RPC - German "Role-Play Convention" June 1-2

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Alrik sends word that the German "Role-Play Convention" called RPC is about ready to start.
Role Play Convention (RPC)

A new trade fair event on the road to success.

The RPC is a young and innovative trade show format spanning the whole range of the fantastic genre. All genres (fantasy, science fiction, mystery, etc.) are represented over their whole range of applications (from board games to console games up to even LARP events) integrated into a new, holistic presentation concept:

The RPC is not a typical trade show with bright white lighting and tall white partioning walls. Instead, it plunges the guests into a fantasy world created by harmonious lighting setup, decorated playgrounds, walking acts and live events like live performed music acts

The RPC is for playing!

In addition to the stand and playing areas of the exhibitors, free available areas invite the guests to stay a while and play. The community idea (from gamers for gamers) is clearly emphasized here. The previous installations of the RPC clearly showed the great potential of including all the different branches and genres of the gaming world in one event. No other event has had so many computer gamers experiencing live action battles with padded weapons or live role-playing gamers in full costumes enthusiastically watching online tournaments for games like Warcraft III. The cross selling potential presented on the RPC brings a high number of new prospective customers in contact with the exhibitors and helps intensifying contacts to fans and existing customers.

Aside from casual gamers, the RPC explicitely adresses those gamers that consider gaming their major leisure time pursuit. The fandom represented by those guests treats authors, artists and games developers like stars and provides closer ties to the prod ucts and companies. Numerous tournaments and challenges as well as workshops and presentations run during the RPC, creating plenty of opportunities for these groups to connect and exchange with developers, companies and fellow gamers.
The RPC additionally supports non-profit projects with free available presentation areas. As an exhibitor on the RPC you have the opportunity to present yourself to a broad and versatile, yet gaming-eager audience.

RPC 2013 – Facts and figures

* Exhibitors from all branches of the fantastic genre (Fantasy, Science-Fiction, Mystery)
* Distinct event character and versatile frame program
* Location Koelnmesse – an internationally renowned trade show center
* Tremendous cross selling potential
* Product sales on site
* Large gaming and event areas
* RPC-Fantasy Award – the new gaming and media award
* Leading partners in media and a strong media coverage
More information.

Last edited:
Thank you.

What's new this year is that a part about comics was added - they seemingly copied that from the "Spiel International" in Essen, Germany, where there is a "drawer's lane", too. There you can talk to illustrators and comic artists. No big names, usually. (In Essen, sometimes yes.)

There'll be a workshop on TDE C-RPGs, too. I'll try to addend them.
Square Enix apparingly wants to show something Final Fantasy there as well.

But apart from them I couldn't recognize any international C-RPG names from the list of booths thre.

I'll try to keep you informed as good as I can.

I was just in time to chat a little bit with a fellow Star Wars fan I had met at the entrance of the room called "Workshop II" - then I wanted to enter. We parted, and decided to look out whether we'd meet again or not. (As it turned out, I didn't see him later on, but we know that we can meet on fan meetings as well - so it's no big fuzz.)

The presentation was led by Chromatrix , the TDE licence holder for TDE video games - and they give the license to build TDE games to other developers.

The first presentation was about the Remake of the game we know here in Germany as "Schicksalsklinge", translated into English (almost literally) as "Blade Of Destiny" (the German language sometimes allows to write things into 1 word).

The game is in full 3D now, with a kind of "Dungeon Master" telling things - but the worst thing for my ears was, that he left out all characters' names.

This sounded like this : "after closer inspection … could find a hidden door. However, … was not strong enough to open it."
In this spoken game master's text (with a great voice, imho !), the … is simply a pause. And that sounds quite … strange for/to me.

The only other negative point I found was the very few NPCs there - the number of NPCs in that pre-Open-Beta game was really tiny.

Apart from that : Realms Of Arcania galore ! Expect everything to be there ! - Of course a few things had to be adapted to newer times - for example there is now a message - we were told - saying that proper sleeping bags and cutlery plus dishes can vastly improve the health … A few thingfs were adapted to modern times as well - but only minor things - so expect the full assault of landscape ( 3D !), combat ( 3D !) and Micromanagement to be back there ! At least that's how I understood it.

And, of course - please don't expect AAA game quality. That just won't be there.
Simply, because a) the developer is rather small, and b) they just don't have the money of full-scale AAA productions.

The second presentation showed Memoria, the second Adventure game after Satinav's Chains. It will be completely DRM-free - but the first game will still remain bound to Steam.
I'm not sure anymore, but they could become a Trillogy - but again, I'm not sure about that anymore.

The main protagonist of this game is in fact a Tulamidian Princess. Tulamidia is located south of the Middlerealm, but north of Al'Anfa, the so-called "Plague Of The South". Al'Anfa is infamous. Decadence, slavery, you name it, they have it. The only thing that's missing there are demons. Al'Anfa is ruled by a Boron priest.

What was shown were a few riddles within that adventure - the Princess had been put into some kind of prison, and had to break out from it.
I won't spoil you how she escaped, but she had help of a few ancient Golems and a staff.
In the second scene she was again improsoned - within her own room - and she could escape, too. With the help of an elemental djinn.
The second scene took place within the famous Drakonia, an Elemental Castle, which had been re-discovered only 10 years ago, at the height of the Borbarad Crisis, when one of its members came to a council (?) of mages who were trying to battle Borbarad and his minions, presenting them thje scroll to an hitherto unknown or lost spell called fire ball in the Drakensang games. (As such, the fire ball in Drakensang 2 really shouldn't exist, because that game takes place far before the Borbarad Crisis.)

The only thing I could remember from this presentation was that her story and the story of Geron intertwine and get solved at one point (in the end, as I understood the presenter).

The third presentation was about Black Guards. You know, that "dark & gritty" TDE game.

During the third presentation, it was about Demonicon, I left the room - I was simply fed up with information. What made the choice more easy for me was the fact that we already know quite a lot about Demonicon.

The last game presented there should have been an strategy game for iDevices, if I remember correctly, but at that point I was already elsewhere.

Now, on to Black Guards.

You probably won't get more precise information on this planet, because I spoke to the producer himself. ;) But that was a while after that presentation.
In the following, I'll mix both what i saw and what I was told & shown by the producer.

There were once 4 friends. Two young men and two young women.
As a new, shown teaser trailer showed, one of the young women was killed by a wolf. She was the Count's daughter.
Her best friend, one man of the 4, was later imprisoned by the Count - because they found a bloody weapon with him, and a bloody shirt, if I remember correctly.
Not only was he put into the prison, but his best friend also tortured him - the other man from the 4.

In prison, a paranoid Dwarf tries to break free. Alone, he wouldn't have much success, so he takes the young man with him.
Later on (I wasn't told how and when), the group becomes bigger - additional members.

The team already has developed wallpepers/t-shirts with lines describing these criminals very well.

- The Magicion. Descriprion line : "Naturally horny". He likes alcohol, women, and a good life. Kind of a dandy, as I would put it.
- The Dwarf. Description line : "Anger management". The wallpeper (the only one I saw) showed the Dwarf, and behind him a giant red splash of blood. "Kill first, ask questions later". He is truly paranoid,m because he fears that a Dragon is after him.- The female Elf. Description line : "High Elf". Because she had so bad experiences in her life that she now has a split personality. She veryoften "high" = "stoned", because she constantly takes drugs - which is the only way that she can endure her misery life.
- The Protagonist.
- The Fighter. An former slave, now he's quick in killing slavers.
- The Sorceress (or how she is called). Kind of a "Femme Fatale". Her description line sounded similar, but I don't quite remember it anymore. She's the left woman from the group of 4 friends.

The producer told me that their bantering might be quite funny - but the story is in fact very dark - especially because at one point one nasty kind of "policeman" is after them. He is a bit like the fanatics you could meet hunting the witches in the first Drakensang game.

The combat is indeed turn-based and uses tiles. It is made in 3D, with kind of an isometric view (in the Blad Of Destiny remake one can zoom in, Black Guards didn't look as if this was possible).
It is sometimes possible to get help through the enviromnent (cut loose the giant chandelier to kill opponents, open other prison cells to let other prisoners let do the dirty work for you, as the producer put it).
Each party member gets "action points", and looking at just how it worked (I mean the bare system, as it looked like), it kind of reminded me of the tile set combat found in King's Bounty/Armored Princess.

The early alpha was still "riddled with bugs", as many forum entried about other games often put it ;) , meaning that the presentation found an premature end - the game simply crashed.

The reason why they wanted to do Black Guards - they started with it 2 years ago ( ! ) , was, "to do something different".

Well, that's what I can remember for now. Maybe later I'll remember a few more bits.

