Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes - Now Avaiable on Digital Distribution

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Stardock announces the release of Fallen Enchantress – Legendary Heroes is now available via digital distribution for $39.99 for newcomers to the series, or $19.99 for those who already own Fallen Enchantress.

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes begins right where Fallen Enchantress left off. Your fame has spread far and wide bringing forth champions who will aid your cause in restoring civilization to the land.

Two New Factions.
The Objectivist Capitarians and the Industrious Urxen have been added.

Fame.
Champions are no longer placed randomly on the map but instead are earned through fame that your civilization generates through its deeds.

New Leveling System.
Your sovereign and your champions now evolve through a skill tree that visually allows you to pre-plan what kind of hero you want him or her to be.

New Tactical Battle Maps.
Battles are now much more intense with far more special skills available and initiative being far more important. New combat mechanics - such as swarming increase the strategic options.

New Monsters.
The Legendary Heroes did not reach our lands alone. Their ancient enemies have arrived with them - including the nightmarish liches and their skeletal minions, banshees and the dreaded Garagoxi seek dominion over Elemental itself.

More Magic.
New spells like "Wall of Fire" and "Raise Horde" add new options and new dangers to battle.

New Quests, Items, and Equipment.
All of the factions will encounter new quests, gain access to new weapons, armor and equipment and discover many new treasures as they explore the world.

Huge Maps.
A new gigantic sized map delivers epic sized games.
Updated Graphics Engine.

The graphics engine delivers stunningly new visuals while improving performance on older machines.

Updated User Interface.

LOTS more.
More information.

Important to note! The game is FREE to those who registered Elemental War of Magic before March 30th 2010.

I held off playing the beta version of this...but Im downloading it now as we speak. Fallen Enchantress was a huge improvement over War of Magic. It is/was quite enjoyable, but It didn't rank with the best games in the "genre".

Im hoping that Legendary Heroes will bring the Elemental series yet one step closer to being great :).

If anyone has tried it already, i'd love to hear some comments :).

Important to note! The game is FREE to those who registered Elemental War of Magic before March 30th 2010.
Thanks I almost forgot about that. Unfortunately I waited because the original was a mess on release.
I posted three reviews earlier. I'm sure to have more eventually but yes it's better to have a watchers opinion.;)

I've been playing this for a few hours now and I can't really see how it's much different than the original FE. Yeah, the battles are a bit more involved, but not much really. There are some new monsters and a newer skill tree for heroes. Looks a bit nicer. Certainly worth the $19 I paid, but would not have paid full price, so I consider it a fair deal.

FE is a very good game-- until you get about halfway through. Unlike Civ, which starts slow and gets better over time, FE starts wonderfully but dies over time. I never really found much reason to keep playing once I had killed off all the monsters and explored most of the quests. It needs more late-game substance.

Having a proper skill tree sounds nice but I haven't been able to get into Fallen Enchantress all that much. Maybe I'll pick this expansion up in a year or so and give the game another shot.

Still would rather have Gal Civ 3.

This is actually the best strategy game I have ever played. As a strategy game it puts other fantasy TBS to shame. MoM, Age of Wonders 2, Shadow Magic, have nothing on Legendary Heroes in terms of gameplay. The only thing these games do better is they milk the ego attraction of your wizard a bit better. For instance in MoM, it really feels like the wizard you make in the beginning is coming to rule the world throughout the game. That is there with Legendary Heroes, but it gets drowned out a bit because it is such a well-rounded strategy game.

The tactical balance is what was really tightened up in this expansion. The game has excellent pacing, and unless you are already awesome at the game you will be excited with each quest you complete or goodie you find, as you will need to hoard advantages to be able expand and keep up with the AI. This part of the game came together amazingly. The game also includes a scenario which is a full regular game on a hand-designed map that triggers story progressions throughout, this is by far the best Stardock has done with story mode in my opinion.

The heros are really well done, the new fame mechanic works nicely. The big addition is the trait trees, which are a huge improvement over the random selections. They are really well-designed to noticeably improve your hero level by level, with a lot of new active-use skills which make combat more fun.

Fallen Enchantress was a good game, this takes it to a new level. It is a now a robust but tight strategy game that plays with fun rpg-elements. And it is the best-designed strategy game I have ever played.

