The Chosen - Now Available

Dhruin

SasqWatch
For those looking for a hack'n'slash fix, Rebelmind's The Chosen: Well of Souls is now available:
The Chosen: Well of Souls Ships to Stores and Online Outlets
Take on Legions of Infernal Beasts in Rebelmind and Meridian4’s Action Role-Playing Game
MONTREAL, Quebec, Canada – October 1, 2007 – Dungeon crawlers, grab your weapons and get ready for battle! Meridian4 announced today that Rebelmind’s PC action-RPG, The Chosen: Well of Souls, has shipped to stores across North America, and is available now at various digital-distribution outlets. The Chosen: Well of Souls carries a suggested retail price of $19.99.
Choose your hero and journey forth in the ultimate action role-playing quest that pits you against an army of demons and devils like no other. Hellbent and determined to take over the world, the powerful sorcerer Marcus Dominus Ingens has recruited the souls of ancient alchemists to aid in his destruction. Get ready for an unparalleled action role-playing experience that combines gruesome, action-packed battles with a deep, involving storyline set at the turn of the 19th century. For many years the Mystery Guards Fraternities have trained hunters to fight Evil. Hard-bitten, well trained in magic and alchemy, they traverse the world fighting against the powers of darkness. Now, the mightiest have returned to face Marcus’s army of infernal beasts. The life of God’s Envoy and the world order are at stake. Who will be The Chosen?
“The Chosen: Well of Souls is a value-packed game that should appeal to action-RPG fans everywhere,” said Steve Milburn, Director at Meridian4. “Rebelmind has delivered an addictive experience that will have you using swords, axes, pistols and even machine guns to take out the onrushing hordes of werewolves, vampires and demons well into the night.”
Draw your sword against evil to save your people’s souls and the future of your world!
Features of The Chosen: Well of Souls include:
* 3 original playable characters, each with their own distinct skills and abilities
* Over 200 different types of armour, weapons and magic items
* Over 12 blood-curdling quests with hordes of werewolves, zombies, vampires and demons
* Modify skills and allocate experience to develop your hero
* Seizing demons during battle allows you to use them to fight for you
* Improve weapons strength and effectiveness through ancient magic
* Call upon mystical creatures to help battle the forces of evil
For more information about The Chosen: Well of Souls, visit http://www.meridian4.com/games/TheChosen.
Since the digital distribution outlets aren't specified, I'll link to the excellent TotalGaming.net for anyone interested.More information.

i downloaded it an hour or two ago and have been playing it since. it is awesome wicked, and at aprrox. 13 dollars you can't go wrong. i didn't really have high hopes for it at all either. but so far it slays two worlds, blood magic, and silverfall demos that i've played within the last year. the graphics are very detailed and atmospheric. the music is superb. the voice acting...well lets not talk about that;) but the gameplay oh man this is exactly what i want from a action/hack&slash rpg. i'm playing the hunter which means bows and guns, because we all know its more fun to kill zombies, werewolfs etc with things that go boom. the skill system is similar to diablo, titan quest, dungeon siege but maybe not as detailed. the item crafting is unique and a wonderful innovation. items can get worn and broken but instead of tossing them or selling them for pennies you can use regular items in the crafting system. want to make your gun last longer (more durable) combine it with an old shield and slap down a fee (which by the way can be reducing by tossing in either a healing or mana potion) and you have a longer lasting boomstick. sometimes there's a trade of as in adding a sword to another sword increases the damage but also lowers its durabilty.

its a solo player but after the first level you get two summons (can use one at any time) that are a hulking golem and a flying pee shooter. whats nice is they can be summoned or sent away at any time and if they ever die you can revive them with a special scroll that costs a decent amount. but for the few minutes i've played with the golem its awesome at smaking around werewolves that pop from hiding in bushes. there's no spawning in the game and each level actually has a finite amount of enemies that when all are gone you get an extra stat point. what's also nice about the summons is they too level up with use so i imagine sticking to one has its benifits which would only seem to come in to play with the mage class as that would be your hybrid class.

get this game, or at least play the demo if it ever is released!

update:
there seems to be a free trial on the website
http://www.meridian4.com/games/TheChosen/index.html

Last edited:
I have never been able to get their "free trials" to work. Anyone?

i believe the download program accessesyour internet connection so perhaps your firewall is blocking it.

I'm playing it too and also finding it a better game than I expected. Having a lot of fun with it so far. Reminds me of Bela Lugosi's Dracula, lost in the Carpathians and surrounded by the Undead.

