Fallout: New Vegas - Review Flood #1

Dhruin

SasqWatch
After having a look around, there are a good number of Fallout: New Vegas reviews out so here's our first collection. In general, most of the articles highly praise the content but note technical issues (note: most of these are X360 reviews). The impact varies, and most seem to suggest these are legacy issues similar to Oblivion and FO3, although some seem to have had more trouble. One outlier see this is little more than an outdated mod but they are definitely the minority.
Joystiq has a positive review but they do take a hard stance on the technical issues and describe the changes made by Obsidian as "cosmetic". Still, they say the experience is worth it. 3.5/5.
Giant Bomb says "if you can accept a partially broken game, Fallout: New Vegas is well-worth the trip". 4/5.
The Adrenaline Vault says "oustanding" and "excels on all levels, and you’ll want to keep playing just to see how the story unfolds". They note only two technical issues. 5/5
Atomic Gamer thinks this is Obsidian's best yet and note the "hugely expanded perk system" and the factions. 9/10.
Ars Technica seems to have been hardest hit by technical problems but they still say "Buy". The pros include 'epic story with excellent writing and acting'.
Gamer's Hell can't get over the dated graphics and the "all too familiar experience. While most of the reviews note the underlying similarities, Gamer's Hell is alone in not appreciating the content. 7/10.
More information.

The Gamer's Hell guy can go take a long walk off a short pier as far as I'm concerned. I could give a rat's ass about the "dated graphics." Dated graphics….that is just too funny. Let's forget about the real problems in Fallout 3 like the brain dead storyline and the meaningless NPCs. Let's forget about all the improvements on this one and how much bigger it is and focus on how it just looks the same. Give me a break…

Oh well, enough negativity. The rest of the reviews were exactly what I wanted to know. It's buggy, sure, but it's a flawed gem that can be fixed. Truthfully, I expected it to have a fair share of bugs and I didn't care as long as the game lived up to the hype. Bloodlines was buggy, TOEE, Arcanum, Fallout 1 and 2 yet they are on my greatest rpg lists EVAR!!! Bugs can be fixed. Brain dead NPCs and story lines can't be fixed no matter how many patches it comes with.

Going by that thinking they have fixed the biggest issue I had with the original and that is the story. Plus, throwing hardcore mode and companions in there doesn't hurt as well :)

I got to have this game!!!

I'm downloading it now. It's a no brainer. I played through FO3 twice and this sounds much better. The only sad thing is I was finally working my way to the end of Oblivion's main quest and now it's gonna have to wait.

Im really struggling with buying this - especially the CE since Im saving money for new car but its fallout so Ill make an exception. If it was any other game I would just skip and wait.

Eventhough it sounds great, I'll hold off until the GOTY edition that includes all the DLC.

Would be a complete waste to play this now imo, i'm holding off for as long as possible - the longer the wait the better the experience (and graphics, possibly animations) will be, at least for PC ;)

I'm glad i didnt play FO3 to death, i completed it once with some nice mods and all DLC's except the last one.. had a great time, i'm sure this will be even better.

Well I'm installing and just found out I had install steam as the DRM. I'm not very happy about that.

Steam isn't really a hassle compared to some DRM they would have used otherwise. The introduction on FNV was very good imo, the character creation was interesting as well. Happy with my purchase thus far.

Had BSd after around an hour. Totally crashed the computer and rebooted it. The game itself seems like it'll be fun though.

I'm buying this today (on the PC of course) but will hold off playing for a few months, til it gets pached and a few good mods come out. Just started arcanum and I'm still trying to finish U6P. Still have not completed Mass Effect 2 (halway through) but I lost interest. Might come back to it eventually.

Reading the GamersHell review, they state '2008 was a standup year for Fallout. However, since then, we've seen better, more refined games push those action-RPG boundaries further. '

Uhhhh WHICH more refined games? Borderlands? Dragon Age? Sorry, those really can't be compared.

Reading the GamersHell review, they state '2008 was a standup year for Fallout. However, since then, we've seen better, more refined games push those action-RPG boundaries further. '

Uhhhh WHICH more refined games? Borderlands? Dragon Age? Sorry, those really can't be compared.

Probably talking about Mass Effect 2 (reviewers think its an Action RPG for some reason) and Alpha Protocol.

Forgot about that little nugget. I was wondering the same thing. Dragon Age was a great game, but not like Fallout at all. Borderlands also good, but for entirely different reasons basically a FPS with RPG elements. Mass Effect 2? Don't make me laugh. Divinity 2 was ok, but it sure didn't redefine boundaries. Hated the dragon form mechanics of that game. Stalker Call of Pripyat had some choice and consequences in it and was a spectacular game, but once again redefining?

If he's going to say something like that then he needs to back it up with actual facts. Gamer's Hell just lost a lot of credibility in my eyes with that review.

Every other review I've come across actually takes a good look at the game itself and reviews it on that. Like the bugs are a valid point that needs to be addressed, but most praise this game for what it has done despite the bugs.

I'm kinda curious what Chris Matel was expecting. Fewer bugs, I'll give him that. Though I'm not sure what bugs he's really referring to. Granted, I played FO3 a bit more recently than most…

I seem to remember that back in the day, Fallout 2 caught similar grief for being too much like the first game, didn't it?

It feels like many reviewers these days want RPGs to "Revolutionize the Genre" by becoming less like the RPGs they are and more like the games the reviewers prefer to play.

I'm kinda curious what Chris Matel was expecting. Fewer bugs, I'll give him that. Though I'm not sure what bugs he's really referring to. Granted, I played FO3 a bit more recently than most…

I seem to remember that back in the day, Fallout 2 caught similar grief for being too much like the first game, didn't it?

It feels like many reviewers these days want RPGs to "Revolutionize the Genre" by becoming less like the RPGs they are and more like the games the reviewers prefer to play.

FO2 caught the most grief for being INCREDIBLY buggy. And many patches broke save games or often caused more problems than they fixed. I remember almost giving up on it at one point when I was well into the game, my save games were all screwed up, and the new version wouldn't load the old save games.

There was also a core group of people (many still hang out at NMA) who didn't like FO2 for breaking with the "canon" created in FO1.

Back
Top Bottom