Last edited:
Well, Burress, I hope you get some sort of commission for that sales talk because you've gone and convinced me to get the darn thing! :D

I may get forgiveness for posting withering criticism on their forum throughout the beta, but I think commission may be a stretch. :) Seriously, it is amazing how well this game plays now. It reallly feels like an accomplishment earning a decisive advantage in the game because of the love that was put in to balance and pacing in the design.

I played two hours of this yesterday, so much better then the original. I love the way they have implemented heroes and the leveling system. I think there is a lot of fun to be had here:)

How complex is the tactical combat compared to Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic? I absolutely loved the combat in that game.

How complex is the tactical combat compared to Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic? I absolutely loved the combat in that game.

I would say it is similar...all the characters(even non hero) have different abilities now.....To early to say how deep.

I think it is better than Shadow Magic. The regular units have special abilities based on weapon type, the variety of spells is greater, and heroes can develop several special attacks depending on what class you develop them as. There are resistances and immunities in some of the monsters, many of which have special attacks of their own. There is a swarm mechanic which gives attack and accuracy bonuses if you have multiple units surrounding the target. Positioning is important. Clever tactics can beat an overpowering enemy early on in the game, so you can get a big strategic advantage if you are savvy.

There won't be any invulnerable super-heroes that can clear a whole map single-handedly like in Shadow Magic. That was a feature to some, but I don't see that happening at all in this game. I think shadow magic had prettier tactical combat scenes (though here you can zoom in close on far more detailed units). Shadow Magic also had battle terrains with line of sight and siege obstacles, there isn't any of that here. Breaking walls was awesome, I wish they did have that in Legendary Heroes. The battles also lasted a lot longer in Shadow Magic too. That is more of a tradeoff, I don't think they were deeper, but a 10-20 minute combat could feel more epic if it wasn't more boring (the tradeoff I experienced in Shadow Magic during sieges). Most battles in Legendary Heroes are done in 2-8 turns. As far as gameplay, I don't think there is a comparison. The focus was very heavy on making a balanced, complex strategy game, and years of labor have payed off big.

Last edited:

I bought Elemental War of Magic on it's release day and played around 20 hours. I liked it, but it was missing something.

It's been a very nice surprise to find out that Fallen Enchantress is free and that Legendary Heroes is also free. It's rare to have a company admit they put out an inferior product and then compensate for it. I can't help but to want to support them.

Fallen Enchantress is a very cool game! It's a combination of several game styles. It's a bit of M&M Heroes & Civ, ect.

I highly recommend it. If anyone is on the fence on this one, feel free to ask me some questions.

I bought Elemental War of Magic on it's release day and played around 20 hours. I liked it, but it was missing something.

It's been a very nice surprise to find out that Fallen Enchantress is free and that Legendary Heroes is also free. It's rare to have a company admit they put out an inferior product and then compensate for it. I can't help but to want to support them.

Fallen Enchantress is a very cool game! It's a combination of several game styles. It's a bit of M&M Heroes & Civ, ect.

I highly recommend it. If anyone is on the fence on this one, feel free to ask me some questions.

I really like the way Stardock take on criticisms and then improve their games, pretty unique really. They did the same with Galactic Civilizations (which is a great game) and sins of a solar empire. That gives their games a much longer life cycle than the industry norm. And they reward their early purchasers when they make improvements too. I'm sure that we are not the only ones to appreciate this kind of thing, so maybe it's a good business model too.

I'm one of the War of Magic preorder guys. Been with the series since the start.

I've been wondering how excited I'd be if I was recently introduced to the series and every aspect of the game was new rather than just the changes in this, the latest and greatest, iteration of what is now a very familiar game.

I think the answer is probably pretty damn excited.

I think that's enough said for someone completely new to the game, but my comments to other experienced players or the developers themselves would include more specific stuff.

Seeing a few of the comments it seems my post was misunderstood :p I'm not a new player to the world of Elemental. Was one of the first adopters as well, hence why I got Fallen Enchantress and Legendary Heroes free.

I held off playing Legendary Heroes while it was in beta. I wanted to be surprised by the final, polished product :) I was actually looking for comments from an experienced player that has played Legendary Heroes on the changes since Fallen Enchantress.

To my surprise I got this for free. I thought they had really paid their dues with the Fallen Enchantress expansion but then the Elemental initial release was pretty bad. As much I have loved GalCiv and Sins I could never get into Elemental or the expansion. I've added it to my steam queue and will try it out. I really hadn't followed the game or its updates so it should hopefully be a nice surprise and can finally play it the way it was meant to be.

Back
Top Bottom