Oh, just 3 points :

- Deadalic changed the TDE rules a bit so that spells can have up to 4 levels.

- The fighting menu looked like a wheel - it reminded me of the wheel I remember from PS:T.

- And last : They'll be at the E3 !

Tomorrow more about the other games - not many, unfortunately.

Edit : For Blade Of Destiny, the time limit was expanced roughly by factor 2.

Before I go through my pampflets I received and took at the RPC (I'll most likelöy do that tomorrow), a few things now from yesterday & today :

- I played the first 3 levels of "Giana Sisters : Twisted Dreams". If you loved Trine, then take a look at it !

On the other hand :If you loved this Giana Sisters game, take a look at Trine !

It's such an wonderful game. :) HAh, all of these memories ! Me, playing Commander Keen, Dunke Nukum, Blues Brothers, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures (only the Shareware version, still don't have the full game) and any other jump & run game I could get hold of ! I was young ...
And now I felt young again ! :) 20 years into the past - jump & run galore ! :)
I just love this game now. :) I'll be my very first GOG buy within the next few months. ;)

After having played Giana Sisters, I believe that I should have supported this game when it was at Kickstarter. But, well, I can still support them by buying it ... ;)

Giana Sisters can be played through a controller or by keyboard - whereas we found that one of both keyboards lying before me somehow couldn't "see" 3 keys pressed at the same time - the other could. (3 keys pressed at the same time is something not really required at one point, because it can be circumvented by quickly pressing the 3rd key after releasing the other two or at least one of them - but it makes things much eastier in terms of timing the key pressings.)

I talked to several ones of the employees there. As usual, I don't remember any names - to be honest, it didn't matter much to me.

They are currently developing a co-op game called Ravensdale, and a kind of add-on to Giana Sisters.
I was told that they didn't know yet whether they'll do a second Giana Sisters game or not.

About Ravensdale I know next to nothing - and they were able to show only artwork, meaning that they are still very early into the game. The graphics I saw, however, were extremely colourful - similar to the Giana Sisters.

Regarding my hestitating to use STeam-bound games, one of the employees said that my opinion was understandable - he actually said that he had "drawn a line" with not buying anything Origin-bound (meaning Origin by Electronics Arts).

There's a new Final Fantasy MMORPG coming - and Open Beta invites were given to those who were giving in their E-Mail addresses.
Me, I decided not to participate, because FF really isn't very much my style and setting ...

Hm, okay, I think that's it for now. There are a few other games by smaller developers on my sheets & papers, but I'll sort them out tomorrow.

I wish I could of been there but my budget wont allow it.:'( Did you get a chance to see Lords of the Fallen or was it closed to everyone but the press?

Lords Of The Fallen was there, however, as uninformed as I was, I didn't recognize the title, and thus didn't play it (I don't even remember anymore whether it was playable at all), I'm sorry.

I have a sheet here, however, showing a knight's hand holding a sword, on which stands (in German language) : "make it into your story", the face book sign and then /lordsofthefallen , and www.cigames.com

Another sheet I have here is about 4 seemingly F2P games : "Order Of The Chaos", "Order Of THe Chaos : Duels", "Heroes Of Order & Chaos", "Dungeon Hunter 4". All of them are by one firm/developer called "Gameloft".

The magazine "buffed" had of course a stage and a booth there (like every year), and they have a line of photos up as well : http://www.buffed.de/Role-Play-Convention-Event-239728/News/RPC-2013-Cosplay-Fotos-1072181/

The C-RPG part on the RPC has been shrinking, in my opinion. None of the "bigger names" where there, except Square Enix.

And, of course, the RPC is rather traditionally oriented towards LARP and pen & paper role playing. For that, it was a great thing again. :)

As a side note, Mr. David Prowse, the actor who played Mr. Darth Vader, was also there, selling signed photos. This was quite a surprise to me.

The game is in full 3D now, with a kind of "Dungeon Master" telling things - but the worst thing for my ears was, that he left out all characters' names.

This sounded like this : "after closer inspection … could find a hidden door. However, … was not strong enough to open it."
In this spoken game master's text (with a great voice, imho !), the … is simply a pause. And that sounds quite … strange for/to me.

Hmm, I hope this was a placeholder thing of the alpha versionn -I hope they fill those gaps with appropriate soundbits e.g.

"after closer inspection [the dwarf / elf / warrior / wizard] could find a hidden door. However, [he/she] was not strong enough to open it."

Back
Top Bottom