Germanwings plane crash

zahratustra

SasqWatch
At least it suggests that there is no safety problem with the aircraft, which could jeopardise others.

I don't think it was terrorism, I'd think if he was a terrorist he would have tried to hit some big building with the plane to maximize casualties. Probably just mental illness.

Well, something smells very fishy about this. According to sources the suspected person, had a pause in his training where "They have no clue what he did" after that he returned to finish his training.

Might have a perfectly normal explanation but I guess more information will be out about him soon.

Remember that this is an early story that all the news agencies are jumping on. We won't know if it is actually true for some time still. Even the more truthful news places do clickbait nowadays.

The 28-year old Co-Pilot consciously locked out the pilot and consciously steered the aircraft into the ground.

That's all we know so far.

He seemingly wasn't any terrorist (at least he was never on any lists, the press says), so everyone is currently clueless about his motifs.

He was a member of an air plane sports club, and his greatest desire was to become a pilot. He indeed flew quite a lot, and gliders and smaller aircraft in the beginning.

Well, something smells very fishy about this. According to sources the suspected person, had a pause in his training where "They have no clue what he did" after that he returned to finish his training.

Yes, indeed. I suspect that he had had training by terrorists.

Whole Germany is in shock right now.

At least it suggests that there is no safety problem with the aircraft, which could jeopardise others.

right. its difficult to sell airplanes after they crash for some reason. its good thing it was cleared to fly only one day after it was grounded.

/cynic in me

edit: it reminds me of the Egypt Air crash where the NTSB blamed the co-pilot just because during the dive he yelled out for "Allah".

Last edited:
Black humour, *really* black humour :

This reminds me of "Stan's previously owned coffins" …

Strange and disturbing, this, reminds me of the Malaysian triple-seven incident. I hope we'll get a clearer picture of the reason behind it.

I think if it had been an act of terrorism, someone would by now have claimed the "honor" of being responsible for it.

pibbur who at the moment doen't like flying, but for completely different reasons.

All we know right now is what he did. The search for reasons behind his deeds remained fruitless so far.

All Germany is in shock. Even more than yesterday.

In fact, had it been a "mere" accident, it would have been so much easier to cope with it.
But knowing that one consciously decided to take the lives of so many people with him into death is … beyond any kind of humanity.
Consequently, the only name I can give him right now is "the monster" (which I had picked up from other comments already), because, in my opinion, what he did was just inhuman.
I can understanbd people wanting to perform suicide - but taking the lives of so many people with one as well into death ? Unbelievable. Not understandable. Unforgiveable. Inhuman. Insane. Monstrous.
I guess that I won't be able to sleep much tonight. The monstrosity of this deed is just too much for me.

It may not be a matter of monstrous evil. If he were mentally ill, in a psychotic state, he could have been hearing voices and deeply believing all sorts of bizarre paranoid delusions. It could very plausibly be matter of tragic illness, not murder. One man I dealt with wouldn't let the doctor get near him, because he believed he was a meteorite.

Don't pilots (among other professions) have to undergo psychiatric and psychological evaluations?

They do, but these things are far from perfect in the real world. If you're interested, this is a documentary called The Doctor Who Hears Voices. It gives an idea of what sometimes goes on. http://youtu.be/ty2P14oETBs

I will check it out Ripper. Not tonight but I will :)

Terrible tragedy. A single lapse of protocol (only one person in cabin) and it allows some suicidal jerk to cause so much loss. If there's one good thing in all this, it's that he didn't take the plane down into a town.

The danger of a situation like this is that it gets us closer to a Minority Report kind of world. The masses will desire a safety that can never be guaranteed, but out of a desire to placate them, people will start getting discriminated again while having done nothing wrong. "Oh, he is a loner. Oh, he is depressed. Oh, he just had a nasty divorce. He is a time bomb that could go off at any moment and I will deny him the job." Or with big data and things like Facebook which now attempts to determine people's suicidal tendencies based on their posts. The implications of this are very scary.

Terrible tragedy. A single lapse of protocol (only one person in cabin) and it allows some suicidal jerk to cause so much loss. If there's one good thing in all this, it's that he didn't take the plane down into a town.

There was no lapse Drithius. Most of the airlines allow one of the pilots to leave cockpit during the flight for a short period of time. After all, there is no toilet there.

No one would crash a plane like this on purpose without having serious mental issues. If you want to hate someone because they're in pain and can't act like a normal human being, that's understandable - because the tragedy of the victims compels you to find a source and a guilty party.

That makes YOU feel better, but it won't change anything for the victims - and it won't change that no one would do this on purpose without serious mental issues.

Of course, we still can't know what happened - but it does seem like a thing done on purpose.

The current situation is that everyone suspects an "extended suicide", and that he had been ill of some sorts. Possible some pschological illness.

Others point out that this drama would had not been that severe if the Co-Pilot hadn't been able to completely lock out the pilot.

The technical instrumentarium which was developed post 9/11 to keep terrorists out now kept the legitimate pilot out.

Additionally, German airplanes never had that rule so far that always 2 crew members had to be in the cockpit at the same time., Only now his is changed. Apparingly security people were never able to imagine such a situation as it has indeed occurred.

Its difficult to understand how anyone could do something like this. A suicide is one thing, but to take all those innocent lives with you… Thats quite an evil deed or work of a very mentally unstable person.

Sadly situations like these can't be entirely avoided. It may be quite imposible to predict when someone is going to flip out. Yearly medical can only weed out the most obvious cases. Now that cockpits have been firmly secured, there is no way of getting there if a pilot or a co-pilot decides to do something like this.

According to the papers, the older pilot went only to take a piss and while doing so his co-worker does something like this. Poor sod had no way of knowing…

Back
Top Bottom