Divinity II: DKS - DRM Removal Patch Available

Not on Steam, apparently.

My game just de-activated.

Fuck you Larian?

It worked on Steam for me. I just replaced the Divininty2.exe in the \Steam\SteamApps\common\divinity ii - dragon knight saga\bin directory with the Larian one. I had already played 84 hours and beat both Ego Draconis and the expansion so even if it had messed up it wouldn't have really mattered. I just loaded an old save and it worked fine, nothing de-activated. I ran Divinity2.exe directly and didn't even need Steam running to play, so it looks like it might have removed the Steamworks DRM requirement too.

As far as I know, the game has never required Steam to run. This happens when I run the Divinity2.exe from the directory as well. It's the Securom activation bullshit. What I'm saying is, they haven't distributed this to Steam users despite saying they have.

We have distributed it to Steam - it always takes some time before updates become available on Steam, but I expect they'll deploy it next week, so if you're playing it on Steam, you don't really need to use the patch. We didn't make that clear enough - we'll fix it early next week.

I'm just annoyed at the timing of my Securom deactivation, I guess.

Last edited:
Typical of internet forums….

A company comes forward with a patch to drop the DRM on a product of theirs, to improve the quality-of-life of their customers, and still, the customer complain even not knowing if its their fault, the publisher fault or the developer itself, but just in case lets complain on a public forum saying its the developer fault, the one that had the original idea of actualy improving the product.

Crazy world we live in.

A company comes forward with a patch to drop the DRM on a product of theirs, to improve the quality-of-life of their customers, and still, the customer complain even not knowing if its their fault, the publisher fault or the developer itself, but just in case lets complain on a public forum saying its the developer fault, the one that had the original idea of actualy improving the product.

Crazy world we live in.

I couldn't agree more with this post. I think it's nice from Larian to even release this patch, yes it's not early and no it's not really needed, but nevertheless it's very nice.

Crazy world we live in.

Well said. And a certain person should have used his brain before complaining on at least two internet forums.

Which brain ?

Its the internet people complain and are obnoxious its not new. The patch works fine for me.

I went to play the game I paid for and it was de-activated by Securom the day they announced a patch to remove said DRM. I am being fair- they failed at distributing the patch to the digital distributor that I'm sure a vast majority of their customers bought their game through. It is not my fault at all that they didn't do this and as a customer who paid for their product that I currently do not have proper access to, I have a right to complain about it. If you got locked out of a game the way I did, you'd probably be upset too.

I still haven't received the patch through Steam. If I was to drop the EXE over top of the one in my Steam folder and for whatever reason Steam decides to validate my files it'll re-download the DRM'd file and I'll get locked back out. Since this entire scenario has soured me on the game somewhat, I'll just ignore the problem from here on out and eventually they'll send out the patch to their customers properly.

Last edited:
I guess Steam is who you should blame, because of their funneling.

I assume they check things before they let them loose for release.

And I also assume that they wouldn't like it if *anyone* would bypass them.

You're ignorant. This has nothing to do with Steam. I still don't have the patch, by the way. Who's holding it up? Larian or Focus?

I still haven't received the patch through Steam.

This implies that you have bought it through Steam

Who distributed the game ? Steam
Who is the implicite DRM for this game ? Steam.
Who has the hands on the game's binaries ? Steam.
Who should therefore be asked ? Steam.

Do you really believe Steam would allow Larian to set Steam's implicite DRM out of effect ?

In order for a patch to be received by steam users first the patch has to be produced by the developer, then sent to steam and then distributed by steam (they have their own approval procedure before distributing stuff). So as long as we do not know positively, in which of these stages the patch is, we can't decide, whom to blame.
Edit: And since Lar said above, that it was handed to steam, in fact the probability is very high, that you have to blame steam (except they discovered a bug in the patch during their QA, which seems unlikely).

This implies that you have bought it through Steam

Who distributed the game ? Steam
Who is the implicite DRM for this game ? Steam.
Who has the hands on the game's binaries ? Steam.
Who should therefore be asked ? Steam.

Do you really believe Steam would allow Larian to set Steam's implicite DRM out of effect ?

Your post shows a lack of knowledge on the subject. Larian or Focus is holding this up. Valve is not. There is no Steamworks in the Divinity 2.exe. None. Nothing that calls Steam. There is no Steam-based DRM in the application. At all.

Geez, Darkling, bring it down a notch. Lar said the patch had been handed to Steam and Larian QA told you on their forums how to use the file manually or wait for Steam's distribution. You have your answers.

Back
Top Bottom