Space Pirates and Zombies - Released, Demo Available

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Yes, the name is silly but Space Pirates and Zombies (SPAZ) has much more depth than you'd guess from the title (and the "zombies" are quite a good mechanic). I've spent a (very) little time with it and for those who like indie free-roaming space-traders with RPG elements, this is well worth a look - it's very action-y but also very deep. A demo is available from the official site and you can also pick it up from the developer and most digital vendors, such as Steam, Direct2Drive, GamersGate and Impulse:
As a layer on top of the action and tactics, we have a detailed technology and levelup system akin to what you would expect from an RPG. Learn to build new ships by destroying your enemies. Explore the galaxy to find components, use your hard earned research points to unlock their potential, and then customize every aspect of your new fleet.
Finally, there is the universe in which all this strife and adventure takes place. SPAZ features a persistent randomly generated Galaxy populated with story elements, factions, enemies, missions, items, to provide you with a unique experience each time you play. While you are struggling to survive, uncover the secret of an ever expanding Zombie infestation that spreads by establishing its own real time multi-tiered ecosystem.
Key features:
  • 33 ships to research, build, outfit and pilot.
  • 70 unique components to discover and customize your fleet’s performance.
  • Totally physics based combat system.
  • Fight Zombie infestations, battling a full zombie ecosystem comprising four stages of un-life.
  • Explore a persistent randomly generated galaxy containing hundreds of star systems.
  • Freedom to explore the galaxy and take on challenges at your own pace.
  • Aid, flee, or exploit the warring factions in each star system.
  • The unique event system lets the player change the balance of power in any star system
  • Carefully spend your hard earned research points on hundreds of upgrades across 15 categories.
More information.

It's a fun game that I've spent way too much time playing, but it's absolutely nothing like star flight. It's a 2d space shooter, but one where you have a space station that warps around with you from sector to sector and you have to manage your resources, develop new technologies, things like that. You have multiple ships at once, some of which are AI controlled and if one dies you can just rebuild it at a resource cost and it will show up again to the same battle with a time delay. So in a sense you are really playing the space station more then the individual ship, because the only way to lose is if the space station blows up, which is rare.

The story is not awful but nothing special, and your actions can effect an individual sector, but they don't follow you from sector to sector. So it's mostly just a game of having fun with lots of new ship and weapon combinations that you steadily research/buy/capture. There is a lot to play with and the space combat is well done.

Don't like the sound of zombies, but I've not played a top-down space game since Space Rangers 2, so will try the demo.

The "zombies" are just alien parasites capable of infecting and controlling hosts.

Not just yet. I've been obsessed with Masters of Mana a modmod of Fall From Heaven 2. Don't have any doubt though that this one is on my must buy list. After a patch or two I'll grab it and let you know how much fun "zombies in space" is :)

"zombies in space"

I had just the mind "flash" of an imagination of zombies standing in the control room of a huge starship and flying it with their awkward movements (especially on the steering wheel/other devise !) and with their ununderstandable mutterrings klike … "… Brains …"

Not quite like the Enterprise being commanded by rotten Zombies … But yes, going into that direction … ;)

I played all the way through this as I awaited, weathered, and celebrated the departure of Irene. Leaving in a pretty central part of NYC, I was spared much threat of power outage but everything was closed so there wasn't much to do but play video games. Which was sweet. Anyway yeah it's nothing like Starflight and it's very repetitive but with its upgrades and new ships to unlock it was addictive enough to keep me playing. Plus it's fun to blow stuff up.

Very well worth $15.

Back
Top Bottom