Ultima 7

Steinawarjar

Sentinel
I just bought Ultima 7 from GOG today. I figured I had to try it, but I've run into a bit of a problem (and I suspect it's a dumb one).

So here goes. I can't figure out how to use the key to open the blacksmith's chest in Trinsic. Yeah, that's how far I got... Anyway, I figured out how to eat and feed my party members. That includes Spark; I've done the dialogue with him about the key and all that. So I went to his house to open the chest. Based on how I used food I figured I should double click the key and then click the chest, but nothing happens. How am I supposed to do it?

It sounds like you are doing things right. Double click on the key and the cursor should change. Now click on the chest. Are you sure that you are using the right key? You might have picked up another key somewhere else.

Also, are you playing with or without Exult? I would recommend using Exult, for one very simple reason: It adds a keyring.

Not only do you need a keyring, but there was a 'feature' in the original where keys would disappear when you rested. Not sure if that was ever fixed in all versions!!

Haha, yeah… I was trying to use another key. I had the right one in my belt!

I'm installing Exult right now, but I have another question. My party members keep asking for food all the time. Is there some clever way of knowing who wants to eat? I've been trying to look at who's closest to the dialogue, but I'm not sure if that really works.

well, maybe if you play for the firs time it might still be better to play without exhult...

well, maybe if you play for the firs time it might still be better to play without exhult…

In what way do you mean? For the original experience?

Actually, I am playing it without Exult right now. I installed it and tried to play around with the configurations, but Iolo kept moving around like he had a hiccup or something and that was really damn annoying, so I went back to the vanilla version.

Yes, there are still some bugs in exhult and combat won't work exactly the same as in the original.

The keys is not a huge problem if you arrange your inventory cleverly :)

Yes, there are still some bugs in exhult and combat won't work exactly the same as in the original.

The keys is not a huge problem if you arrange your inventory cleverly :)

It still makes actually using the keys a hassle, as you'll end up with a lot of keys, and you need to figure out which one is used on what door/container. With the keyring it will automatically use the right key, thus saving a lot of hassle.

Well, after you have used the key you can just drop it next to the door / chest you used it for.. no need to keep the keys in inventory after they are used.

Well, after you have used the key you can just drop it next to the door / chest you used it for.. no need to keep the keys in inventory after they are used.

Still... I wanna hug Garriott for that gameplay element. "Vanishing keys? Not in Britannia!"

I tried playing U7 without Exult, but I just couldn't do it. I can't stomach the 320x200 resolution.

Does that mean you weren't scaling it in DosBOX or that you set it in Exult to show more of the world than you would see in the original?

Does that mean you weren't scaling it in DosBOX or that you set it in Exult to show more of the world than you would see in the original?

I don't think I've ever played U7 in DosBox to be honest. I know the GOG version uses DosBox but it's already configured. Iirc, I was playing in true 640x400 in Exult.

I don't think I've ever played U7 in DosBox to be honest. I know the GOG version uses DosBox but it's already configured. Iirc, I was playing in true 640x400 in Exult.

I played it for a while in DosBox using the x3 scaler. Looked pretty good, but there are somethings that DosBox just doesn't handle (like the rumbling when the Isle of Fire shows up). I too though prefer the bigger screen space of a true higher resolution, even if it has the potential to screw things up. (that and the other additions of Exult are hard to live without these days)

It works fine in DOSBox and looks great with the proper scaling. Keychain is unnecessary, especially if you acknowledge that inventory management using containers (and containers inside containers) is an "interesting" feature of this game.

If someone wants my DOSBox configuration, let me know. I can post it as code here. Disclaimer: this was for a version of DOSBox was a few years back.

I played it for a while in DosBox using the x3 scaler. Looked pretty good, but there are somethings that DosBox just doesn't handle (like the rumbling when the Isle of Fire shows up). I too though prefer the bigger screen space of a true higher resolution, even if it has the potential to screw things up. (that and the other additions of Exult are hard to live without these days)

Yeah, I heard that playing in a higher resolution could result in some glitches. Did you ever experience any yourself? Also, have you ever completed a full playthrough In Exult?

Back
Top Bottom