Hellraid - Dead Island Meets Oblivion

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Techland's new game Hellraid looks to recapture the magic of '90s PC gaming. To showcase their ambitions Techland has released a small trailer. Eurogamer has a small article with more information also.

More information.

It looks more like Dark Messiah, which I don't mind. However, I don't it to be a corridor shooter either and would like some exploration, some skill leveling and arrows to the knee!

Oblivion... Was one of the most boring games I've played.
Something meets Oblivion... I wouldn't buy.

Geez when they said 90's gaming I thought they were going to bring back Wizardry, Ultima's or even Gold boxes.

This looks like Quake, or Heretic, Hexen or even Quake. With the Dead Island cooperative gameplay on single maps.

Now I'm not sure I want the 90's back. Going to be very popular with consoles probably.

Heretic/Hexen was my thinking, too, but I'm liking it! I'm not so sure it will be an RPG, though.

Heretic/Hexen was my thinking, too, but I'm liking it! I'm not so sure it will be an RPG, though.
No it just has RPG elements so by today's standards that means it's an RPG.;) The game is just a modified version of Dead Island.

Last edited:
Hexen 2013

Techland has such a bad reputation for console game design. Admittedly I still bought both Dead Islands, mostly for the Coop RPGishness. ;)

Edit: Pretty sure those are meant to be wands, not guns.

Hexen indeed :) Unfortunately, was never a fan of the original... If you're going to remake a 90's fps classic, try Dark Forces & Jedi Knight!

There is surely room for more dark fantasy FPS-games. I have fond memories of Heretic and Hexen. Haven't played anything in a similar vein for years, so I'm looking forward to this.

Sigh.
Maybe one day we'll have both freedom/exploration/choices and good first person combat.

I was about to be original and say HEXEN quickly came to mind while watching this video. Then I saw how you people already stole my thunder. Thanks a lot. :p

Looks like Hexen to me. Which if true equals no buy.

Yes. That's the only 90s game I can think of that this reminds me of. And I played a lot of games in the 1990s. Not really seeing the Oblivion in this, either. What am I missing?

There were puzzles and a lot of backtracking in Hexen. This is more like Heretic.

Moreover, if you head to the game website you will see some development videos and movement and combat is very close to Dark Messiah (with kicking and destructable objects - hey I can see my feet!).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom