Avadon - Review @ Zeboyd Games

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Zeboyd Games (makers of 8-bit RPGs Breath of Death and Cthulhu Saves The World) has reviewed Avadon. It's a positive piece although the author does note some flaws:
I did have a few issues with the game here and there though. I would have preferred more party slots (you can only have 3 characters in your party at a time), more class options (only 4 classes which basically correspond to Warrior, Ninja, Mage, and Druid), and some sort of innate difference between the main character and the characters you can recruit (whatever class you pick for your main character is exactly the same as the character of that class you can recruit as far as I can tell). Difficulty can feel a bit unbalanced at times – playing on Normal mode, I found the boss fights to be well designed and offer a good challenge but I was able to breeze through most non-boss fights just by spamming basic attacks. The interface can be a little clunky at times – for example, “I” opens up the inventory page but pressing “I” again won’t close it. And though I eventually got used to it, the presentation was more old-school than I would have liked (90s graphics and no music, just ambient noises).
More information.

I don't think Avadon is Jeff's best work. Its good... but even Geneforge 1 which I'm currently playing is a bit more interesting. That being said I am looking forward to Avadon 2, since "not his best work" is a relative thing... its still better than most offerings out there at any budget.

Back
Top Bottom