Bioshock - Issues Addressed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
2K has been fast to react to various Bioshock issues and criticisms, although the solutions still won't satisfy everyone. Here is the word from Cult of Rapture:
We have been reading and listening to your frustrations over SecuROM, PC activation problems, and technical support issues since BioShock launched on Tuesday, and we've devised a plan to help.
Starting immediately, we will be upping the activation count to a 5 by 5 plan. We will be raising the maximum amount of computers a user can have BioShock installed on simultaneously from 2 to 5, and allowing a user to reinstall BioShock on each of those computers from 3 times to 5 times. Also, we have in the works a revoke tool which you will be able to run on your machine if you want to free up that key and move it to to another computer (this works very much like Steam or iTunes system). We are also working with SecuROM and 2K customer service, so that when you do need to call in support problems, you get answers to your questions faster, without much waiting or being bounced around. SecuROM has been given much more autonomy to help fix your problems quickly and effectively. I am personally sorry for anyone who got bounced around in the past couple days (I even think I contributed to this problem) and we're going to make sure that does not happen in the future.
As for other technical issues, we are bringing on a team of tech support that will be on the 2K forums 24/7 to help people resolve their technical issues. Our QA guys are in the offices and on the forums, too, reproducing issues and looking for workarounds and compiling information that they can put towards making you a patch and updating the knowledge base.
Also, we are aware that our activation server went down last night, stopping some of you from finishing your installs. The server is up and running now and we have corrected the problem that caused that crash.
Finally, we have released a FAQ, which you can view in full below (and will also be posted on the 2K Forums in the Technical Support area) that will help clear up a lot of questions and misinformation that has been floating around about SecuROM and PC activation.
And as for widescreen, we also want to say we completely understand a user's desire to augment their FOV. BioShock is a harrowing experience, but we don't want anyone to feel limited (or motion sick!). So we are in the process of working on an official PC patch to give widescreen PC users a choice to expand their horizontal FOV, and are investigating creating a similar update for the 360.
And finally, I want to personally congratulate Racer_S from the Widescreen Gaming Forums, and his awesome user patch to expand the widescreen FOV in BioShock. I'm currently tracking him down via email, but hopefully, he'll accept my gratitude, and maybe an Nvidia 8800 to boot.
Read the full technical FAQ.
In other news...
More information.

Well, thats a decent response, as far as I can tell. None of the usual stonewalling, but an honest attempt to resolve issues.

By "...and allowing a user to reinstall BioShock on each of those computers from 3 times to 5 times", do they mean one has to leave it installed on the computer after, for example, uninstalling it to make room for something else four times, otherwise it can never be played again?

Oh well, it's currently moot for me anyway. Darned SM3.0 only stuff, and aging computer.

Dyne please don't forget to sign the SM 2.0 petition, or anyone else for that matter. :)
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2515

Btw the team has announed today they have rewritten the Shader Code for 2.0 but they hare haveing the issues with long load times and the Team also reports that have made contact with 2K/Irrational. :)

I have it installed on 2 computers atm and no problems. Well just one - the sound kinda fecks up on the vista machine but you can solve that with a quick save and reload the game.

Edit: Ofc that could be the soundblaster drivers or Vista itself (not surprising).

I am glad to see how quickly and seriously they are taking this stuff. Most of it I think is pretty typical internet over-reaction, whining and entitlement, but the whole issue of DRM and game 'ownership' is very important and it just isn't clear where it will all go.

On the widescreen thing, I actually captured the same view using three resolutions and posted it here.

The viewable area in 4:3 is remarkably better. I now can see why everyone was screaming "cropped!" Thanks for that upload.

The viewable area in 4:3 is remarkably better. I now can see why everyone was screaming "cropped!" Thanks for that upload.

I couldn't believe it when I looked at it on my screen - because I would never have even thought about it if I hadn't heard the uproar. I was just happily moving along at my 16:10 res ...

On the widescreen thing, I actually captured the same view using three resolutions and posted it here.

I don't see any pictures, just words.

Also: Are you taunting the poor, deprived Mac owners of the world who can't partake of our Bioshockish DRM delights?

I don't see any pictures, just words.

Also: Are you taunting the poor, deprived Mac owners of the world who can't partake of our Bioshockish DRM delights?

Hmmm ... I can see it in Safari & Firefox on Mac and FireFox and IE6 on PC.

As for the Mac thing ... I am showing that I am 'platform diverse' to use the politically correct term :D I love the Mac tools for image, video and DVD creation, the new versions are just sublime.

This isn't good enough and will probably signal the start of a pattern. I don't want 5 I want unlimited. I don't like crippleware. If this were a multiplayer game they'd have an argument but it's not.

Either way, I'm not buying this game for sure now.

Last edited:
Well, I don't mean to be mean to people who do have legit issues with Bioshock (please be assured of my deepest sympathy and condolences :) ) BUT just so it doesn't seem that this game is drowning in a sea of shit, I'd like to add a positive note by saying that I got my Euro CE in the mail today, installed, activated, played.
Not having multiple systems and not having a widescreen display might have helped but this game does actually work just in case anyone was beginning to completely doubt it would work at all. It does :biggrin: .

Hmmm ... I can see it in Safari & Firefox on Mac and FireFox and IE6 on PC.

IE works (which I only use for insecure, cookie-riddled internal devices), but Firefox 1.0.6 does not. Presumably your sight only recognizes the latest, greatest revs for Firefox.

IE works (which I only use for insecure, cookie-riddled internal devices), but Firefox 1.0.6 does not. Presumably your sight only recognizes the latest, greatest revs for Firefox.
Oh the wonders of browser compatibility issues ...

Back
Top Bottom