Fable Legends - Preview Interview @ Shacknews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Lionhead Studios John Needham previews Fable Legends in this gameplay preview interview.

More information.

I'm barely interested in this franchise as it is. But Multiplayer now?. Meh. Not interested at all. They couldn't even pull off the 'deep roleplaying' concepts of the single player series, which was supposedly the driving concept originally. Multiplayer will only stand to make it even more shallow if that's even possible.

I think it sounds interesting, though I worry that you need a player for the enemy. Would have been nice if the AI could have taken over any of the roles.

Then again, I liked Fable and Fable 2 quite a bit - though they're clearly not to be taken too seriously.

The most important question:
Can you make a Fable that is even more ridiculous and devoid of any challenge or believable story than Fable 3?

I'm not a co-op player at all, but I could imagine that for those who like that it would make the game much better than Fable 3...

Then again, I liked Fable and Fable 2 quite a bit - though they're clearly not to be taken too seriously.

Fable 1 and 2 were fun to play. But they missed the mark by quite a lot from the stated goals and vision during development. And I say this making a best effort to filter out hype both on my side and their side.

I don't even know if Fable 3 was any good since they built a UI in a way where you basically play the UI the majority of the time. Click to activate the UI. Then wait. Wait. Wait. Wait some more. Then navigate over to inventory or whatever. Then wait. Then wait again. There was no way I was going to deal with that clumsy and slow UI over the course of the entire game.

I can keep an open mind about Fable Legends but I'm very skeptical. My skepticism doesn't even necessarily originate from the developers current efforts or analysis of past games in the series. It's just factual that MMO's by nature cannot react too specifically to individual players. And that's sort of a defining concept of Fable... I think anyway...

I know im supposed to put a snarky and completely negative comment here, but if you watch and listen to this clip they are actually trying to do something pretty different and unique with this game.

It could actually be quite a fun concept. Or it could be total shit… but it is indeed something different and i think that is worth giving it at least a peek

I remember having fun with the first Fable when it appeared on PC.
It was quirky, fluffy and hilarious. Back then I wasn't so spoiled so I didn't care for bad UI, bad savegame system, retarded quests and endless mobrespawns.
Oh and the game actually had something unique - you could marry 4 (or 5) NPCs (no matter the gender) at the same time!

Fable 2 never got into my hands as I don't want consoles nor console games.
Fable 3 was an utter disaster, it's one of those rare games I've never finished - repetitiveness and crap design (of inventory, of UI, of map, etc of almost everything) completely killed it for me.

And a month or two ago I went on Fable1 replay. I just couldn't bare it and soon I've uninstalled it. It just wasn't fun.

Fable Legends is supposed to be a coop game, right?
That means only I will not buy it. Not now, not ever. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom