Fallout 3 - No out-of-box mod support. PAX Updates

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A handful of Fallout 3 updates from PAX. First, Joystiq has an .mp3 interview with Todd Howard that confirms no mod support at launch. Here's the relevant bit on mods support transcribed:
We don't [have MOD support at launch], we want to but we have our hands so full with getting the game out and getting tools out there that work well for people and with the game is a pretty big undertaking.
Over at Shacknews there's an interview with Pete Hines (and, refreshingly, someone different) artist Istvan Pely. They discuss DLC, getting the feel of the wasteland right and the Oblivion-with-guns comparisons:
Shack: Sometimes it takes a long time before you find any enemies. I assume you guys have carefully balanced their placement so that it feels just right?
Istvan Pely: Yeah, and we try to find the right balance, so that it feels like I'm not running into something every minute, but it doesn't take long before I come across something.
And our encounters, there are some very creative encounters. You may come across a hit squad going after some guy, or a melee fight going on that has nothing to do with you--you can just watch them, let them kill eachother, help one side or the other. There's a lot of neat little things to discover there that are unpredictable. It's not always going to be, "Oh, Radscorpion coming at me." There's some of that, but there's a lot more to it.
Pete Hines: I think the Super-Duper Mart is probably one of the best examples of that. In front of the Super-Duper Mart is just this complete, every time you come around the corner you have no idea what's gonna be going on. Sometimes there's a robot fighting some stuff, or a Radscorpion attacking some guy. It's so great every time you go see it--it's one of those watercooler things.
Istvan Pely: Sometimes you get there and everybody's dead. [laughs]
...and GameSpy has a new preview in a walkthrough format:
Spying what looked like a ghost town on the horizon, I made my way in its direction to see if there was anything worth salvaging. As I stepped into what would have been the city's limits if there had been any residents left, I noticed that I'd gotten a couple of experience points for discovering "Minefield." Certainly that was just the name of this ghost town, right?

Beep. Beep. Beepbeepbeep.

BOOM!

Ouch... no, that's not just a name. Some damned fool had mined the town, and I soon met the damned fool himself. Or rather, fire from his sniper rifle met my delicate, Vault-fresh flesh. He was a very old man perched atop what was left of a three-story building, taking pot shots at me as I hit the healing stimpacks hard, juicing myself back into wellness.
More information.

I bought Oblivion when it came out and then I had to put it aside for months until the modders came up with ways to get rid of all the hand-holding stuff, the bad leveling and the console like feel. No way I'm going to go through that again. I'll just take this out of my "Slight Chance of Buying" list and into my " Maybe In the Far Distant Future or Never" one.

On another note, has anyone else noticed how Todd Howard looks and talks like a Ferengi? Creepy.

I bought Oblivion when it came out and played the Hades out of it. Then downloaded some mods and kept playing. Then some more. Then I put it down for awhile until Shivering Island came out. Then played the Hades out of it all over again. I think I pulled 200 hours out of that thing. The only bad part for me was when I got a new, 64-bit Vista machine and suddenly couldn't use the DLC I had bought. NOT happy about that at all.

(Hehe, I just checked the website. They STILL can't handle 64-bit or Vista.)

No mod tools at launch isn't so bad. The modders have to play and fiddle with the game for quite awhile to get the feel of things anyway. As long as the tools pop out in the first month or so, no biggy.

Back
Top Bottom