New Wizardry 8 Mod

DoddTheSlayer

Watchdog
Well newish that is.
I made it last year and had it beta tested and it has been played long enough by the community i made it for to iron out all the bugs.
I call it DoddTheSlayer_1.2
There is a readme file with the mod that will tell you of all the changes to the game.
I used the cosmic forge editor created by MadGod to do this mod and since then there have been many new abilities added to this editor not least of which is the ability to create new locations.
I light of this i have been working on version 2.0 for some time now and it should be ready in a few months.

For now though here are the links for my latest mod of Wizardry 8:

DoddTheSlayer_1.2_Normal http://www.mediafire.com/?zhj1ygzitcd
DoddTheSlayer_1.2_Expert http://www.mediafire.com/?njfuu0ie1jg

Also here are some screenshots of the up and coming version 2.0

Http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/4126/image4ap6.jpg
Http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/5117/image3qk3.jpg
Http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/9761/image2ft9.jpg
Http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/3339/image1sc4.jpg
Http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7351/image5xl1.jpg
Http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7429/image6qb1.jpg
Http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/533/image7cx0.jpg

Don't worry, when he sees Wiz8 in the title of any thread, he'll right in there instantly!! :)

he is not the only wiz8 lover here :p I can't open the screens :( :( :( what is wrong?!?!?

Strange. Just click on the links.

I Left out that this mod is self-extracting, but you do neeed to have a standard installation ie C:\Programme files\Sirtech and the Wizardry 8 folder should not be renamed.
If both these conditions are met then just clicking the Wizardry 8 exe file will unpack everything into the correct folders without your altering the path.

GothicGothicness. If you cant open the screens then check if you have an ipg viewer that is set to open such files by default.
If you can open up an ipg image anywhere on the net then you shuld be able to open those links.

I know how to open a pic, the link is all dead as in "This page cannot be displayed"

They are all working for me. Not just on this site but on the others i posted them.
Plus one other poster above said that the screenshots are cool, so the links cannot be dead.
Maybe try a different brouser or copy and pate the link directly to your address bar.
Sorry if this insults your intelligence, but i do not know you and so i make no assumpions that you must allready know something.

Any chance of summarising the changes to the game here? I assume it changes the original game, rather than being a stand-along mod?

The links worked fine for me yesterday.

Will your self-extract work for us heathen Americans that don't spell "Program" correctly?

looks like imageshack was overloaded, after about 15 refresh, I could get through. looks good :)

I would also like to know more about the changes!

Well if you dowload the mod which is only 12mb packed (37mb unpacked) The readme file will tell you more than i can reasonably fit in a small reply.

But i give you a small list here.

1: New monsters with new skins
2: Extended Storyline
3: New npc quest givers to support extended storyline
4: Reconfigured monster generators and monster toughness for more challenging battles battles.
5: Some new terrain graphics, but only for Arnika at this time.
6 New NPC custon item makers.

The purpose of this mod is twofold.

1: To extend the storyline and through new quests.
2: To make the battles challenging right throughout the game even up to level 50
because normally the game becomes too easy after level 20 and there is no longer reason to further develop your party.

I should warn you that magic is scarce in this game as certain things are now only available via generated traders which means that sometimes they are there and sometimes not.
For that reason the readme file contains info on their locations. This is a necessary spoiler.

Let me know if you want more.

Ps. Have you played Deathstalkers or any of Flamestrykes mods ? Or indead any mod for Wiz8 before

Last edited:
The links worked fine for me yesterday.

Will your self-extract work for us heathen Americans that don't spell "Program" correctly?

You don't need to be able to sell program. You just need to install the original game the way it wants to install without any kind of re-direction. It will automatically install as a program file.

You can always get back to me here if anything goes wrong. Do so rather than by private message so that such issues are then resolved for everyone else too.

Thanks. That's the kind of info I was looking for - I shall give the mod a go when I get a spare moment!

[I imagine you'll probably get a lot more people trying your mod out if they can find out what they're downloading *before* they commit to downloading it, even if it is only 12MB]

Any chance of summarising the changes to the game here? I assume it changes the original game, rather than being a stand-along mod?

Not sure what you mean. You add the the mod to the original game and it is still recognisable as wizardry 8 with all the original quest, npc's and storyline.

There is much in the game that is hard-coded and many things which are not that must still be left alone for the game to even work.
For example you can remove any npc or monster from the game by using the editor, but if you remove an npc that is tied in with one of the original quests then you are going to get crashes.
Sometimes you don't even have to go that far. I got a crash simply by changing an NPC's location
So you have to stay within may confines to create a mod, and yet that which is possible has the capacity to fundamentally change the gaming experiece of Wiz 8 fans
My next release version 2.0 will have 4 new locations in it and i am currently standing at 192mb for the unpacked mod as opposed to the 37mb for this one i have given you the links for.
So that gives you some idea of the magnitude of the changes that you can expect.

I have a VERY small C partition and all my games are kept on a D partition/drive. Does that mean the mod won't install/work for me?

Looks very nice ... was planning to replay Wiz 8 soon - brought the disks but am running out of time in the hotel ... but thanks for sharing!

I have a VERY small C partition and all my games are kept on a D partition/drive. Does that mean the mod won't install/work for me?

If your game is installed on D:\Program files\Sirtech and you are running your computer on that drive then the mod will find it without your needing to redirect the path before clicking install.
It does not matter what drive you have the game installed on as long as you are running that drive when you install the mod.
WinRar by default selects the drive that you are running on.

C just has my OS and major, non-gaming progs like Office!!

I think you can tell winrar where to extract your files if you open it with winrar.

It is great to see WIZ8 modding can't wait for the bigger version!!

Back
Top Bottom