Eidos Montreal - GM Resigns Blames Square Enix

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
For anyone that's interested Polygon has news that Eidos Montreal's founder and General Manager Stephane D'Astous has resigned from the company. He blames Square Enix for his departure.

In a statement, D'Astous, who helped found the studio in 2007, said he left the company after being unable to reconcile differences between Eidos and Square Enix Europe.

"Since last year's financial short-coming performance of Square Enix Europe, we (HQ London and GM Eidos Montreal) have had growing and divergent opinions on what needed to be done to correct the situation," he said. "The lack of leadership, lack of courage and the lack of communication were so evident, that I wasn't able to conduct my job correctly. I realized that our differences were irreconcilable, and that the best decision was unfortunately to part ways."

Eidos Montreal, which heads Square Enix's Deus Ex franchises, has faced turmoil over the past five years in developing the upcoming Thief reboot, which Polygon reports was mired in corporate politics and stalled by the departure of numerous development team members.
More information.

burn those bridges ace.
Well when your publisher blames the western studios for it's financial troubles even though their games sell 3-6 million he may be right.

Still he should of worded what he said different if he wants another job in the industry. Repeat after me blacklist it exists.:)(Basically means your put on a do not hire list even though it's illegal to do so)

Last edited:
Worst publishers list, IMO:
1. EA
2. Ubi
3. Square Enix

Recent Ubisoft's moves (softening the attitude on always online DRM, a few great games released) and this article means that soon Square Enix could go up and take position #2.

I hate it when someone leaves a company and it's always like "I decided to pursue other interests" or whatever. I appreciate it when they tell it how it is.

Back
Top Bottom