U.S. patent office declares 'the Steve Jobs patent' entirely invalid

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I'm putting this under the politics section as it deals with flawed laws and the government. I bet no one saw this coming.

For the second time in less than two months, the United States Patent and Trademark Office has issued a first Office action tentatively declaring a key Apple multitouch patent invalid. Usually apple always wins there cases against company's who infringe on there supposed patents.

Many here know that the patent system is flawed and corrupt anyway but I will let the story speak for itself. Apple still hasn't responded as I'm sure there foaming at the mouth that there money doesn't buy everything.

Link-http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/12/us-patent-office-declares-steve-jobs.html

12-12-03%2BUSPTO%2BFOA%2B%2527949%2Bpatent.png

Last edited:
Isn't that the principle patent involved in their huge judgment against Samsung?

Isn't that the principle patent involved in their huge judgment against Samsung?

Yes. Samsung though lost the case so I don't know if they can appeal it after settling.

This decision that U.S. patent office declares 'the Steve Jobs patent' entirely invalid might be good or bad it depends.They the right submit appeal against it

intellectual property attorneys

Last edited:
Bit of a thread jack, but you can add this to the list of things wrong with the patent system:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/01/patent-trolls-want-1000-for-using-scanners/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arstechnica%2Findex+%28Ars+Technica+-+All+content%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

When Steven Vicinanza got a letter in the mail earlier this year informing him that he needed to pay $1,000 per employee for a license to some “distributed computer architecture” patents, he didn’t quite believe it at first. The letter seemed to be saying anyone using a modern office scanner to scan documents to e-mail would have to pay—which is to say, just about any business, period.

If he'd paid up, the IT services provider that Vicinanza founded, BlueWave Computing, would have owed $130,000.

The letters, he soon found out, were indeed real and quite serious—he wasn't the only person getting them. BlueWave works mostly with small and mid-sized businesses in the Atlanta area, and before long, several of his own customers were contacting him about letters they had received from the same mysterious entity: "Project Paperless LLC."

"I was just mad."

Vicinanza soon got in touch with the attorney representing Project Paperless: Steven Hill, a partner at Hill, Kertscher & Wharton, an Atlanta law firm.

"[Hill] was very cordial and very nice," he told Ars. "He said, if you hook up a scanner and e-mail a PDF document—we have a patent that covers that as a process."

It didn’t seem credible that Hill was demanding money for just using basic office equipment exactly the way it was intended to be used. So Vicinanza clarified:

"So you're claiming anyone on a network with a scanner owes you a license?" asked Vicinanza. "He said, 'Yes, that's correct.' And at that point, I just lost it."

Vicinanza made the unusual choice to fight back against Hill and “Project Paperless”—and actually ended up with a pretty resounding victory. But the Project Paperless patents haven’t gone away. Instead, they’ve been passed on to a network of at least eight different shell companies with six-letter names like AdzPro, GosNel, and FasLan. Those entities are now sending out hundreds, if not thousands, of copies of the same demand letter to small businesses from New Hampshire to Minnesota. (For simplicity, I'll just refer to one of those entities, AdzPro.)

America Land of Opportunity or Capitalism Red in Tooth and Claw. Take your pick...

Back
Top Bottom