Apple price fixing not just ebooks but games too?

This is why the so called gamers on here will never get apple and why apple will never get them. Apple wants as cheap games as possible on its platforms and prides itself with them while you sneer at them. Here is evidence of this with an interview I found from one of the battle academy devs (yes that $20 war game that was ported from PC and is the only one of its kind to be a moder pc port):
http://pockettactics.com/2012/05/18/tactical-chat-jd-mcneil-and-the-20-ios-game/

Why would apple not encourage bigger games, budgets, and stuff like dev teams being able to charge more so they can hire proper voice work or stunt people, etc.? To tell the truth, sometimes both apple and you guys confuse the hell out of me. It's like your both stuck in your little worlds refusing to change. I mean there is got o be a medium between app store being filled with doodle jumps and angry birds and actuallly offerings games that make sense on thhe iPad like chaos rings 2 or battle academy. Isn't there? I mean doesn't apple want bigger and bolder experiences for the iPad as opposed to just blown up iPhone games on it?

This isn't a new way for apple to do things, and your blindness to it is part of why you frustrate people on here. Apple has always been a "My way or the highway" company. Price fixing, sabotaging third party manufacturers, zero support past a product's "expiration date" , the list goes on and on.

Course I'm perfectly happy with my Ipad2. But my expectations were very low :)

In one article I read the opinion that Apple is - at its core - not so much different than Microsoft.

When it comes to digital distribution, there should be room for a vast gamut of pricing and (hopefully) respective content. What I don't want to see is high prices becoming a new norm for crap content, as we've come to expect from PC releases.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not really seeing any evidence of price fixing in the article. All they said was that Apple didn't understand their decision to sell for $20. They didn't stop them.

I'm normally happy to bash Apple as a company, and I generally view them as scarier then Microsoft ever was (but I still love my Iphone). But I don't think there is anything wrong with them advising their sellers about what the price for their games should be. I'm sure any retailer would do that.

What I don't get is why university professor never say anything bad about apple, particularly in the creative fields like web design, digital photography or journalism. I keep taking these courses and ey almost always use macs and none of the teachers say a single bad thing about Pple the whole semester. Any of you have similar experiences at higher education and liberal institutions with Apple?

Currently finishing up my PhD, I've never had a professor say anything bad about apple, microsoft, or any other computer related company. Why should they, unless they are computer teachers?

What I don't get is why university professor never say anything bad about apple, particularly in the creative fields like web design, digital photography or journalism. I keep taking these courses and ey almost always use macs and none of the teachers say a single bad thing about Pple the whole semester. Any of you have similar experiences at higher education and liberal institutions with Apple?

Apple spent a lot of money trying to convince people in creative fields that they were more useful to their needs than Windows (or other). A LOT of money. They even pay off a number of american music universities to require Apple ownership for admittance. Sadly, people in the creative field are usually not very technically savvy so they buy into this marketing, feeling they're being catered to as an important niche rather than just a small segment that Apple found easy to woo.

My music degree was full of obnoxious Apple fanboy professors. I gave one my own little lecture mid-class about platform agnosticism that left him somewhat flustered and, IMO, made him a better teacher. Diminishing your students because of an unfounded bias based on commercialization is unacceptable in a post-secondary world.

You actually had the thick skin of putting yourself out there in the middle of class and risking getting your grades influenced by getting in a verbal fiasco/argument with your teacher? I wish I could have done that as there were many times I had teachers with such strong opinions I was literally hitting my face on the desk. I went to Chicco State in the journalism department. One of these teachers, named Susan Brockus, kept telling us literally in different classes or course numbers (I took with her two) how privileged we are. Just because we choose to go to college instead of working minimums age or being gang bangers she kept insisting how wonderful we must feel and privileged. Which is total bs, because now in America a bachelors is like a high school diploma used to be and it is a necessity not a luxury anymore to get any good job. But she would make these statements without even giving her students a chance to raise their hands or comments and do lectures the entire class with non stop talking. She actually seemed to look down on people raising their hands and asking any questions on the instructions she would give. You could raise your hand for like a minute and she would keep talking.

I had a couple community college teachers who were also bad. One guy taughtt a required generate d course in recreation at butte college and would talk smack at you if you looked tired or were closing your eyes in class due to not getting enough sleep previously. Despite the fact you paid to be there he made it sound like you had to bow down to him and were super privileged to be at his class.

Also I took a course at Chico State with an instructional design teacher who lectured and put down a student because she was reading a book while in his class. He started saying stuff like "how would you feel if I took a shower in front of you" or something trying to make co parisons to her reading in his class and not paying attention to his speech fully and literally put her down for like 10 minutes. No one said anything.

Last edited:

As a University professor, why should I? My primary goal is to give the students the tools they need to work on these things.

Why has a fanboy like you alluvasudden changed direction?

I can't tell you how many computer "savvy" people tell me how great Apple products are, but are completely unable to tell me what about them is better without using vague terms like "better", "easier", "slicker".

A tool that enables you to do what you want to do is a good and useful tool.
No further justification is necessary.

they are also extremely stable, have far fewer bugs, and sync well with other Unix computers.

But they are not without their problems. Backwards compatibility for instance, and let's not forget price.

I used to work on the Apple assembly line too.

Getting back to the original topic, one should keep in mind that Apple is the retailer here in the case of music, ebooks, etc. Forcing them to sell items at a certain price would be illegal; not the other way around.

There's enough competition, ie. Android, Kindle, that developers/writers can always go somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom