HoMM 5 - Tribes of the East Trailer

I dunno. For many years I was the greatest fan on Might and Magic and HoMM. I loved HoMM 1-3, but with 4 the series died. I know, HoMM 5 captured somewhat the old spirit, but... somehow it lost its appeal to me. Maybe it was the funny, cartoony style I loved, which is lost in these detailled settings. I loved the old ones for its classic fantasy worlds, which always were a bit old fashioned, and of course since I played and loved the M&M RPGs I knew the worlds and were kinda emotionally connected. I knew Erathia, when I played HoMM 2 & 3, but now... its all generic stuff to me.

Does any old HoMM fan feel likewise, or is it only me??

Man, makes me wish someone would make a sequel to the M&M series, heh. We never found out what was with Corak and the crumbled empire. But I guess I am the only fool still caring about story arcs begun in mid 80ies, heh. ;) Well... those were days of legendary games. Long gone.

I do agree with you about where the series has gone. elikal. I don't know how many hours I've spent with it back when it was all 3DO. But to me everything after the Shadows of Death expansion has just gotten farther and farther from what made the series great.

HoMM V is not a bad game, and it's very shiny. When I first got it, I was enthralled and thought the series had been reborn. However, each patch and rebalancing has nerfed down the difficulty. The Hammers of Fate expansion was so easy it actually almost put me to sleep during the turn wait. I remember the campaigns form HoMM3--you knew you'd done something when you beat the game there.

It's very unlikely I'll get this expansion. I liked the HoMMV world, and the storyline okay, though there's not a lot to it. But the gameplay just got too predictable. I haven't cracked the game open for months, but I do go back and replay HoMM III all the time. In fact, there are still a few campaigns I haven't beaten after almost 10 years.

I know a lot of people here would second your vote that the Might & Magic rpg series be continued as well. Maybe Ubisoft will decide to do it some day instead of teasing us with stuff like Dark Messiah. :)

Back
Top Bottom