RPG's are there? Not many, so how can people be fed up? Your comment makes no sense. I could agree with fantasy - fantasy RPG's are a dime a dozen but there certainly aren't many space RPG's. And you talk about shooters when this is an RPG! That comment is irrelevant.

Talk about clueless!

OTOH, I loved the roundtable (in the video) on the famous Sci Fi RPGs, still they would have gotten a little more cred if from me if they had mentioned Albion..

Albion was 1996. They were obviously talking about modern games, not almost 20 year old games. If you go back that far you can find other sci-fi RPG's.

Real Time Action combat in 3rd person view is probably one of the hardest ways to implement combat decently (e.g. isometric turn based or iso action combat is much easier to be made to feel decently).

Exactly why is RT action combat in 3rd person "one of the hardest ways to implement combat". We see it in a lot of games - so why it is so hard? There not any difference between that and "iso action" other than perspective. Not sure that makes a whole lot of difference.

Uh ok, so people are fed up with the space setting, because of Mass Effect and Dead Space? Certainly!

In the same way, people are fed up with the medieval fantasy setting, because of Witcher, Dragon Age and Gothic.

And of course, people are fed up with the modern/realistic settings because of COD, Far Cry, etc.

Oh, and dont even start about the post-apocalyptic setting…

Obviously, people are fed up with everything. Seems about right.

——-

The setting is not the problem here. I see much potential in building on the ideas of Mass Effect 1. There are little to no games with that combination of gameplay and setting. Also take a look at Precursors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Precursors_(video_game)). Such a shame that it's a bug-fest and has such a laughable story-telling.

Doesnt mean Ambrov X will be just that. Kind of funny name, by the way. "Ambrov" does not have such a great vibe. And what happened to Ambrov IX?

Back
Top Bottom