The word "Vigilant", where did it go?

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
This is, of course, an absoluttely pointless thing to discuss, but it just hit me as I just heard the word recently - where did vigilant heroes, people, descriptions, tales etc go in RPGs? In older games, I seem to recall hearing about vigilant this and that all the time, now it's either epic, heroic or noble, mostly epic.

I miss the word, and the variety of terms and language in games. It seems to me that language in RPGs has been simplified, it's less "fantasy novel" and more "you could hear Bruce Willis say this". Don't get me wrong, I love Die Hard, but the dialogue is fairly unfitting in a fantasy setting.

So, what do you think? Has this actually changed or is it just me? It might just be me, as I tend to compare everything to Baldur's Gate 2, hehe.

Well, we here at the Watch are trying to be Vigilant!! :)

The word vigilant means 'steadfast' or 'watchful' or similar. If you had a lookout and told them to remain vigilant, it implies you want them to remain alert and not nod off... :)

Oh yes! I am playing NWN2 now, hoping to see some more "old gaming language" in this one than most other games today. Oblivion and Gothic 3 for instance have Hollywood-Blockbuster style dialouge. Noone is ever vigilant or noble there.

I remember the signature of a member of Revolution in the forums there, the company that made the "Broken Sword" series of Adventures.
His signature simply read : "Be vigilant."

Back
Top Bottom