Witcher 3 - Nvidia's Fur Tech

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
A new article on DSO Gaming talks about new Nvidia tech that will render animal fur in The Witcher 3. From the looks of it you will need the latest video card to barely even render it.

During this year’s PAX Prime, Nvidia showcased its Fur Tech that will be used in The Witcher 3. In this demo, Nvidia showcased what its latest tech looks like, however it seems that this particular technique will require a really high-end graphics card in order to be enjoyed. In fact, Nvidia demoed its Fur tech at a mere resolution of 1024×768 and the Titan card was able to only push 65fps when there were two wolves on screen.
More information.

We all know how stressful rendering fur can be on a video card. ;)
Well we can always ask AMD with their Tress FX hair rendering tech. ;)

Look at the latest Tomb Raider for an example. It was the first game to finally take hair seriously, and yes it can be stressful with the amount of detail it takes.

I fear that techniques like this will make it almost impossible to emulate games like this in 50 years or so.
But on the other hand : Computer technology evolves so fast ...
Anyway, DirectX games will be difficult to emulate, I fear, in general.

It will be neat in 10 years but its pretty pointless right now.
I wouldn't say so as that was the path Origin chose to take, back in the Ultima days. Still can't say that was the right choice to make back then but I won't say the contrary either. Pagan was a chore to run, even on my 486DXII66 at that time (partly due to the DOS config too though) but on the other hand it aged pretty well so… :)

Nothing of these since Matrox's "environmental bump mapping" made into games only after several card generations, meaning in the first generation where these features are advertised buyers get only duped..

Looks awesome though, go NVIDIA! Maybe they will even get it done in higher resolutions before the asteroids arrive and bomb this planet to hell..

Lets just hope this isn't some stupid nVidia exclusive feature. Last thing PC gaming needs is cutting out a chunk of the possible user base in return for a bit of marketing.

IF openCL/directCompute then less of a problem, and more easy to emulate in the future.

Look at the latest Tomb Raider for an example. It was the first game to finally take hair seriously, and yes it can be stressful with the amount of detail it takes.

Yeah, all the details like how to brush it correctly, and the ideal conditioner… it's a real drag.

Frankly, I'm just not interested in being able to count every single hair on the butt of that troll I am going to kill. It will just make games more expensive, raising expectations without adding significant quality to them.

Yeah, all the details like how to brush it correctly, and the ideal conditioner… it's a real drag.
Well go play a Bioware game and see the difference then. They don't know how to do hair physics.

I didn't know bringing more realism to a game is a bad thing. Obviously this doesn't matter to you so move on.:rolleyes:

It's not a bad thing in itself, the sideeffects are. More money spend on graphics. That is just not where I see games lacking at the moment…

ps: Never even noticed bioware has hair-problems. Figures.

Well, let's just wait until this becomes part of the gameplay, headbang your enemies with your hair... remember to brush away the hair from your eyes before firing that gun... I cannot see where to strike the fur-ball because of all the hair...

On a more serious note though, characters with working hair will add a lot to the realism of games, however it'll still be a couple of years off before we have hardware that can handle that.

Should they start developing their own GPUs to showcase theirs kalniel?

By showcasing someone else's (nVidia's) work?
When it comes to ambition and respect to the customer, these guys never back down. They are always trying to improve what they did and they're not like "OK, that's it. We're giving them enough already." It's true that this is someone else's work, (as zahratustra said, you expected it to be their own?), but still it's more hard work for them and although many people can't experience it (because of the high system requirements), they still decided to implement it.

And it's not only this. When everyone is trying to implement all kinds of awful DRM systems and cut content to sell as DLC, CDPR made Witcher 2 without any kind of DRM (by making it available on GOG) and gave free content to people who bought it.

Quality of their games aside, their policies as a game making company is something everyone should follow.

Should they start developing their own GPUs to showcase theirs kalniel?

Non sequitur.

nVidia are demonstrating their own software. nVidia have done the same with tech demos for lots of other games (remember shiny water for Morrowind? Go pixel shader v1.3!), and AMD a few as well. There's nothing here that makes CDPR stand out.

When it comes to ambition and respect to the customer, these guys never back down. They are always trying to improve what they did and they're not like "OK, that's it. We're giving them enough already."
Hardly a unique quality, but I can understand where you're coming from.

It's true that this is someone else's work, (as zahratustra said, you expected it to be their own?)
You seem to be suggesting that it's of CDPRs doing. It's not, this is almost entirely nVidia, and it's for almost entirely nVidia's benefit.

, but still it's more hard work for them and although many people can't experience it (because of the high system requirements), they still decided to implement it.
Or they could have implemented a similar system that's non-propriatory and thus available for people who have good systems, not just good systems with an arbritary make of graphics card.

And it's not only this. When everyone is trying to implement all kinds of awful DRM systems and cut content to sell as DLC, CDPR made Witcher 2 without any kind of DRM (by making it available on GOG) and gave free content to people who bought it.
I love CDPR, but don't forget TW2 wasn't DRM free for boxed copies.

Quality of their games aside, their policies as a game making company is something everyone should follow.
Policies of excluding features from owners of AMD (and maybe Intel) GPU users for no technical reason and purely for anti-competitive marketing reasons is NOT something everyone should follow.

Well, let's just wait until this becomes part of the gameplay, headbang your enemies with your hair…

Wasn't there an Japanese game with something like that ? Featuring a Witch ?

Back
Top Bottom