Greed Monger: crafting focused mmo

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
My wife loves crafting in rpgs, so she zeroed in on "Greed Monger", which is all about crafting. Its funded already, but thought id post it still.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/appleton/greed-monger-a-crafting-focused-sandbox-mmorpg

Inspired by the likes of Ultima Online, Greed Monger will bring back elements of true MMORPG Gaming since been lost in the corporate watering down of this formerly exciting genre, which many of us have been missing for years such as Non-Instanced Player Housing, Rares Dealing, Sand Box Style Skill Variety and much more.

Though Free To Play, Greed Monger will be financially supported by means of a Land Ownership System whereby players will be able to purchase Land Parcels for a price of $20 each for a maximum of 4 parcels per player (Parcel Limit Not Enforced During Kickstarter Campaign Only). These parcels of land will be used by players to build their housing which they will decorate with items they craft themselves. *(Land Parcel Ownership Conditions) If a player ever decides to leave Greed Monger, they will be able to sell their Estates through our Estate Auction Service of which we will take 15% of the final sale to transfer ownership rights to another player.

Housing/Crafting Features

-Launch Day - (Nothing in the world but Land, Animals, Monsters and Nature. You will build the world around you.)
-Non Instanced Player Owned Housing (You buy the land from us, you then build whatever will fit on it.)
-Decorate Your House However You'd Like
-Every Finished Item In Greed Monger Is Player Crafted (Everything!)
-The More Land Parcels You Own, The Bigger House You Can Build
-Greed Monger Is Free To Play
-No Global Chat, Only Person To Person Above Head Chat (It's time to bring back the sense of real community MMO's used to have!)
-Player Vs. Environment Combat
-Player Vs. Player Combat
-Fast Map Travel System (Find a map on the ground left by another player and you will fast travel to their home or shop, provided you have enough food in your pack.)
- Raid Monsters (Some controlled by the Devs)
-Full Player Driven Economy (Auction system will only be used for Estate Sales. Weapons, Armor and other items will be sold person to person only.)
-Player Written Lore Based On Adventures (Amazing tales will be told and submitted by players and guilds alike. These stories may be selected as part of the official Greed Monger Cannon)

Other Game Features

-Community Events
-Regularly Added Recipes and Plans For New Item Types
-Charge Players Rent To Access Your Land (For Hunting/Harvesting Rares)
-Ages Of Time and Technology will evolve with Population and Economic Growth (Evolve into the space age as a population and you may discover a means to settle new planets! All you will be allowed to take with you is what you started the game with and that's all you'll be allowed to bring back.)
-Ever Growing Housing Style Options For Each Climate.
-Multiple Climates/Landscapes Will Be Available At Launch
-Resell Your Estate For Real Money In Our Estate Auction House
-No Micro-Transactions (GM Fully Supported From Land and Estate Sales)
-No Pre-Defined Skills Trees (Learn all the skills you'd like, but you'll only be able to use a selection of combat skills at any given time.)
-Animals/Monsters Only Drop Materials To Craft Items, Not Finished Items.

Last edited:
You can still donate via their website http://www.greedmonger.com/

Me and my wife both did the 40.oo pledge. She's maniacal when it comes to crafting in MMO's, so this is potentially a reallly good fit for her. Salem is also an upcoming crafting type mmo too, but it has all-PVP all the time, which she has no desire whatsoever for. I can agree with her on that I guess, PvP is pretty annoying.

$20.oo:
Becoming a Beta Backer is your way to support Greed Monger and receive an Exclusive Forum Badge and Guaranteed Beta Access alongside Kickstarter Backers. (This is not a game membership subscription replacement)

$40.oo:
Becoming a Beta Backer is your way to support Greed Monger and receive an Exclusive Forum Badge, Guaranteed Beta Access alongside Kickstarter Backers and your own WARHORSE! (This is not a game membership subscription replacement)

R.I.P.

The lead developer signed this over to a couple of his passionate henchmen ~7 weeks back. Just a few days ago, it was posted on the official forums that the project is dead; money basically ran out and the developers got sick of the flack they were taking for proposing to take on something smaller in scope for funding in the meantime. Link.

Hello Greed Monger Community!
A few weeks back when I left GM and then Jason signed everything over to Joel and My self we took over based on the promise of Guaranteed funding through to launch from an out side investor. Once we stepped into ownership of GM that out side investor bailed on us and we were left with no funding. We made the choice to try and develop a smaller scale game that we could get released in a much shorter time and use the funds generated to fund GM. Since those plans were leaked we have dealt with nothing but flack for it from a bunch of people. So we are faced with some choices to make. We are unable to get GM built with out funding and we are unable to get funding from developing another smaller scale game with out taking heat for doing so. Joel and My self decided to give everything back to Jason and allow him to get GM developed using his Investors he told us he had. He is refusing to take GM back from us. Therefore with no means of funding and Jason refusing to take GM back from us we are forced to admit defeat and Close GM down. The last 3 years were a great learning experience for me. I've learned a number of things about working in the Game Development Industry that I wouldn't have learned else where. This community has been great and it's been an honor working with you guys. MMOI will be back at some point and you guys will NOT be forgotten by us that is a Promise we made when I left the GM and it's a Promise I intend on fulfilling. I'm sorry things have had to end this way and will do everything in our power to make things right in the future.

A shame, it was shaping up to be a nice-looking sandbox mmo.

This is why I don't back games by small teams anymore, the potential for failure is just too high. Luckily I didn't see this 3 years ago when it was on KS as back then I didn't have that restriction, so I would have backed it... and lost the money. They asked for $30,000 and got $90,000... 3 times what they asked for, and still wasn't enough.

Back
Top Bottom