Good times. :)

Last edited:
Oh and I'd like to mention... (I suppose that is also what curiously undead meant as well) If you buy it from totalgaming.net its only 13$ (2 tokens) instead of 19.95$. All you have to do is buy a pack of 10 tokens and then order the game with them instead of paying 19.95$ directly. I didnt even realise that Meridian4 was from Montreal area heh until just now. I'll deffinately give it a try and encourage the local companies :p.

Good thought, but I turned my firewall off to try it (I know, bad me). But I'm glad that you're having fun, sounds like a good distraction.

Ok, just got done playing about 20-30 minutes each of Blood Magic and The Chosen demos.

Blood Magic was pretty much crap imo, just another top-down\isometric action-rpg with annoying camera angles. Why are devs still making games with mouse only movement controls?

The Chosen seemed to be a bit better, but I don't share Curiously undead's enthusiasm over it. Yet another point & click action game. If you could move the camera to 3rd person and allow keys to control movement it becomes a lot better imho. Not bad for a low budget title, but it doesn't hold up against Two Worlds, and I'm not really that big on Two Worlds either.

Hmm, I don't share your presumption that overhead cameras are inherently bad. It depends on the game but often I prefer a tactical overhead view. NWN2 is a good example - I'm not at all interested in the character view or whatever it's called.

I purchased this game also and while it is fun, I think the fact that all the skills are the same except only one or two that are different for each character will kill replayability, at least for me. There should have been far more different skills for each character. The atmosphere is great, but the voice acting is truly awful.
All in all though, about what I expected for the price.

Hmm, I don't share your presumption that overhead cameras are inherently bad. It depends on the game but often I prefer a tactical overhead view. NWN2 is a good example - I'm not at all interested in the character view or whatever it's called.

I think you misunderstood. I have nothing against overhead\isometric view in general, some of my favorite games use it, ie: Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.

I just don't really like it in action-rpgs combined with a mouse-only control system.

Is it really better than the absolutely awful spacehack?

[EDIT]
The $13 is an illusion as you have to fork over $70 to totalgaming.net to hold hostage for tokens, and they really don't have $70 of worthy games IMO, so, IMO, the REAL price is $20 which is still fair IF it's really a MUCH better game than spacehack was.

yes you can save or load anywhere. not only that after the first level you can transport back to your base at anytime which means you don't have to worry about running out of room in your inventory.

@JDR--did you notice you can control the camera with WASD or the mouse? The point and click action actually has a little more function than some games of this type--you can use the terrain and being maneuverable really helps--but then I don't like using WASD for movement. :) The camera view is pretty typical for action rpgs, same as Diablo, Titan Quest, etc and there was none of that annoying 'can't see what's coming next' as in Silverfall--if there's an ambush, it's on purpose-- so it wasn't a problem for me.

Icefire has a good point about the skill system though. It's very limited.

It's a very linear game, but I think well done in a lot of choices--no constant respawning grind, not too much loot. not too much red-sauce swilling, not too easy, not too hard. It's not the game of the century, for sure, but it's fun for what it is.

Based on Curedead's praise I'm downloading the Free Trial now. But just as I did so AVG jumped up with an alert I've never seen before. A file tries to download to the temp directory and it says its adware: Win32:Adware-gen.

I'm not sure if the file is actually downloading. Downloads just says its starting. Can anyone tell what this file is? Is it legit malware or is this a false positive?

I know a number of people here have AVG for an antivirus as well. Did no one else get the same problem?

Attachments

• Adware1.JPG
    Adware1.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Adware2.JPG
    Adware2.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 5
  • Adware3.JPG
    Adware3.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Adware4.JPG
    Adware4.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 3
cutterjohn

Well I guess in such a case wether they have games worth playing or not is a matter of opinion. Space Rangers II, Galactic Civilizations (I, II and Dark Avatar), Gods LoI, Disciples II, Port Royale etc... And there's also some less known and even indies rpg such as Aveyond.

Personally I havent had any problem finding games worth my money there, really depends which games are your cup of tea. Im a bit biased though I guess, I was quite vocal in some places against some DRM schemes such as starforce and what not and back then when I learned of tgnet/stardock not using any I guess I was sold to them then :p.

G.

(Note for those who havent tried space rangers 2 I suggest you do :p really liked that one.... Oh and yeah the Voice Acting in The Chosen is truly horrible, the rest seems fun enough so far.)

Back
Top Bottom