Might and Magic V vs. Wizardry VII/Gold

jaes

Watchdog
Might and Magic IV vs. Wizardry VII/Gold

Now that GOG has both games, I'm going to play either Might and Magic IV or Wizardry VII/Gold, and maybe some of the other games in the two series. But since it can take me months to complete a RPG (I don't play one game at the time, but shift between 3-4 games in different genres), it's quite important to choose the right one. Also to avoid playing 10 hours and then decide the game is not for me.

So, please help me decide by rating and/or describing the pros/cons of the games in these categories:

Exploring/world
Combat
Story
Characters/dialog
Puzzles

Feel free to mention other pros and cons outside the categories. Thanks!

EDIT: Clarification.
EDIT 2: Sorry a bit tired today - I meant MMIV not V (I've fixed the title).

Last edited:
Being the cheap bastiche that I am, I will point out that M&M:World of Xeen (4 and 5 combined) is part of the Might and Magic six pack on GoG; M&M1-6 + Swords of Xeen in one package. In short, a pretty good deal vs Wiz6 and 7 together. There is no point to playing V by itself; if you can even install it by itself from GoG. You get a whole 'nother world to wander, as well as some Wox-only stuff.

That said:

Might and Magic: World of Xeen has a somewhat less serious approach to the story, with far less emphasis on NPC interaction than Wiz7. It also has simpler combat. So if you're looking for story, Wiz7 hands down.

Wiz7 is also more challenging (Wizardry games, except 8, are notorious for a difficult learning curve), with magic not being the kill 'em all like in most cRPGs of this style (IIRC, it's been some years since I played Wiz7, and I may be confusing Wiz8 in a bit).

To me, both are enjoyable, but when choosing between the two, I would try Might and Magic first. Largely because you are getting 3 times as many games, with enough differences between 1-2 and 3-5, and 6, that you get different experiences with them (1 did not age well IMO, but the others all have aged very well). But it is also more accessible and easier to play, with less of a learning curve. For a player more used to a modern game, it also has an automap, and even a notes system for marking some locations.

That said, Wizardry 7 is far from bad, heck I just rebought it from GoG just because I can. The GoG version is Wizardry Gold, which includes an automap as well, but you have to find it. Wizardry 6, however, does not. Get some graph paper, or go online to find some maps.

*Edit* The regular download includes WizGold. However, in the extras is the DOS version of Wizardry 7. It is better by far.

Last edited:
azraelck:
Thanks for your input. As you may have noticed, I meant MMIV. But I think you may be right that it makes more sense to see IV and V as one game (others have said the same thing).

Regarding the quality of the games, it seems most people have the same opinion as you as well - that the games are more or less on the same quality level but with a few but noticeable differences. And that's just positive - I'm probably going to play both games, one soon and the other at some point down the line. I'll probably start with IV/V as I bought the MM pack on GOG.com recently.

Sorry, what's this? Is this a game?
I'm guessing Amortik is a bot? :) If not, then I apologize. It's just that the nature of the comment combined with the fact that it's the posters first/only comment on this forum is suspicious :)

I agree with Az about the games; I currently have both on my HD. I also agree about the bot; I'll check that out. :)

Thanks. Almost ready to boot up MM: WoX as I post this comment ;)

If you want a nice and easy game, play World of Xeen.
If you want a real challenge that lasts for months, play Wiz 7.

WoX has better exploration; Wiz 7 has better NPC interaction, combat and character development.

Back
Top Bottom